Entrance music

sidcow

For info it's more than a song we played.

We came out to it. 

But back then in the days before mass travel and Sky many of us used to listen to away games on the radio, and it was used every weekend, and ( with special memories) weeknights, at all sorts of times, including but not only when we scored. 

Football does indeed span generations. I listened to that song at home and at the Holte End with my late Dad and my late Brother in the seventies, my first proper girlfriend in the eighties, my ex-wife in the nineties, and occasionally with my Son in the noughties.

I won't be the only one , so I think it has more resonance than 'something we all know'

• Like 1

On 13/03/2017 at 13:13, hogso said:

Thinking about Sabbath lyrics, Sweet Leaf could pretty easily be about Villa. So that.

When I was younger my elder brother told me that was about them enjoying tea......

36 minutes ago, mattyvilla said:

We used to run out to the theme from the unmade silent movie , thus why it appears on many of the videos from that era

My memory must be fading then. I remember Tony Butler playing it on BRMB Radio and I remember it being played in the ground from time to time, but as "run out" music in the 80s...nope. Mind blank. I think I'm going senile.

• Like 1

Said it before.

Another reason why we should have gotten Wagner as manager. Intro music would been sorted then.

Sure we now have Bruce as manager, but I can't really find any song by "The Boss" that fits...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blandy said:

No way sid - the Holte was still standing then. I'm sure we didn't start with any of this music nonsense until it was all seater. I could be wrong, I suppose

I definitely remember Doug Ellis going on about Baltimore Blast coming out to We Will Rock you and how we should do it at Villa Park. That was (according to the Oracle of Truth Google) may 1992 

the intro to this is great - the first 1 min 40 seconds ?  We could see them on the big screens in the tunnel area and they could "burst" on to the pitch just at the point where the intro ends   !

Edited by Hev

20 hours ago, sidcow said:

I definitely remember Doug Ellis going on about Baltimore Blast coming out to We Will Rock you and how we should do it at Villa Park. That was (according to the Oracle of Truth Google) may 1992 

20 hours ago, blandy said:

@sidcow I believe you. He was wrong about that as well. Maybe, just maybe it's seeping back into my mind. In fact I think I've blanked it because I hate Queen so much.

We definitely ran out to We Will Rock You, with a standing Holte.

Going off on a bit of a tangent here, but I remember a 90s, BBC cop show, set in Birmingham, and in one episode they featured a fictional match between Villa and Liverpool, where there was going to be a potential hooligan problem. I recall it showed a bunch of Villa fans in a pub, singing We Will Rock You. It was dreadful.  

EDIT: Looked it up, and the name of the show was, Backup. Anyone remember it? - Off Topic, I know mods. Apologies.

Edited by dAVe80

4 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

We definitely ran out to We Will Rock You, with a standing Holte.

Going off on a bit of a tangent here, but I remember a 90s, BBC cop show, set in Birmingham, and in one episode they featured a fictional match between Villa and Liverpool, where there was going to be a potential hooligan problem. I recall it showed a bunch of Villa fans in a pub, singing We Will Rock You. It was dreadful.  

EDIT: Looked it up, and the name of the show was, Backup. Anyone remember it? - Off Topic, I know mods. Apologies.

Yes it was pretty awful. The football hooligan one was probably the worst. 

They used to use a nightclub in John Bright Street (whatever it was that Boogies became) as their drinking den. 

It was one of those shows that tried really hard to be edgy and controversial but it just felt all so unnecessary and desperate. 

And there was the brummy accents............. 

• Like 1

The idea has been around since i started watching the villa in the early 70's - We used to come on to MOTD theme - or a great tune made famous by tony butler , never did find out what it was called.

Big Ron made a big thing out of we will rock you - theres been few others here and there - it seems to be an idea that flits in and out of favour every few years....

On 13/03/2017 at 13:33, dAVe80 said:

With Tony coughing as the fanfare, just before the teams come out? I like it!

Hippo hippo it was Theme from an Unmade Silent Movie by Hurricane Smith - see my earlier Posts in this thread ..

On 14/03/2017 at 14:21, terrytini said:

I'd prefer no music . But if we must play something we have a song, a song that conjours up wonderful memories for any of us who went in the seventies, it's as close as we will ever get to a theme song, and it's Theme from an Unmade Silent Movie. If I had my way that would always be played, if not as we come out, within ten minutes of kick off.

As it happens it's always the last one I gave on in my car as I arrive at the ground, so I'm inhabiting my own little seventies world every time , lucky me !

It's my wake up alarm every day :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Â