Gareth Southgate

Richard

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

After the Euros Southgate will of course stand aside, it can't come soon enough. Give him credit, he has overseen a period of transition and he's had some good success but he's hung on too long. This group of players is better than the man in charge. 

Is have had a lot more respect for him if left after the world cup. World cup semi, then euro final, then another world cup which was the tester to see 'was it a fluke or not' - it largely was, with the players doing well in spite of his shite tactics and selections. So he had his answer then and should have stepped down.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

After the Euros Southgate will of course stand aside, it can't come soon enough. Give him credit, he has overseen a period of transition and he's had some good success but he's hung on too long. This group of players is better than the man in charge. 

It was eight years ago as well.

I feel like this international break will have marked a turning point in terms of both the media and the more “neutral” England fan’s views of him.

Hes made questionable selection decisions before- neglecting players for so long and holding onto favourites. But he could always argue that these players hadn’t let him down. In a way continuing to pick some of these players who’d played out of form helped protect them from the media storm more than dropping them would have.

But this time was different. Picking Maguire and Henderson despite their respective situations heightened the media attention and created even more of a storm than if they’d have simply been dropped. You then get pundits like Jill Scott eloquently putting Henderson in his place and Maguire being jeered by the entirety of the hampden crowd.

Its just astonishingly bad judgment from Southgate and helped fan flames rather than calm things down which he was normally pretty good at 

There’s a gulf between a cluster of decent sides and the other 90% of countries.

I still expect England to be beaten by any of these proper footballing nations. Nothing has changed, apart from we play more shit teams than ever.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

There’s a gulf between a cluster of decent sides and the other 90% of countries.

I still expect England to be beaten by any of these proper footballing nations. Nothing has changed, apart from we play more shit teams than ever.

We won't get it easier than that Italian final. Southgate lost us that, no doubt at all.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

I feel like this international break will have marked a turning point in terms of both the media and the more “neutral” England fan’s views of him.

Hes made questionable selection decisions before- neglecting players for so long and holding onto favourites. But he could always argue that these players hadn’t let him down. In a way continuing to pick some of these players who’d played out of form helped protect them from the media storm more than dropping them would have.

But this time was different. Picking Maguire and Henderson despite their respective situations heightened the media attention and created even more of a storm than if they’d have simply been dropped. You then get pundits like Jill Scott eloquently putting Henderson in his place and Maguire being jeered by the entirety of the hampden crowd.

Its just astonishingly bad judgment from Southgate and helped fan flames rather than calm things down which he was normally pretty good at 

I think the Henderson situation is probably done more damage than the Maguire one. Southgate popularity was with the casual fans who watch England in tournaments and havent a clue about club football so Maguire just like Phillips/Mings situations arent that important

Henderson on the other hand I dont think Southgate was expecting a backlash and in his stupid stubborness he thought people were having a pop just because of the quality of the Saudi league

• Like 1

Southgate has come out and defended Maguire saying that he has been a stalwart in one of the best England teams for decades.

I have no idea who he is trying to convince with bullshit like this.

I’m not in favour of Maguire getting constantly boo’d and jeered, but he shouldn’t even be on the pitch given how out of form he has been for at least 2 years.

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Maguire is a joke, Southgate just sees a lot of himself in him so feels the need to go over the top in his defence of him. If Pizza Hut were looking for the 2023 brown paper bag incumbent, it would be Harry Maguire. They’d just need a bigger bag.

They'd probably just use a box, better fit.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He’s a complete word removed

HE, and only him, caused the situation where Maguire is ridiculed. He didn’t need to bring him on last night. He should be protecting his player, especially if that player doesn’t play at all for his club (I wanted to say ‘out of form player’ but he can’t have form if he doesn’t play) 

It's that simple he needs to read the room the daft bastard.

54 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Fits time I’ve seen him angry and with a bit of fire in his belly defending his boy Hazza.

Let’s break it down Gareth, why are people having fun with him? Why are you having to defend him again? Why are people questioning you for playing him?

• Like 1

Â