Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Abramovich is not a bystander in this, he is utterly culpable. He's known in the Kremlin as Mr A, he used to live in the Kremlin and it's said he's like a son to Putin

Could  he take Vlad round for a walk in his garden and sack him then please?

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Could  he take Vlad round for a walk in his garden and sack him then please?

We could then make him a lord and he can live in London forever. Seems fair.

Some have had their assets (super yachts) seized. We’re letting Roman sell his stuff and keep the money.

Thats an extremely soft stance on such a prominent Russian in Putin’s circle.

We should take Chelsea FC and his properties. Then hold them for a while and he can maybe have them back if he influences his boss for the better.

It obviously stinks of the Tories being in a difficult position with RA and wanting to appear to be doing something without upsetting him too much.

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

You don't expect the local news to cover a story about an armed robbery involving people swinging axes around in the street threatening people in broad daylight?

No, it's not that - it was a response to the previous post on on BBC breakfast skipping past the topic.

I got in the car, chased latest news, and with full seriousness, shock, distress, the presenter broke the most disturbing news - I was thinking they might mention something that happened in Ukraine, I was a bit thrown back.

You are correct, the armed robbery should be mentioned. I guess it just put things into perspective when you consider what's happening around the world. 

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The Monroe Doctrine has covered numerous grubby and illegal interventions of the US into South and Central america. Panama, Nicaragua, supporting Pinochet in Chile, etc,etc.

I had a conversation with an American about this recently, and he pointed out that John Kerry said in a speech in 2013 or something that 'the era of the Monroe Doctrine is over' or words to that effect, and this American seemed to feel that this was a devastating blow to my argument, but come on, we weren't born yesterday. America has been enforcing an economic blockade on one of its closest neighbours for more than half a century!

• Like 2

I think it’s fairly obvious by now that the government are scared of what these Oligarchs / party donors might say to the media if they’re sanctioned too hard, too fast.

The government will have to sanction them at some point, they’ll understand that themselves but it’s being negotiated in a way that allows those being sanctioned to get their affairs in order beforehand. Long story short, it’s a a joke, in keeping with the wider Tory MO for governance.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

Chelsea should be the first top flight football club to be owned by the Government. The government should be the one's selling it and giving the money to Ukraine. Letting Abramovic sell it is not imposing the sanctions

If we are going to start doing these sort of things, based on " moral compass " and ostracising owners for the actions of their governments, 90 percent of our favourite Premier League clubs, would be government owned, including ours.

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

Chelsea should be the first top flight football club to be owned by the Government. The government should be the one's selling it and giving the money to Ukraine. Letting Abramovic sell it is not imposing the sanctions

100%. The government needs to strip these assets not give them chance to sell and help Russians with the proceeds. Because that is what is happening. He's not giving the proceeds to the Ukraine ffs.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bickster said:

I don't get the point of this, it isn't remotely true and even the gestures depicted do have a point.

Never in my lifetime have I seen so many countries come together and act so swiftly in supplying arms and aid (and highly likely advice and intelligence behind the scenes) to a country as the Ukrainians have recieved

Yet it’s still likely that Russia will take the country eventually.  While you don’t agree with the point, Russia most likely still get what they want and yes they will be slightly crippled by it but that’s no use the Ukrainians who will have lost and the rest of the world can walk away saying “at least we worked together to support them from afar”.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we are going to start doing these sort of things, based on " moral compass " and ostracising owners for the actions of their governments, 90 percent of our favourite Premier League clubs, would be government owned, including ours.

I dont see a problem with that myself. **** Newcastle, **** City for a start. Arsenal get away with sportwashing so **** them too

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't think it's "moral compass" here. It would be a case of the UK government seizing assets from people that have been sanctioned by the UK government. I'm pretty sure if Chelsea FC was a superyacht, it would have been hightailed out of London some time ago. Unfortunately for Roman, removing a chunk of land mass is a difficult task.

Have Wes and Nasif been backing autocratic leaders? Or why do you think including ours?

I could see a case being made for the seizing of Newcastle and City due to the their owners extra curricular activities, however their owners are commiting atrocities in a place that is of no strategic importance to Europe and therefore they haven't been sanctioned by the UK, Germany or anyone else.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Interesting that you think Abramovich and the Russian government aren't entwined.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yet it’s still likely that Russia will take the country eventually.  While you don’t agree with the point, Russia most likely still get what they want and yes they will be slightly crippled by it but that’s no use the Ukrainians who will have lost and the rest of the world can walk away saying “at least we worked together to support them from afar”.

I also don't want WW3

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I would argue that, one of the reasons they have been able to put up such strong resistance thus far, is because of all the support they have been recieving world wide.

Great we have basically given Ukrainians more knives in a gun fight.

I don’t know what the answer is but all we seem to be doing is delaying the inevitable rather than stopping/intervening or pushing back.  We know what Putins goal is, what is our goal.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Great we have basically given Ukrainians more knives in a gun fight.

I don’t know what the answer is but all we seem to be doing is delaying the inevitable rather than stopping/intervening or pushing back.  We know what Putins goal is, what is our goal.

Avoiding WW3 whilst providing Ukraine with as much aid as is possible.

Rock and hard place, in many respects.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

100%. The government needs to strip these assets not give them chance to sell and help Russians with the proceeds. Because that is what is happening. He's not giving the proceeds to the Ukraine ffs.

You don't think there are innocent Russian civilians, who have nothing to do with the war, who are and will suffer as well?

Although I've realised the narrative is that, to show our humanity, and how much we care about the people in Ukraine, is also to show how little we care about average people in Russia. Brilliant! They've been blanket dehumanised in the court of public opinion.

It's always " us Vs them " ... whenever I see this whipped up Mobb mentality, it makes me realise as a human race, we haven't evolved much at all.

If there are Russians who wanted to donate to their OWN people who might be suffering via war and sanctions, as much as some hate it, it should be their perogative.

In the grand scheme of things, Oligarch money is a drop in the bucket, of what is costs to be at war.

You start just deciding who's assets can get stripped, you are on a slippery slope.

This leaves the door open for governments then being able to indiscriminately do this to anyone.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Â