Best & Worst Christmas Buffet

ferguson1

15 hours ago, peterms said:

Well I shall be doing a buffet for 100 this week.  Following Bickster's comment, I shall place a prominent "Have you washed your hands?" notice at strategic points.

Alternatively, there could be enough serving spoons that no-one needs to touch the food until they come to shovel it from their plate into their mouth.  :)

There'll always be someone who hand dives for another "cheeky"* sausage roll, no matter how many serving implements are available.

* I need to visit the 'things that piss you off...' thread regarding the misuse of the word 'cheeky'. There's nothing 'cheeky' about a Nandos or a pint.

EDIT: I should have had faith that the misuse of 'cheeky' already features heavily in the correct thread.

Edited by brommy
As above!
  • Like 1

My mother in law does a buffet on boxing day for my wife's birthday and friends and family come etc.  I'll have to take a photo this year, because it's always amazing.

I bought a 6.5kg Jambon with carving knife/stand for this year.  Can't wait to bust it out! :D 

12 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I bought a 6.5kg Jambon with carving knife/stand for this year.  Can't wait to bust it out! :D 

From virtually nowhere just 5 years ago in the UK, they now seem to be everywhere. I do like Jamon Iberico so it is something I find myself briefly considering each Christmas, but I'm not convinced the people I invite to my house would appreciate the £70 expense and carving/storing fiddle for it to be worth it. It does taste good but only if carved mega-thin so I think I'd be stuck carving it on demand as it can dry out quickly once carved and I wouldn't trust others not to hack it in to chunks!

I hope you enjoy yours and it goes down a treat at the buffet. :) 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

My mother in law does a buffet on boxing day for my wife's birthday and friends and family come etc.  I'll have to take a photo this year, because it's always amazing.

Lidl?

23 minutes ago, hogso said:

Lidl?

Yea, £29.99 - comes with knife and stand.

I appreciate it won't be as good (probably) as more expensive Jambons, but I've always wanted to carve one.  I've watched Youtube videos and everything, so in theory, I know what I'm doing. 

As Brommy said, the thinner, the better :) 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Surely, unless you have a very large family, eating it every day, you'll never get through one of those Iberico hams? 

Well there will be about 30 or 40 people on the day.  So we should make a dent.

But for £30, if we have a day of fun and it's not terrible, it'll have been worth it.

It also keeps quite well if you use the "fat caps" which are the first things to be shaved and use them as a self preserving lid.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'll let you know what it's like! :):thumb: 

Nice but fiddly is my prediction. Nice when it's relatively easy to slice really thin with a new sharp knife. Fiddly as it gets closer to the bone and the knife needs repeated sharpening, although the YouTube tutorials should help.

Aldi currently have an Iberico Jamon which is supposedly high quality but I'd be interested in whether it's worth more than double the cost. I think your Lidl one at £30 is as far as I'd stretch for a meaty 'man experiment'. That doesn't read well!

• Like 1

The great thing about living where I do, is we have a fantastic butchers in the town, that does amazing pies. To be classed as having had a good buffet, any event in the town has to have a selection of Taylor's pies.

18 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

The great thing about living where I do, is we have a fantastic butchers in the town, that does amazing pies. To be classed as having had a good buffet, any event in the town has to have a selection of Taylor's pies.

Monte Darlo > Wigan.

3 minutes ago, brommy said:

Monte Darlo > Wigan.

I've only ever had a Wigan pie, at the football ground. It was nice enough, but (in terms of buying a regular pie, and not some gourmet shit from a restaurant) Taylor's of Monte Darlo's pies take some beating.

• Like 1

Our work buffet looked dogshite lastweek, I finished early and walked through the canteen when they were setting up and it just looked like heaps of the greyest meat I've ever seen with a bit of shit salad.  They'd got outside caterers to do it as well.  The usual suspects getting there half an hour early to queue up too - just give me a tub of twiglets and a couple of glasses of wine I'm happy.  I can't take ham seriously since watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Edited by sharkyvilla

Â