What's wrong at Villa?

turvontour

2 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Why? Because Sherwood gave us top 6 finishes, brought players in to make them play as a team and got them into the England squad?
No, he didn't... He fluked getting us to an FA cup final (which we took a hiding in) then got found out...

At least we had something to cheer about under MON

The thing about the O'Neill is that it was built on sand. It was dependent on what was at the time very heavy spending by Lerner. O'Neill isn't a bad manager by any stretch but he's not the genius that the media make out. I just fail to see how he'd do anymore than give us a short-term uplift.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The thing about the O'Neill is that it was built on sand. It was dependent on what was at the time very heavy spending by Lerner. O'Neill isn't a bad manager by any stretch but he's not the genius that the media make out. I just fail to see how he'd do anymore than give us a short-term uplift.

He is the best manager we have had in a long, long time mate - and i'd give a bollock to be able to enjoy watching the Villa again...

Sick of whats happened to our club in the past 6 years...
Its all Randy Lerners fault... I'll never forgive that man

Just now, DJ_Villain said:

He is the best manager we have had in a long, long time mate - and i'd give a bollock to be able to enjoy watching the Villa again...

Sick of whats happened to our club in the past 6 years...
Its all Randy Lerners fault... I'll never forgive that man

If by "long time" you mean 10 years then quite possibly, but then we've had a lot of poor managers over the years. Still, a lot of our "success" under him was down to the fact that we were huge spenders at the time.

15 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If by "long time" you mean 10 years then quite possibly, but then we've had a lot of poor managers over the years. Still, a lot of our "success" under him was down to the fact that we were huge spenders at the time.

This is true... You also have to give credit to Man City for **** shit up and fleecing us of our decent players when they could have afforded anyone in the world that they wanted... but the easiest route was to destabilise us first...

Arseholes...

Lerner and Man City... Thats why we are where we are now :(

My observations from the match tonight 

Hutton is everywhere but where he needs to be, ball watches and causes panic.

Baker may be an OK defender but never brings it forward, only plays it to the full backs way too early. Causes a lot of pressure unnecessarily

Hourihane is playing way too deep. Should in the position Grealish is in.

Adomah isn't worth playing. He's decently direct but can't cross to save his life.

Kodjia is useless out wide. As part of a 2 in the middle much better.

Grealish slows everything down far too much and will never pick a pass. Seems convinced he doesn't need to run.

Hogan wont make any angled runs

All the players seem terrified and the crowd is very edgy adding to the general unease. 

Refs seem desperate to even the score against nasty big old Aston Villa in favour of the plucky small clubs. Other teams players go down in challenges and get free kicks, we get nothing.

Bruce doesnt seem able to identify our weak points and change the personnel to fit.

6 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Refs seem desperate to even the score against nasty big old Aston Villa in favour of the plucky small clubs. Other teams players go down in challenges and get free kicks, we get nothing.

That's something I've noticed too. Doesn't excuse the position we're in of course, not even close, but it does feel as if the referees are desperate to not appear to be biased in our favour.

• Like 1

Let's assume we all decide that Bruce is the problem and had to go.

Are we really comfortable with the conclusion that McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Black, Di Matteo and Bruce are all so shit that they can't get anything from Villa?

To me there's something deeply wrong at this club. I hoped the change of owner would fix it but it seems to carry on.

I can't tell you what it is, but I can't believe that it's just a case of we keep choosing the wrong managers.

The fact that Bruce has such a good record in this league, started so well and has now turned to shit seems to further prove that even if a manager is decent, we'll still turn them to shit.

Same with the players. We've bought some of the best players in the league, and we're still crap.

What the **** is wrong?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Let's assume we all decide that Bruce is the problem and had to go.

Are we really comfortable with the conclusion that McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Black, Di Matteo and Bruce are all so shit that they can't get anything from Villa?

To me there's something deeply wrong at this club. I hoped the change of owner would fix it but it seems to carry on.

I can't tell you what it is, but I can't believe that it's just a case of we keep choosing the wrong managers.

The fact that Bruce has such a good record in this league, started so well and has now turned to shit seems to further prove that even if a manager is decent, we'll still turn them to shit.

Same with the players. We've bought some of the best players in the league, and we're still crap.

What the **** is wrong?

Im my opinion there are off the field problems at the club. We have to many chiefs - mostly new incumbents - you can be there are some power struggles going on... 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Im my opinion there are off the field problems at the club. We have to many chiefs - mostly new incumbents - you can be there are some power struggles going on... 

But why should that effect the players on the pitch?

We have a good squad and a supposedly good manager. Why should some boardroom battles make us play so shit in a match?

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes I am, very comfortable. The proof is when you look at what those managers have done since they left Villa. The answer is nothing, and none of them bar the only one on that list that was semi-competent Lambert have gone on do anything of note, (i.e. Failing at blackburn and doing okay at Wolves). Mcleish is whoring himself for the rangers job because he can't get work, Sherwood, Garde, Black and RDM will never work at any kind of level again and it looks like Bruce's time is up as a manager.  

Edited by villa89

The big problem for me this year has been the scatter gun, football manager esque transfer policy.

We appear to have signed lots of clubs best players who look good on paper, without any clear  plan as to how they will be integrated and utilised.

IMO the blame lies not only with the manager but those at the top making these decisions.

Edited by jim

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Yes I am, very comfortable. The proof is when you look at what those managers have done since they left Villa. The answer is nothing, and none of them bar the only one on that list that was semi-competent Lambert have gone on do anything of note, (i.e. Failing at blackburn and doing okay at Wolves). Mcleish is whoring himself for the rangers job because he can't get work, Sherwood, Garde, Black and RDM will never work at any kind of level again and it looks like Bruce's time is up as a manager.  

Fair enough.

Put it this way, if we sack bruce and hire another manager who is supposedly good, would I be confident that we'll turn it around?
I wouldn't. I think there's something else wrong with this club.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I wouldn't. I think there's something else wrong with this club.

I don't think that. I think if we appointed a good manager the ship that is Aston Villa would turnaround awful fast. I don't know who that manager is but if we got someone to do what Wagner has done at Huddersfield or Dyche has done at Burnley with the transfer budget we have then we'll easily be promoted out of this division.  

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I don't think that. I think if we appointed a good manager the ship that is Aston Villa would turnaround awful fast. I don't know who that manager is but if we got someone to do what Wagner has done at Huddersfield or Dyche has done at Burnley with the transfer budget we have then we'll easily be promoted out of this division.  

But Bruce was a good manager. He got out of this league last season.

He started off remarkably well here.

How is it that he's suddenly turned to shit?

It's simple, 2 successive owners that know sod all about football (except that you have to spend a shit load of money) making dumb ass managerial appointments and expecting it to be alright. Whilst Tony Xia may be a nice bloke with a pile of cash he really does need to get savvy about managers quickly otherwise he will end up being Lerner MK2.

Â