17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't know who is in charge of our PR but bloody hell never seen it so good.

Screenshot_20180228-172232.png

I see both Jack and Albert are listed there. I shall be holding the club to that and now fully expect they will both feature on Saturday :D

Could be a lot of games off this weekend if the forecast comes true - regardless of pitches health and safety of the surrounding areas will see many games fall foul of the weather . 

‘Seems there are even severe doubts about arsenal v man city tomorrow due to the surrounding area being unsafe .

Heavy snow due in the midlands tomorrow and Friday could see severe disruption to efl fixtures .

Edited by Eastie

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

IMO it’s not whether he’s proactive or reactive.

He has a way of playing. It is worked on week in and week out. It’s his way. To some it is over cautious, to others it is failing to exploit our strengths, to others it is pragmatic and proven successful.

All Managers have their own way, all are Proactive, all are Reactive.

For myself I thought last year his caution cost us points ( although of course it may have gained them, as was his intention).

And this year I thought his approach would prevent us doing as well as I thought we could with the players we had......but we are right in the hunt and he has proved his methods still work.

We're certainly more in the hunt than I thought we would be, based on what we saw last season and at the start of this season.

42 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Could be a lot of games off this weekend if the forecast comes true - regardless of pitches health and safety of the surrounding areas will see many games fall foul of the weather . 

‘Seems there are even severe doubts about arsenal v man city tomorrow due to the surrounding area being unsafe .

Heavy snow due in the midlands tomorrow and Friday could see severe disruption to efl fixtures .

Hopefully should clear up by Saturday.

5 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

Really interesting, and i do agree with your predictions place/standing wise come the season end. However, does your system factor in playing home/away? I think that factor plays a crucial part.

No it doesn't because firstly I wasn't sure how to add a suitable weighting to the points system, secondly I'm not sure if certain teams are better away than they are at home and finally...well it was too difficult!

I recognise the simplicity of the data. To be completely unbiased I'd like to add some weighting for home and away, add some weighting for WHEN you play these teams (a relegation threatened team might be harder in April than March conversely) and add some weighting for current form - but all of those require some level of interpretation which the initial data doesn't require.

And most important of all - data is not important enough to make all that effort worthwhile! This data just gives a rough picture that can point to general indications. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Nigel said:

I think you are getting confused about the definition of 'pro-active'!

creating or controlling a situation by causing something to happen rather than responding to it after it has happened! so you can be proactive from the start. You can’t be reactive from the start so I think I’ve got the definition correct. Bruce sets us up not to lose more often than not and then reacts. I even stated we are better when we go at teams when we take the initiative and when we take control. Too many times we don’t do that. We’ve got lucky a few times recently and if we are to get 2nd we need to be proactive. 

7 hours ago, dn1982 said:

creating or controlling a situation by causing something to happen rather than responding to it after it has happened! so you can be proactive from the start. You can’t be reactive from the start so I think I’ve got the definition correct. Bruce sets us up not to lose more often than not and then reacts. I even stated we are better when we go at teams when we take the initiative and when we take control. Too many times we don’t do that. We’ve got lucky a few times recently and if we are to get 2nd we need to be proactive. 

It's not just you but I think the term 'proactive' has become a bit all encompassing for everything great. Being proactive has nothing to do with attacking play, in most cases its quite the opposite.

Being proactive means dealing with a problem before it arises, not just attacking a team all the time. The charactistics will change with every game....a lot of the time with negative tactics to nullify threats....mourinho is such a manager.

I think what you were describing is an attacking manager. However I'm not sure how successful you can be with this one way of playing.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, roonst83 said:

We're certainly more in the hunt than I thought we would be, based on what we saw last season and at the start of this season.

Not in my opinion. With the team Bruce has had, we should be a lot closer to Wolves, if not ahead.

• Like 1

Just now, Taxahunter said:

Not in my opinion. With the team Bruce has had, we should be a lot closer to Wolves, if not ahead.

