Gareth Southgate

Richard

I don't want to take everything away from him, but has he really changed the culture in the squad?

Is it not just that the current crop of players are much nicer people than the previous band of bastards like Terry, Gerrard, Rooney and Rio?

One things for sure. We should absolutely have one major title during his time, and we have none.

• Like 2

Sounds like Gareth wants to go, let's hope the FA don't convince him to stay. He's reached his ceiling for me no doubt.

As for creating the culture, it's a bit over egged on Gareths part, as most were friends anyway, but as some have said, it may be positive in the camp, but don't create a winning mentality or passion on the field.

Bringing Sterling on was a poor move, an back's up why Gareth just ain't ever gonna work, surely would have upset a few.

• Like 1

He made a comment after the USA game saying "Our 2 CBs controlled the game" that sums up his tactical approach in general. Honestly hope this is the end for him. I just want a manger who players on the front foot and utilises the squad to its fullest, not relying on the same few players to drag us through a match. 

Edited by The Other Mat

16 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Sounds like Gareth wants to go, let's hope the FA don't convince him to stay. He's reached his ceiling for me no doubt.

As for creating the culture, it's a bit over egged on Gareths part, as most were friends anyway, but as some have said, it may be positive in the camp, but don't create a winning mentality or passion on the field.

Bringing Sterling on was a poor move, an back's up why Gareth just ain't ever gonna work, surely would have upset a few.

The culture change was from the early 90's until like 2012-14 the bellends who played for us were so small minded and arrogant they brought their club rivalries to the national team. I think that is unforgivable and the bastards should be ashamed to have wore the shirt

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

He made a comment after the USA game saying "Our 2 CBs controlled the game" that sums up his tactical approach in general. Honestly hope this is the end for him. I just want a manger who players on the front foot and utilises the squad to its fullest, not relying on the same few players to drag us through a match. 

Next tournament is in about 18 months and not sure is a a manager who would jump into the job and is available. Maybe Gerrard😂😂

13 hours ago, Mister_a said:

Personally, I think any success the team has had has been down to the players, Gareth’s an inconvenience. Southgate is just too conservative but he’s too up his own arse to realise that he’s the problem, so we’ll probably have to endure a shit Euros before the FA gets the point that he’s shite, and finally gives him the hoof.

Sadly they'll never get the point that he's shite.

• Like 1

Unfortunately he'll always have the backing of a large portion of the public, driven mostly by casual fans who don't watch football outside of tournaments who can't look past "but he got us to a World Cup semi-final and a Euro final!"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Good…

Im glad England are out…

Theres nothing in that England side I remotely like, support or have any endearment to…

Its a bunch of “Sky 6” arseholes picked by the FA with Gonzo the Yes Man acting like he is in charge…

If England win a World Cup, there better be a Villa player in the squad for me to support!

Thats why I’ve been wanting Argentina, Poland and Belgium to do well…

Villa Park deserves to have a World Cup winner come back…

Aston Villa deserves to have a current player immortalised as a World Cup winner for the rest of history…

Ive said it before, and I’ll say it again, I’m not a football fan, I’m a Villa fan…

The only shame about that England squad that got knocked out last night is that more of them didn’t come back injured to give us an advantage when the season restarts…

Such a weird take 😂

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't want to take everything away from him, but has he really changed the culture in the squad?

Is it not just that the current crop of players are much nicer people than the previous band of bastards like Terry, Gerrard, Rooney and Rio?

Yes. He absolutely has changed the culture. 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

One things for sure. We should absolutely have one major title during his time, and we have none.

100% agree with this. We should have won the Euros

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Trouble with Southgate is he's always failed when it mattered. 

Euro 96, he misses that pen. Fair enough it happens, but to then take part in an advert, making light of it, is not a sign of a winning mentality. 

The last 3 tournaments, with the squad we have - including Champions League Winners, players from the supposed 'best club side in the world' & 1 or 2 generational talents, he's also failed, mainly through his own decisions as a manager. 

We have had proven winners as England boss before, Capello springs to mind, but the press hounded him. Southgate has had the full support of the press but is not a winner. The press take it easy on him, wheel out the same crap excuses. 

Bottom line is, until we have a manager with a proven winning mentality, who doesn't have favorite players to the detriment of the team, we won't win anything. 

He comes across a really nice guy, everyones friend, not sure that's the recipe for success.

