17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

10 minutes ago, a m ole said:

we aim to win every game, that should be the strategy. A draw against Fulham doesn’t hold off Cardiff or Derby. Fulham might look good but they’d have to overhaul 7 points on us, we can’t look that far down.

I think only the Wolves match should be where we approach with caution and consider playing for a draw in the latter stages depending on where we are.

I think it depends on how caution is defined in terms of our approach.

They have a fine home record and on on form, scoring lots of goals.....gungho would be equally as stupid.

despite our impressive back line (on paper), we still are suseptible to conceding goals as was illustrated against Burton.

an approach similar to Middlesborough away, would be sensible.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I said when this run started and we were a bit off of Derby 2 pts a game will get us 2nd so from our next 6 we have 4 very winnable games and 2 tough but winnable so I’d take a draw on Saturday now but 3 would be nice. What’s our record of consecutive wins?

18 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

I said when this run started and we were a bit off of Derby 2 pts a game will get us 2nd so from our next 6 we have 4 very winnable games and 2 tough but winnable so I’d take a draw on Saturday now but 3 would be nice. What’s our record of consecutive wins?

11 i believe. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, a m ole said:

we aim to win every game, that should be the strategy. A draw against Fulham doesn’t hold off Cardiff or Derby. Fulham might look good but they’d have to overhaul 7 points on us, we can’t look that far down.

I think only the Wolves match should be where we approach with caution and consider playing for a draw in the latter stages depending on where we are.

At villa park we shouldn’t be looking to play for a draw against anyone in this division - wolves are very beatable .

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

At villa park we shouldn’t be looking to play for a draw against anyone in this division - wolves are very beatable .

As Swansea have recently shown.

18 minutes ago, Eastie said:

They’ve lost the same number of games as us over their last 28 league games and taken 4 points more than us in that period .

the big difference being they took 9 from  their 1st 3 games and we took 1 point - not that much between us since then and no reason to play for a draw against them at home .

Interesting.

49 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Agreed. I would venture to say Wolves will not play a better team than us in the run in, and they will know it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think it depends on how caution is defined in terms of our approach.

They have a fine home record and on on form, scoring lots of goals.....gungho would be equally as stupid.

despite our impressive back line (on paper), we still are suseptible to conceding goals as was illustrated against Burton.

an approach similar to Middlesborough away, would be sensible.

yeah i’m thinking in terms of your classic “play for a draw”. It would be totally fine to knick the first goal and stop all risk taking after that against Fulham.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

yep but if it’s 1-1 say in the 80th, not sure it’s worth the risk. Any other game, definitely.

16 minutes ago, a m ole said:

yep but if it’s 1-1 say in the 80th, not sure it’s worth the risk. Any other game, definitely.

Risk losing one point to gain 3 points seems a good gamble to me ,especially at home . 

Edited by Eastie

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We should be going for the 3 points every game from here until the end of the season. Play on the front foot, score goals. Follow the great man. Haway!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsK4STDLQWPWx0ZRiK50G

Right philosophy but wrong man, fixed :)

Steve-Bruce-903865.jpg

Edited by Eastie

This may sound a bit defeatist but I would take a draw with Fulham right now.

I rate them as our biggest rivals for automatic promotion.  They're on the same run as last year which saw them storm into the playoffs from nowhere, only they've come good earlier.  A draw means they don't make up any ground, whereas I think Cardiff and Derby will drop more points in the coming weeks - including to Fulham.

• Like 1

I think we can overwhelm fulham If we go at them. I think we have such a strong core defensively that we can afford to do it as well. 

Same as last week. The defence beat them physically and allow Grealish, Hourihane, Adomah and Snodgrass to tear them apart.

I would take a view, where we stay in the game, in other words containment.....and catch them on the break.....but it depends on how the game plays out....we could go out and blitz them.

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would take a view, where we stay in the game, in other words containment.....and catch them on the break.....but it depends on how the game plays out....we could go out and blitz them.

The last 3 away games have seen 1-0 wins and I see this being similar - keeping it tight at the back and nicking a goal at the other end