Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, omariqy said:

Do think it's a bit embarrassing that we have just won 4-1 and people are using it as a way to get another dig into Hogan. He's contributed to our good form. End of. I'm sure he will contribute again before the end of the season. 

Why? A win doesn't change all opinions on all players. Grabbans performance and how he has started shows how we've suffered having to rely on Hogan so much over the last year or so. 

10 hours ago, villa82 said:

No he is not. Bent did it several seasons in the pl. Solsjær in the pl and cl. Hogan did it for half a season for Brentford in the championship. Hogan has five goals? for us this season, one of the best teams. Solskjær scored that many in one game, as a sub.

I didn't say that Hogan is as good as Bent or Solskjär was in their prime. I compared their playing styles saying that Hogan is a poacher type like they were, and not a target player like Benteke for example. You don't agree with that?

17 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think it was a mistake signing him and he was too expensive. But he has 8 goals in 19 starts, 0,42 goals a game, which isn't that bad.

By the way, Gabby has 1 goal in 2 starts - bring on the goal machine! :-D

That's some impressive stat mangling there.

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think it was a mistake signing him and he was too expensive. But he has 8 goals in 19 starts, 0,42 goals a game, which isn't that bad.

By the way, Gabby has 1 goal in 2 starts - bring on the goal machine! :-D

That doesn't really paint a true reflection though does it. 

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That doesn't really paint a true reflection though does it. 

Well that depends on what the reflection is. My point is that if he is played in a team that suits his style of play he will score goals, and that he is not a bad player. I don't think we should have bought him in the first place, if we had used the money on say Grabban a year ago perhaps we would have been at the top of the league now, or if we had kept Ayew and Gestede instead. But as I see it he gives 100 % and the criticism shouldn't primarily be directed at him. It's not his fault that we paid too much money for him, or that he at times has been played as an isolated lone striker with long balls hoofed to him, which clearly doesn't work for him.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Very good option from the bench

Except he isn't.  He looks even more ineffectual coming on as a sub than he does when he starts.  Has he scored any when coming on as a sub?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Well that depends on what the reflection is. My point is that if he is played in a team that suits his style of play he will score goals, and that he is not a bad player. I don't think we should have bought him in the first place, if we had used the money on say Grabban a year ago perhaps we would have been at the top of the league now, or if we had kept Ayew and Gestede instead. But as I see it he gives 100 % and the criticism shouldn't primarily be directed at him. It's not his fault that we paid too much money for him, or that he at times has been played as an isolated lone striker with long balls hoofed to him, which clearly doesn't work for him.

Its all that ever gets said. Not his fault he doesn't get service, not his fault he doesn't suit Bruce. Excuse after excuse.  

All rubbish really. It is his fault that his first touch is poor. It is his fault he can't get into games. It is his fault that he can barely pass the ball to his teammates. It is his fault that his finishing is average. 

He gets the angel and kozak treatment. A continued myth about his goal scoring abilities and then every excuse you can imagine to defend him when he isn't scoring. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Its all that ever gets said. Not his fault he doesn't get service, not his fault he doesn't suit Bruce. Excuse after excuse.  

All rubbish really. It is his fault that his first touch is poor. It is his fault he can't get into games. It is his fault that he can barely pass the ball to his teammates. It is his fault that his finishing is average. 

He gets the angel and kozak treatment. A continued myth about his goal scoring abilities and then every excuse you can imagine to defend him when he isn't scoring. 

Sadly......you are right.

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Why? A win doesn't change all opinions on all players. Grabbans performance and how he has started shows how we've suffered having to rely on Hogan so much over the last year or so. 

I think it does just that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If we could provide him with a 6 yard tap in into an empty net every week then he'd be scoring every game!

See this is what I have an issue with. He has scored one tap in. Do you know how hard his goal against Bristol City was to score? Or his goal against Forest? Or his first against Bolton? Or his volley against Wigan? Don't change facts to suit your argument. It's boring. Hogan is inconsistent. He's not a bad player. He's a good player who is not consistent. No way is he worth what we paid for him and no way we should have signed him. 

24 minutes ago, omariqy said:

See this is what I have an issue with. He has scored one tap in. Do you know how hard his goal against Bristol City was to score? Or his goal against Forest? Or his first against Bolton? Or his volley against Wigan? Don't change facts to suit your argument. It's boring. Hogan is inconsistent. He's not a bad player. He's a good player who is not consistent. No way is he worth what we paid for him and no way we should have signed him. 

It was tongue in cheek mate. In response to the “he just needs service” comments. Anyone can be a good goal scorer with he right service. 

I dont need need to change facts. The facts are he’s scored 6 league goals in 14 months. The fact is Grabban has almost caught him up already despite being here for about a month. 

He’s not very good. Doesn’t matter how many excuses people make for him. 

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It was tongue in cheek mate. In response to the “he just needs service” comments. Anyone can be a good goal scorer with he right service. 

I dont need need to change facts. The facts are he’s scored 6 league goals in 14 months. The fact is Grabban has almost caught him up already despite being here for about a month. 

He’s not very good. Doesn’t matter how many excuses people make for him. 

I agree Grabban is better. In fact I am shocked at how much better. Did not expect that.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

It was time to bench Grabban today though.

It probably was. With Davis full of confidence scoring for u20 team and RHM scoring for fun at u23 i'd have liked to have seen them maybe get a shot. 

Hogan may get a goal but for me he has shown he isn't good enough. 

Â