I knew the wagons would be circled by the press and pundits after that exit, the boys club, at work.....so predictable.....I'm not calling for his head, but I thought there was enough observations to be discussed, that could have changed the outcome.

England, didn't play badly overall and the performance and Stats had good elements to it.....not sure whose job was to mark Griezman, but he was their conductor and our public enemy No1?.....not sure what Jacks introduction was for, given the time he had?

Although, the world and his dog, think the choice of Harry for the second penalty was right....I couldn't help thinking it favoured his clubmate, this time around....It got in to Harrys head and he tried too hard with the second guessing game.....A fresh set of options for LLoris, might have been the prudent choice, but hindsight is an exact science, of course.

When you consistently fail, at the business end of tournaments, there is a reason beyond bad luck.....It can't always be bad luck.

No doubt, we all have opinions on the reasons, we fail/ed, and I guess they will vary.

I will just say, my final, thought.......yet another headed goal undone us, similar scenario's at our club.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Unfortunately he'll always have the backing of a large portion of the public, driven mostly by casual fans who don't watch football outside of tournaments who can't look past "but he got us to a World Cup semi-final and a Euro final!"

Your bang on here. Just seen on the TV, most loyal supporters want him gone, not really shocking most of the pundits want him to stay. I just don't get the idea you would want to keep a manager who in in 6 years has bonded a team (apparently all down to him) but won nothing. I don't think he won anything with the under 21s, an in reality the job was not his to start with, had big Sam not been naughty he probably wouldn't have had the chance.

My thoughts are almost any half decent manager i.e our own  Dean Smith could have done what Southgate has done with that group of players surely no one can disagree. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think football fans can see through him but yes the media and fans that watch tournaments like him and thats who the FA cares about

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Your bang on here. Just seen on the TV, most loyal supporters want him gone, not really shocking most of the pundits want him to stay. I just don't get the idea you would want to keep a manager who in in 6 years has bonded a team (apparently all down to him) but won nothing. I don't think he won anything with the under 21s, an in reality the job was not his to start with, had big Sam not been naughty he probably wouldn't have had the chance.

My thoughts are almost any half decent manager i.e our own  Dean Smith could have done what Southgate has done with that group of players surely no one can disagree. 

Not sure Dean Smith could be mixing it with any success, with the top international managers, but hey ho.

However, I think there will always be an element, that see second or getting as far as we did as ok......but the winners ( and their mentality) only see one thing.

I still think a better attempt of closing down the goal scorers, would have seen us through.....never mind the shocking officiating, and the Penalty miss, as factors.

as well as their goals was well executed, they was preventable......and at this level, you have to do better.

I still think, like at club level, too many crosses come in, unabated.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not sure Dean Smith could be mixing it with any success, with the top international managers, but hey ho.

However, I think there will always be an element, that see second or getting as far as we did as ok......but the winners ( and their mentality) only see one thing.

I still think a better attempt of closing down the goal scorers, would have seen us through.....never mind the shocking officiating, and the Penalty miss, as factors.

as well as their goals was well executed, they was preventable......and at this level, you have to do better.

Get Gerrard or Bruce In

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Where is this top international manager? Smith managed Villa out the Championship, do we think Southgate could have done this? You do know Steve Holland is the brains behind the coaching and Southgate just delegates and bonds the team, apparently. Southgate cannot coach for shit.

I'd actually put Steve Holland's name forward for the next England manager.

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think he has.

It's a combination of two things that kind of blend into one.

As I said, this group of players and people are just generally much friendlier than the last lot. That's helped by social media so there's a lot more 'staying in touch' with people who you would normally not have spoke much to 20 years ago.

These millionaire 18-30 year olds don't have too many other mates in a similar situation to them, so they stay in touch with plenty on WhatsApp and Instagram etc. 

The other thing is purely social media/increased amount of media in general. It's a PR machine. Clubs, or in this case countries, can put out whatever they want. So they can put out constant positive interviews which get fans on side. No problem with it. It's what everyone does.

If Allardyce had stayed and was still in situ now, he'd be getting the credit of changing the culture. Plus we'd have won the Euros.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He deserves some credit, but I think he's certainly had it easier than his predecessors, not only because the players in the squad aren't such a bunch of scrotes, but he's also not had to deal with players being turned against one another by the likes of Ferguson and Wenger. The rivalries at the top clubs are a lot softer these days which has made his job a lot easier.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

You've really been on form the last few days.

Â