17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

That was a good performance and a great result. The team looked well up for it.

Unfortunately, it just illustrates what they might have achieved with a different manager.

We still have a chance of automatic promotion, but it is unlikely. So what I want is Fulham to go up automatically.

If Bruce can get this team playing to their potential, we can beat any of the teams likely to be in the playoffs. Unfortunately I am far from convinced by the manager's abilities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Unfortunately, it just illustrates what they might have achieved with a different manager.

We still have a chance of automatic promotion, but it is unlikely. So what I want is Fulham to go up automatically.

If Bruce can get this team playing to their potential, we can beat any of the teams likely to be in the playoffs. Unfortunately I am far from convinced by the manager's abilities.

This is something which I question as well.

Will we employ a game plan that is tailored to our opposition, and enables us to compete (or dominate) and play with chemistry?

Will we see four strikers on the pitch if we end up chasing the game? Further frustrating the teams ability to impose themselves on the game meaningfully.

Allowing forward players freedom to play their game is good when you have the talent, which we do, so I don't think it's fair for me to criticise Bruce there.

I will say though that we are not a team with drilled in systems which add to the magic and make the team less dependent on a piece of individual skill to create chances.

We seem fairly dependent on our individual efforts and nous to construct team performances rather than tactical nous which enhances those individual abilities through rapport and cohesion.

• Like 3

Only thing positive is we play first this weekend and a win puts pressure on teams above us. Fulham havent been in lead yet so might buckle under pressure and Cardiff hitting a slump

5 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Does it highlight that?.....is it a foregone conclusion another manager would have fulfilled our dreams.?....its a nice thought, I have to agree.

I seen nothing from last nights  game to suggest that.

on the basis of what you're convinced of, we might as well throw the towel in.

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

On the other hand one could argue that the ‘ other’ Manager might only have ever got Norwich performances  out of them ?

I have my issues with Bruce but I’m not convinced by some of the logic used to argue against him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Does it highlight that?.....is it a foregone conclusion another manager would have fulfilled our dreams.?....its a nice thought, I have to agree.

I think that's a tad unfair, to say that AntrimBlack's comments are synonymous with throwing the towel in.

While I don't align myself with the idea that another manager would be doing a better job, I think it's reasonable to have doubts about some aspects of Bruce's methodology. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TRO said:

From my last 2 sentences, Tro, you will see that I, far from throwing in the trowel, am still hopeful of promotion.

I obviously cannot know what a different manager might have achieved, but I can only base my opinion on what I have seen of Bruce.

You, of course, have an equally valid opposing opinion, and we really would not need this forum if we all agreed about everything.

But, more importantly, Tro, managers come and go, and you and I, whoever that manager, will always love and support our Aston Villa.

I know alot of people are saying they want to avoid Millwall, I think I would rather avoid Boro as they have game winners like adama and bamford who could win them a game. Also Pulis is a very good manager. I think Millwall are dangerous but we have individuals who are better players so iIF we we were to put in a performance that we know we can, we will win. 

• Like 1

So we can finish with the maximum of 88 points

Fulham are 7 away from that (2 wins 1 draw a possible combination) and 12 more points to play for so that would be dropping 5 points.

Cardiff are 8 points away from that (2 wins 2 draws a possible combination) with 15 more points to play for so that would be dropping 7 points.

Derby are 20 points away from that with 12 more points to play for so would come up 8 points short even if they won all their games.

We're one behind Cardiff and five behind Fulham with goal difference currently but that would surely improve if we win win win and they do not.

Image result for candyman gif

I've got a good feeling we are going to go up automatically on goal difference.

• Thanks 1