The retro gaming thread!

BOF

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

The good lady wife is getting me an Amiga A500 Mini for Xmas to go with my C64 Mini.

Apart from the PS3 it's probably my favourite game machine of all time so I'm pretty excited already 😍

spacer.png

Ah memories!! I remember me and my cousin uss to love playing super frog on here

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

Anyone used a decent handheld Emulator before? Or are they all a con?

I've got a Retroid Pocket 3, it's great.

You need to put some work in initially with it, as it's not a turn key kinda of thing, you need to set it up, but when you do it's excellent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2022 at 10:46, Chindie said:

I've got a Retroid Pocket 3, it's great.

You need to put some work in initially with it, as it's not a turn key kinda of thing, you need to set it up, but when you do it's excellent.

I'd like to vouch for the Ambernic RG351M. Endless retro fun on long train/car/bus journeys..

2 hours ago, Tegis said:

Well well, isn't this one hell of a solution to the monitor problem we all we will have with dying CRTs. I'm seriously considering this

Few issues I've seen noted elsewhere is that for one, it's a 5:4 ratio which makes it awkward for both retro and modern gaming. Also the resolution is a strange one I can't remember off the top of my head that doesn't lend itself well to scaling. I was initially excited about this too, one to keep an eye on for sure.

I have a 'new' old stock Thrustmaster T2 steering wheel for PC. Just popped on eBay to see what they're worth. It's almost worth what I bought it for :)  So it's gone down and back up because it's retro :thumb: Might list it.

• Like 1

On 23/11/2022 at 10:10, Designer1 said:

The good lady wife is getting me an Amiga A500 Mini for Xmas to go with my C64 Mini.

Apart from the PS3 it's probably my favourite game machine of all time so I'm pretty excited already 😍

spacer.png

Why TF couldn't I think of this when people were agonising over what to get me for Christmas this year and I was all "I have everything. If I want something I just go and buy it". Dagnammit it all to hell.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BOF said:

Why TF couldn't I think of this when people were agonising over what to get me for Christmas this year and I was all "I have everything. If I want something I just go and buy it". Dagnammit it all to hell.

I've sorted all my side loaded extra games for it now too (very easy to do).

I now have pretty much ever Amiga game ever made ready for my Xmas nostalgia rush 🙃 

• Like 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

I've sorted all my side loaded extra games for it now too (very easy to do).

I now have pretty much ever Amiga game ever made ready for my Xmas nostalgia rush 🙃

Ah, Christmas. A time spent with family, unless of course they go and buy you a really awesome Christmas present, in which case they won't see you for a week :D  

What's your monitor solution?

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Ah, Christmas. A time spent with family, unless of course they go and buy you a really awesome Christmas present, in which case they won't see you for a week :D  

What's your monitor solution?

If its anything like the C64 Mini, it'll look absolutely fine on my normal TV.

• Like 2

On 23/11/2022 at 10:10, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GoldenEye remains awesome. But it's a huge shame they've not been able to properly release the 'lost' XBLA version. The game shows it's age badly and even with vastly increased power it still runs badly, whilst the XBLA version runs like butter and looks far far far better.

It's hard to say, depends on a few factors - how quickly you want to shift them, how much 'commission' you're willing to lose on them, do you want to make the most money (this would depend on the quality of what you have).

Ebay will get them shifted, but you'll want to take in to account the 10% (I think it is) cut they'll take. May be worth sticking a search in for what you have and selecting the 'show sold items' option to get an idea of what people are buying them for as either auctions or buy it now.

Price charting is a site which tracks the prices of, well, basically every video game and console ever, based on worldwide Ebay prices so that could give you an idea of the prices you'll want to secure for your stuff. You can also sell there, although you'll be selling directly to the hobbyist and collectors ONLY which may or may not be a good thing. If you have something that's common it probably wouldn't sell, but if you've got something that would complete someone's collection you may find you get a better than Ebay purchase price. 

Bit of a left field suggestion perhaps, but I've had the most recent success with Vinted. My girlfriend sticks them on her account, I've sold SNES and Dreamcast games over the last 6 months or so. I took a look at the proposed value from Price charting, the value of the sold items on Ebay, and put them up for an appropriate price, usually about the same as the ebay selling price. Then most offers are rejected of course (like Ebay) but if you get a buyer for close to your listing price, the beauty is no sale fees - and no P&P fees which can put people off ebay purchases. So, I have a whole load of stuff listed on there, and it just waits for someone to come along and buy it and make an offer. No listing fees or anything of the sort. 

On the other hand, much smaller body of prospective buyers. 

• Like 2

Not a bad shout at all @hogso - thank you.

I'd basically looked at shifting them to CeX but noticed the gulf between cash (which is what I'd want) and what they sell the games for.  Seems there's a pretty substantial gap there (understandably)!  There's nothing rare to be honest e.g: GameCube games inc Mario Kart Double Dash and Eternal Darkness.  Would look to sell the consoles too, but not sure if it's better doing a bulk sale thing or listing everything individually.

I've had a similar clear out the last few weeks, 90% of my retro consoles, peripherals and all the games I told myself I'd get set up into one glorious display at some point and they've essentially just lived in a box for a decade now.  I wound up trading in any with CEX that they were happy to take, but then as I was looking to exchange for vouchers then the prices were favourable. 

Wound up trading in enough stuff over the course of January to afford an Xbox Series X, Mini SNES and Mini Mega Drive (effectively replacing the games I was trading in anyway) with about ~£300 left in vouchers that I'm either going to be lumping on a drum machine or stereo amp, depends what crops up for sale.  Some of the stuff I made pittence on, but some of it was crazy; the maddest one was a Colour Game Boy that I bought with a case and 6 games in a charity shop for £20 a couple of years ago, CEX took the Game Boy and 4 of the games for £125 (and one of the games they couldn't take was Contra 3, which can apparently fetch up to £30 on eBay so I'll be flogging it there myself at some point).

As you're going the cash route, I would assume eBay is your best option.  In terms of bulk vs individual, depends on how quickly you want to shift it versus how much you want to take; to sell a big bundle of stuff you'll likely have to take a bigger hit on the asking price, sell it piecemeal and you'll make more in the long-run but it will likely take you longer to sell it all.

• Like 1

It can absolutely work for exactly the reason @GarethRDR is talking about to use trade in at Cex...but it still hurts my soul to think of all of those goodies sitting in one of their glass cabinets with a 20-40% mark up on the price they gave the seller. 

There's a place that always offers better trade in prices than Cex, and I don't mean Game - but there's only a few of them dotted around the country (or maybe only one?), so depends on where you are. Can't remember what it's called though and a google didn't bring it up. I'll do some digging. There's a guy on youtube who is building a DVD and gaming collection for 'free', which is mostly achieved by bulk buying from ebay and vinted, and purchases from charity shops, watching Cex prices to trade or sell for 'profit', which then goes back into the collection. He saves up stock and sells in bulk to -whateverthatplaceiscalled- every now and again. 

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
Â