Gareth Southgate

Richard

12 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

The fact Ratcliffe wants this clown (if rumours are true) kind of proves that he knows nothing about football... I think he needs to leave that to Brailsford, he transformed British cycling and knows what sporting success is...

On the other hand, I sincerely hope they employ Southgate, I can think of no better match

Cycing success doesn't necessarily translate to footballing success. I remember Clive Woodward taking  his coaching ability into the field of football and that didn't work out too well. 

• Like 3

Well there's no way Ratcliffe would 'come out and say he wants him', whether it is true that he does or not. Clubs (or ones not run by complete idiots anyway) don't issue press releases about who they hope their next manager will be while the current one is in place. 

• Like 1

Popcorn worthy if Southgate really takes over next season, he'll last about four months but it will be hilarious with Maguire as captain and Mount ahead of the benched (or sold) Bruno Fernandes.

Guess Ratcliffe's logic is he coaches half of them for England already but he'd be even more out of his depth leading Man. United than Moyes was. Hope it happens.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Popcorn worthy if Southgate really takes over next season, he'll last about four months but it will be hilarious with Maguire as captain and Mount ahead of the benched (or sold) Bruno Fernandes.

Guess Ratcliffe's logic is he coaches half of them for England already but he'd be even more out of his depth leading Man. United than Moyes was. Hope it happens.

Being England coach means that really l, despite what the media will say, he only gets scrutinised in this country. Man United is a global behemoth, he'd be under the spotlight literally everywhere in the world from the moment he agreed. He'd much better off sodding off back to Boro and never to be heard of on the national or global stage ever again. He lives up that way anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

Being England coach means that really l, despite what the media will say, he only gets scrutinised in this country. Man United is a global behemoth, he'd be under the spotlight literally everywhere in the world from the moment he agreed. He'd much better off sodding off back to Boro and never to be heard of on the national or global stage ever again. He lives up that way anyway.

He lives near Middlesbrough by choice? Says it all.

What's Southgate's record against the good teams in world football. Anyone with rudementry football knowledge managing the players England have should be able to beat the vast majority of teams in world football. 

It counts when you're up against the top 10 sides. I'm not sure we've beaten anybody of note with Southgate on charge.

Edit.... Just found this...

Southgate's record against sides currently ranked in FIFA's top 10 is as follows: 27 games, seven wins, nine draws, 11 losses equating to a win rate of just 26%.

Edited by jimmygreaves
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

What's Southgate's record against the good teams in world football. Anyone with rudementry football knowledge managing the players England have should be able to beat the vast majority of teams in world football. 

It counts when you're up against the top 10 sides. I'm not sure we've beaten anybody of note with Southgate on charge.

Edit.... Just found this...

Southgate's record against sides currently ranked in FIFA's top 10 is as follows: 27 games, seven wins, nine draws, 11 losses equating to a win rate of just 26%.

That's really woeful

On 20/03/2024 at 13:22, stewiek2 said:

Maguire, Mason Mount, Rashford, Shaw. What's not to like for Gareth?

He's already enquired about Henderson and Philips 

• Haha 1

On 20/03/2024 at 08:00, bobzy said:

Do you think Southgate takes the Man Utd job if it came up?

He'd be insane not to.*

He'd earn ten times more than England will be paying him and his inevitable severance pay will be eye watering.

* But not as insane as United would be to employ him.

On 20/03/2024 at 08:00, bobzy said:

Do you think Southgate takes the Man Utd job if it came up?

I think he would bottle it, He can't get a tune out the best 30 players in the county so what's he going to do with United's squad? 

He knows full well he's nowhere near a Top 4/6 manager and would be found out and exposed on the biggest platform in world football then on the dole for Christmas 

He'll end up in Saudi for silly money in a relegation battle with Gerrard 

Thats about his level 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kingman said:

I think he would bottle it, He can't get a tune out the best 30 players in the county so what's he going to do with United's squad? 

He knows full well he's nowhere near a Top 4/6 manager and would be found out and exposed on the biggest platform in world football then on the dole for Christmas 

He'll end up in Saudi for silly money in a relegation battle with Gerrard 

Thats about his level 

I agree with the first bit but think that's why he would take it 

Southgate isn't good enough to be turning utd down and football never works that managers or players turn down opportunities they shouldn't be getting 

They would be mad to offer it and he would be mad to say no 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I agree with the first bit but think that's why he would take it 

Southgate isn't good enough to be turning utd down and football never works that managers or players turn down opportunities they shouldn't be getting 

They would be mad to offer it and he would be mad to say no 

For me he has to big of an ego to fail spectacularly and thats what will happen 

Everyone will be predicting it and it so would only be a matter of time 

For this reason he won't except it IMO. 

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

For me he has to big of an ego to fail spectacularly and thats what will happen 

Everyone will be predicting it and it so would only be a matter of time 

For this reason he won't except it IMO. 

But surely if he has that big an ego he won't consider the potential of failure?! 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

But surely if he has that big an ego he won't consider the potential of failure?! 

Well he's used to making excuses so would be a good fit :D

Â