Best & Worst Christmas Buffet

ferguson1

Not sure if we've ever had a thread for the best and worst items on a buffet?  Especially a Christmas one?  I know it's tacky, but I do love a bit of cheese and pineapple on sticks.  The worst for me seeing bread sticks in a jar that nobody touches.  One funny story to share also, we went to a Christmas buffet years ago and my wife said that the buffet had stollen on it, but I knew it was black pudding cut circles :D  I let this go for a while, but knowing she would be sick, I fessed up on her second piece.  Suffice to say the journey home was a quiet one :blink:.  Still makes laugh even now.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The salmon rolls come out on Xmas, love them

the worst are these foreign food multipack things, my gran will do her buffet with Iceland specials, cheap and horrible 

Haha, you can't beat a '75 piece' Indian platter for £4 mate :D

• Like 2

Cheese and Pineapple on sticks are hilarious.

Don't get me wrong, I'll eat them by the bucket load.

But nothign screams "we've spent as little as humanly possible on this buffet" as that snack :)

• Like 2

Best - sausage rolls and scotch eggs. Full size ones, not the mini ones

Worse - doritos and dips after some word removed double dips and leaves sour cream in the guacamole 

• Like 2

Saw a recipe which I'm trying out on our Christmas Eve buffet.... Soft boiled egg in the middle of an avocado, the avocado is then wrapped in bacon with chilli honey and deep fried.. Looks amazing..

The local butchers does a turkey and ham pie which is always a good addition to the buffet 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Best - sausage rolls and scotch eggs. Full size ones, not the mini ones

Worse - doritos and dips after some word removed double dips and leaves sour cream in the guacamole 

That wouldn't bother me in the slightest. But guacamole in the sour cream dip would have me hunting down the perpetrator with a machete. Avocado is the carbolic soap of Satan. 

• Like 1

yeah buffets, food that other people have put their paws all over helping themselves, usually the fat twunt who was at the front of the queue, using the fastest move he's ever made and who usually skips the washing hands phase of the bathroom visit.

er pass

Adding the word Christmas just amplifies the pain

• Like 1

Work buffets are always the same. As much cheap, colon destroying, processed meat and pastry as you can get, and a bag and salad, and a bunch of grapes for the two fat lasses who are constantly on diets. They never eat the salad. 

• Like 1

Well I shall be doing a buffet for 100 this week.  Following Bickster's comment, I shall place a prominent "Have you washed your hands?" notice at strategic points.

Alternatively, there could be enough serving spoons that no-one needs to touch the food until they come to shovel it from their plate into their mouth.  :)

I'm genuinely appalled by how few people wash their hands before eating, in general, nevermind at a buffet. Did their parents never teach them anything?

Work ones are the worst. People spend all morning picking their nose and tapping on their grime-encrusted keyboard then go off and pick up food weith their disgusting hands. Eugh. 

Edited by Davkaus

Last week we had a running club event (in conjunction with another local club), where we all ran into central Leeds in santa hats etc., ran round the Xmas lights route, and back for a buffet. I was absolutely starving, and piled my plate unfeasibly high with meat based food items. Ate the lot and went back for seconds. And thirds. Then cake. A lot of cake. Washed it all down with a few pints of Guinness. 

Suffice to say I did not have a restful night. 

• Like 1

The thing we only seem to buy at christmas and always disappoints is those little cheese cubes with the green/blue sticks in the pack. Can't recall what they are called but seem enticing when doing the christmas big shop, always disappointing.

Roast Parsnips are nice.

Best buffet! Egg & watercress sammiches, scotch eggs, pork pie, normal pickled onions, little bannoffee desserts

Good buffet - Cheeselets, Twiglets, dry roasted peanuts, and a good cheese selection

Not sure buffet - Pâté. I will eat it, but it looks, smells, and probably tastes like pet food. Probably is pet food...

Bad buffet - Unlabelled crisps, I wanna know the flavour man, it's terribly poor form. Cocktail sausages. Mystery pickled onions, home made with the world's hottest chilli peppers, but again, not labelled as such. Hazardous. Baguette which hasn't been cut up - no one bothers with them (although is usable as a baseball bat once stale). The absolute worst though is a lack of plates, cutlery and napkins.

If there's ever a work buffet I'll take chicken and quorn nugnugs.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

Â