If we were given the same luck with injuries Id agree with you.  You have seen how Wolves have been recently without their best player.

We have had horrendous luck in this department, and this has to be taken into consideration.

• Like 1

Just now, Nigel said:

If we were given the same luck with injuries Id agree with you.  You have seen how Wolves have been recently without their best player.

We have had horrendous luck in this department, and this has to be taken into consideration.

Other teams have been hit by injuries as well, Bruce should just have kept on playing players in the positions they normally would instead of trying to shift them around and play them out of position. But again, that is just my opinion

Just now, Taxahunter said:

Other teams have been hit by injuries as well, Bruce should just have kept on playing players in the positions they normally would instead of trying to shift them around and play them out of position. But again, that is just my opinion

How many of the teams in and around us have had the same injury concerns?

Some like Wednesday have had them short term, but they are not out rivals.

Its all well and good saying they should have played other players in the direct same positions but you cant replace your best players no matter the system.

We have done fantastically well to be where we are with the hand that was dealt.

Wolves have not at any point this season, had injuries like ours. Yet when they dont have neves they struggle badly. let them pick up 6-7 injuries lets see how they do. i bet they would not do very well 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Picking teams and setting them up to attack from the outset is being proactive. It’s not just about in game management. In a lot of games it’s let’s keep it tight and see how we go but we are far better on the front foot. 

I am not contesting that he adopts caution in his set up.....but being cautious and being reactive is not the same thing.I think it depends on the context.

on many, many occasions at Villa Park, i have seen Steve Bruce waving players forward and with 53 goals to date and 32 against we can hardly be described as defensive, some could say naive, that a thinking man plays it cautious....its an opinion, nothing more.

its very subjective, some could say .....all out attack is cavalier and can lack composure.

I have always favoured, keep it tight and grown in to the game....but thats just me, we all have our favoured way.

it used to be known during our finest season in recent times 1980/81.....Villa go one up, game over, slight exaggeration, but that was the epitome of our defending and containment....110% workrate was our mantra.

I don't think ( someone can correct me) that we have ever had a gungho team.....maybe 1977 was the closest in my time.

ps I also think a manager is influenced by the skill base of the players he has available to him.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

It's not just you but I think the term 'proactive' has become a bit all encompassing for everything great. Being proactive has nothing to do with attacking play, in most cases its quite the opposite.

Being proactive means dealing with a problem before it arises, not just attacking a team all the time. The charactistics will change with every game....a lot of the time with negative tactics to nullify threats....mourinho is such a manager.

I think what you were describing is an attacking manager. However I'm not sure how successful you can be with this one way of playing.

I agree with your deduction.

most teams that attack all the time have the best players around with the skills to do it, hence the old chesnut......."the best form of defence is attack".....its a valid claim if you have the players to sustain attack for 90 minutes, but who has?.....very few.

2 hours ago, Taxahunter said:

Other teams have been hit hard....sheff wed as an example, but in our case they are arguably our best players and attacking players.

19 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

No it doesn't because firstly I wasn't sure how to add a suitable weighting to the points system, secondly I'm not sure if certain teams are better away than they are at home and finally...well it was too difficult!

I recognise the simplicity of the data. To be completely unbiased I'd like to add some weighting for home and away, add some weighting for WHEN you play these teams (a relegation threatened team might be harder in April than March conversely) and add some weighting for current form - but all of those require some level of interpretation which the initial data doesn't require.

And most important of all - data is not important enough to make all that effort worthwhile! This data just gives a rough picture that can point to general indications. 

So by deduction....its best to wait and see.:)

• Thanks 1

Our games at home to Cardiff and Leeds are both being shown live on sky as well as Norwich away so that’s 3 games in 6 days with the Leeds game moved to fri night .

with the derby game  likely to be screened live too that means only one of our last 11 games will be a 3pm Saturday kick off.

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1