Entrance music

sidcow

14 minutes ago, hogso said:

Thinking about Sabbath lyrics, Sweet Leaf could pretty easily be about Villa. So that.

With Tony coughing as the fanfare, just before the teams come out? I like it!

10 hours ago, Ginko said:

Iron Man by Sabbath. Great tune, instantly recognisable, dare I say even iconic intro, even if we only get people singing 'I am iron man' it'd be atmospheric, good thematically to get the players and fans ready for the game and by arguably the best band Birmingham has produced. And obviously Geezer is a massive Villan, Ozzy too, maybe.

No brainer for me.

I was born in in 1970 and wouldn't recognise any Sabbath song which was not paranoid. I would bet 80% of people on a match day would have no attachment to that song whatsoever. 

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

:trollface:

I think people over think the entrance music, I couldn't give a ****. I'd be happier I reckon if we didn't enter to any music at all.

Can any of our older generation tell me when that became a 'thing'? I can vaguely remember back to 92, but I don't remember hearing anything then?

It was after a pre season tour where we played a US team (Baltimore Blast?) who ran out to We Will Rock You in true American Razzle Dazzle stylee so we imported it. About the same time Man Ure started running out to We Are The champions and a new thing was borne, the Genie was out of the bottle and I doubt it will be returned. 

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

:trollface:

I think people over think the entrance music, I couldn't give a ****. I'd be happier I reckon if we didn't enter to any music at all.

Can any of our older generation tell me when that became a 'thing'? I can vaguely remember back to 92, but I don't remember hearing anything then?

I seem to remember it started after Sunderland got their new ground and they did the whole thing as well as anyone's ever done it. I reckon it was at the end of the 90s. Then other clubs started their variants of it.  Sunderland did it well, no one else really has, though Newcastle, wolves , Albion and even Chelsea sort of did it ok

It was May 1992 we played Baltimore Blast so I would guess we started doing it at the start of the he 1992 - 1993 season. 

On reflection I think it would be brilliant to stop doing anything. I remember the players walking out into a wall of noise created by the fans. The music dilutes it hugely, I think the crowd would be more intimidating for the opposition than any piece of music especially as no one else is doing it so it would be more unsettling for them. 

Edited by sidcow

I'd prefer no music . But if we must play something we have a song, a song that conjours up wonderful memories for any of us who went in the seventies, it's as close as we will ever get to a theme song, and it's Theme from an Unmade Silent Movie. If I had my way that would always be played, if not as we come out, within ten minutes of kick off.

As it happens it's always the last one I gave on in my car as I arrive at the ground, so I'm inhabiting my own little seventies world every time , lucky me !

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

I would guess we started doing it at the start of the he 1992 - 1993 season

No way sid - the Holte was still standing then. I'm sure we didn't start with any of this music nonsense until it was all seater. I could be wrong, I suppose

• Like 1

To be honest anyone under the age of 25 is going to hear 'Theme from an unmade silent movie' and think what the **** is this shit and what does it have to do with Aston Villa? I'm 33 and I don't know what it's connection is really. A song we played in the 70's? I think it's pap to tell you the truth. 

Football spans generations, if we have to have walk out music then surely we can find something that suits the majority?

38 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

Without a doubt we were playing music in the 80's as the players walked out

There's a difference between the general pre-match playing of music over the tannoy, the "and happy birthday to Kevin Smith from Erdington, who sits in the Witton Lane stand" type stuff they used to do and the kind of contrived fanfare/entrance music thing they do these days. In the 80s they just used to have the PA announcer play some records and read out marriage proposals, anniversaries and birthdays and stuff. Not the same IMO.

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

There's a difference between the general pre-match playing of music over the tannoy, the "and happy birthday to Kevin Smith from Erdington, who sits in the Witton Lane stand" type stuff they used to do and the kind of contrived fanfare/entrance music thing they do these days. In the 80s they just used to have the PA announcer play some records and read out marriage proposals, anniversaries and birthdays and stuff. Not the same IMO.

We used to run out to the theme from the unmade silent movie , thus why it appears on many of the videos from that era

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

To be honest anyone under the age of 25 is going to hear 'Theme from an unmade silent movie' and think what the **** is this shit and what does it have to do with Aston Villa? I'm 33 and I don't know what it's connection is really. A song we played in the 70's? I think it's pap to tell you the truth. 

Football spans generations, if we have to have walk out music then surely we can find something that suits the majority?

Then if they played it you would eventually find it meaningful. 

Its been played many times since the seventies.

Im sure there are Evertonians who have no idea why they play Z Cars, and Blues fans who don't know why they sing 'Road'.

Part of the richness of football is it's history. We don't ignore our Cup triumphs because some are too young to remember them .

As for ' the majority' - looking around I see plenty of people over 40 anyway.

And WHY should it 'appeal to the majority' ? It's not X Factor.

If we just want a song everybody knows they could come out to Happy Birthday To You.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I remember thinking it was awful back then  , sounds even worse now

Â