What's wrong at Villa?

turvontour

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's what we said about Lambert, and then Sherwood, and then garde, and then Di Matteo.

You have to say that without doubt those are 3 terrible appointments by anybodies standards.

Bruce with his 4 promotions on paper looks a safe bet, look at his time at Sunderland another big club, it mirrors exactly whats happening here only far quicker.

8 hours ago, turvontour said:

What pressure? There's been zero pressure. We're not a Newcastle who you just know were going to be at the top for most of the season and have put in team performances week in week out. We as a fanbase/club have been seemingly happy to accept midtable mediocrity this year, with the expectation that we make a push for promotion next year (understandably given the wholesale changes across the last nine months). Unfortunately, with us having not won for about 12 games the pressure will really start to build now, the results will start to matter.

The pressure of playing for a club with big expectations week in week out Hourihane Lansbury McCormack etc they haven't all become bad players over night I think they are struggling a bit with having pressure to produce the goods Villa is the biggest club they have played with if you look at some of the other teams signings a lot of them have dropped from the Premier league a lot of our signings over the last few windows Villa has been a step up for them .

8 hours ago, VillaEire said:

I could be talking nonsense here but could we have signed too many "leaders" in the last couple of windows? I welcomed it and I'm still not sure that it is a problem but the thought came to me last night watching the game. Footballers have big egos and maybe some of these guys need the armband and that status. We have several players who were captain at their previous club i.e. Lansbury, Hourihane, Elphick, RMC, Jedi  which should be a positive but would only be so if these strong willed players are all pulling in the same direction. Chester is captain so these guys would have to dampen the ego a bit and be more of a follower than maybe they are used to.

Again I have no hard evidence to back this point up and it's just a thought that struck me but I thought it might make for an interesting discussion as to the harmony of a group of players and getting the balance right.

I'm not sure that's the case tbh because a leader plays well whatever. I was captain for quite a few rugby teams but the higher I got the less I was given those opportunities.
It did frustrate me a little, especially when a captain was leading by opinion and not example but I just played my hardest and didn't worry about that because I was a captain who lead by example so nothing changed when I wasn't given the armband.
Maybe you're right about the ego's but you'd hope the scouts did their homework on attitude because high ego rarely delivers a good captain.

I think balance is important but the correct positional balance gets wins and ego's are forgotten when you're winning. I felt we were unlucky yesterday and we set up well enough to have beaten other teams in the league. Though I'm really not happy with Kodija playing wide with Hogan down the middle and Bjarn is a hardworking mdifielder (wide or middle) and definitely not a forward/winger.

• Like 1

The article by Chester was quite telling to me about the attitude inside the club .

James Chester has revealed that the atmosphere in Aston Villa’s dressing-room was so toxic that the players were scared to criticise each other. 

Villa’s skipper has lifted the lid on the mess inherited by Steve Bruce after a mixed start to the Geordie’s reign at the club. 

Bruce’s arrival saw an immediate impact, encouraging a belief that the former European champions could push themselves into the play-off mix.

But seven defeats in eight games has extinguished those hopes, and Chester, 28, said: “After our current run, we have not had any team ­meetings as such. But words are spoken after games – and it’s an element of this club that needs to improve.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-skipper-james-chester-9854822

28 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The article by Chester was quite telling to me about the attitude inside the club .

James Chester has revealed that the atmosphere in Aston Villa’s dressing-room was so toxic that the players were scared to criticise each other. 

Villa’s skipper has lifted the lid on the mess inherited by Steve Bruce after a mixed start to the Geordie’s reign at the club. 

Bruce’s arrival saw an immediate impact, encouraging a belief that the former European champions could push themselves into the play-off mix.

But seven defeats in eight games has extinguished those hopes, and Chester, 28, said: “After our current run, we have not had any team ­meetings as such. But words are spoken after games – and it’s an element of this club that needs to improve.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-skipper-james-chester-9854822

wow

Absolute disbelief 

• Like 1

There does seem a pattern developing at Villa..

"We need a leader on the pitch" .....solution .....buy lots of captains

"We need somone who can score goals".....solution.....buy lots of strikers

"We need somone to get us out of this league"....solution....Steve Bruce

All the best

Del

I realistically never expected promotion this season. But I'd didn't think we'd be this hopeless. A massive amount of spending by an enthusiastic new owner has resulted in a crap manager, crap players and crap results. It boggles the mind the degree of abject ineptitude that has permeated the whole club. Right now I truly wonder if we've been cursed. I have the same sinking inevitable feeling that this gets even worse.

10 hours ago, villarocker said:

A group of grown men can't talk and sort out what the problems are - that's baffling. They need to sort themselves out and earn their overpaid wages! 

Tony needs to bring in some Chinese monks to sort them out.

• Like 1

There's one common trait amongst all the crap that's gone on in the last 10 years - our owners aren't based here and are not seen around the place on a day-to-day basis. I know that goes for some of the bigger clubs too but the fact they're so big enables them to get the better quality players who are hungry to win things. 

I'm not saying it's the reason for how bad we've been but it could be a factor in all this mess. 

On 21/02/2017 at 08:57, Stevo985 said:

We'll sack Bruce, in will come the next manager and we'll still be shit, no matter who it is.

This is where I'm at. I'm not supporting Bruce or saying he is doing a good job but some people think that sacking the manager is instant success......

14 hours ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

I'm not sure that's the case tbh because a leader plays well whatever. I was captain for quite a few rugby teams but the higher I got the less I was given those opportunities.
It did frustrate me a little, especially when a captain was leading by opinion and not example but I just played my hardest and didn't worry about that because I was a captain who lead by example so nothing changed when I wasn't given the armband.
Maybe you're right about the ego's but you'd hope the scouts did their homework on attitude because high ego rarely delivers a good captain.

I think balance is important but the correct positional balance gets wins and ego's are forgotten when you're winning. I felt we were unlucky yesterday and we set up well enough to have beaten other teams in the league. Though I'm really not happy with Kodija playing wide with Hogan down the middle and Bjarn is a hardworking mdifielder (wide or middle) and definitely not a forward/winger.

I was never captain (vice captain once) in the sports I played but did always try my best to be a leader even if not by title and ive done a fair bit of coaching and a true leader, does his best and puts the team first no matter what. Armband or not we on paper have a very strong team in character, yet we play like a bunch of tossers and apparently are too nice to tell each other off.

• Like 1

Â