17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

12 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Don't care about topping the league at this stage. Do care about coming second.  As long as Wolves beat Cardiff and Derby and don't beat us, I don't care what their other results are.  Cardiff v Derby would be a good draw also.

This is the ideal scenario.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roonst83 said:

The problem, and indeed real difference, here is that unlike Fulham Bruce won’t believe we can beat Wolves and will almost certainly play it safe. Fulham went for Wolves and played on the front foot wherever possible and it rattled Wolves. Bruce is just too cautious. We’re only in the hunt for second and it’s imperative we stay in touch with and beat Cardiff (and Derby) when they visit VP. 

Wolves will run out winners I’m sure and it’s all to play for for second, in my opinion.

In my view it’s misguided and unfair to say Bruce “won’t believe we can beat Wolves”.

I think he is a cautious Manager, and I think it’s cost us at times, ( of course the opposite may be true !!) but he isn’t cautious because he doesn’t think we can win, he’s cautious when he is because he thinks it’s his best chance of winning.

Filham do indeed play a different way to us. At the moment however, our way ( Bruce’s way) is the more successful.

And we aren’t only in the hunt for second. As a matter of opinion, yes, as a statement of fact, no. 

And seeing as how footballs great attraction is it’s unpredictability I for one will wait and see. I’ve seen many many many more extraordinary things in football than a side letting a 10 point lead with 36 points to play for slip up.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't see how that changes anything?

We can't ask for points by telling the football League we had a shit start so they need to adjust the points to reflect only the last 31 games.

Both them and Cardiff had VERY good starts, and have been overall more consistent than us.

That is why we are where we are, and they are, where they are.

Well, you mentioned their “ incredible form”, and their FORM over the last 31 games is the same as ours.

Their form over the last 10 is worse.

A good start means nothing if you have a poor finish, it’s just more eye catching.

I happen to agree they are a good side and will likely finish top, but @Eastie makes a valid point.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dick said:

I still think we can finish 1st

I hope we can too but for sure 2nd is up grabs...on that note of promotion and apologies if this is already a separate thread (I did look and couldn't find one) but how many of the current squad, if we get promoted, would you keep and how many would you think we need to replace?...

Assuming Terry leaves and we secure some of the loans as permanent..would it realistically be far off this?...I cannot work out if I am being too harsh or too generous but Bruce or whoever the manager will be could have quite the job on their hands to build a prem squad capable of staying in the division...

Johnstone?

Elmo? Chester      ?         ?

Snodgrass Hourihane?    ?        Adomah

Grealish

Hogan?      

Squad Players?

Hopefully good enough..Davis, RHM, Green, O Hare, Sulliman, Taylor, Grabban

Maybe? Steer? Jedinak? Hutton? 

18 minutes ago, Stevomanila said:

I hope we can too but for sure 2nd is up grabs...on that note of promotion and apologies if this is already a separate thread (I did look and couldn't find one) but how many of the current squad, if we get promoted, would you keep and how many would you think we need to replace?...

Assuming Terry leaves and we secure some of the loans as permanent..would it realistically be far off this?...I cannot work out if I am being too harsh or too generous but Bruce or whoever the manager will be could have quite the job on their hands to build a prem squad capable of staying in the division...

Johnstone?

Elmo? Chester      ?         ?

Snodgrass Hourihane?    ?        Adomah

Grealish

Hogan?      

Squad Players?

Hopefully good enough..Davis, RHM, Green, O Hare, Sulliman, Taylor, Grabban

Maybe? Steer? Jedinak? Hutton? 

Johnstone

Elmo - Chester - Terry or another - Taylor

New DM

Grealish - Hourihane  / new CM

Snoddy - Green / Adomah

Benteke

Sorted.

Edited by Dick
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dick said:

I still think we can finish 1st

I think any team is capable of going on a mental run towards the end of the year and picking up win after win. I thought it might be us after the 7 in a row.

Now I am not too sure. We need Jack from here to play every game and be on the top of his game.

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think any team is capable of going on a mental run towards the end of the year and picking up win after win. I thought it might be us after the 7 in a row.

Now I am not too sure. We need Jack from here to play every game and be on the top of his game.

I’d rather we make the run and do it at the very last minute, than take the top spot with a few games to go and - typically Villa, give it away. The way we beat Wednesday should make us think we can do anything.

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

Well, you mentioned their “ incredible form”, and their FORM over the last 31 games is the same as ours.

Their form over the last 10 is worse.

A good start means nothing if you have a poor finish, it’s just more eye catching.

I happen to agree they are a good side and will likely finish top, but @Eastie makes a valid point.

I agree with what you are saying, but you are cherry picking the games. They are first, we are third, that is the true picture.

• Like 2

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

I agree with what you are saying, but you are cherry picking the games. They are first, we are third, that is the true picture.

I’m not cherry picking I’m just pointing out we’ve matched them for a while - cherry picking always suggests to me an attempt to misleadingly manipulate facts.

Of course the positions are the true picture. But all I said was true as well.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Indeed ,but their form is far from incredible with 3 wins  in those last 10 matches which was the point I was making - it’s not incredible form .

their current form is average at best. 

‘Nobody is doubting they are the better team .

7 wins  in 7 like we had or Cardiff’s recent run of 4 wins in 11 days may be incredible form - 3 wins in 10 games is not .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Indeed ,but their form is far from incredible with 3 wins  in those last 10 matches which was the point I was making - it’s not incredible form .

their current form is average at best. 

‘Nobody is doubting they are the better team .

7 wins  in 7 like we had or Cardiff’s recent run of 4 wins in 11 days may be incredible form - 3 wins in 10 games is not .

well if they don't finish 1st that could be argued

• Like 1