The retro gaming thread!

BOF

10 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Cheers for the advice guys. I'm going to stick with the Wii to play my GC games. I'd get a GC but the mo ey involved is a bit daft. The Eon adapter is expensive and the component cables were never available in PAL regions plus PAL GC's disable the component output anyway. No idea what Ninty were thinking at the time. Apparently the best bet for PAL GC's is to stick with RGB Scart and a CRT. 

I'm not chasing THE perfect picture, I just want to eradicate a lot of the blurriness and fuzziness. Star Fox Adventures looks like plop on a 4k set. If I can get a picture I'm relatively happy with I'll be happy. 

I'd recommend MetalJesusRocks' videos on the subject. They're easy to digest and he shows a ton of side by side footage. I'm pretty sure he reviewed the Wii2HDMI. And if you're really interested in all the nitty gritty details, MyLifeInGaming is a brilliant channel. They leave almost no stone unturned.

I'd still recommend the RetroTink though as the $100 might seem steep at first but over time you'd be spending way more on multiple inferior solutions and dongles anyway. You can use any console that has Composite, Component or S-Video support on it too.

On 22/11/2019 at 21:25, Keyblade said:

I'd recommend MetalJesusRocks' videos on the subject. They're easy to digest and he shows a ton of side by side footage. I'm pretty sure he reviewed the Wii2HDMI. And if you're really interested in all the nitty gritty details, MyLifeInGaming is a brilliant channel. They leave almost no stone unturned.

I'd still recommend the RetroTink though as the $100 might seem steep at first but over time you'd be spending way more on multiple inferior solutions and dongles anyway. You can use any console that has Composite, Component or S-Video support on it too.

I've been watching MJR for a few years now, love his stuff.

The Wii2hdmi arrived yesterday, set it up after work and I've got to say, for £6.99 its blown me away. It's a noticable night and day difference. I'm sure the more expensive stuff does it better but just the difference between this little dongle thing compared to using the standard wii AV cables on a 4k tv is absolutely astounding. Star Fox Adventures looks infinitely more like how I remember it. The fuzziness and blurriness has been drastically reduced. Puts the more expensive known brand Hyperkin cable that doesnt work properly to shame. £30 compared to £7. Shameful.

I know it's cheap chinese crap and the chances of it breaking in the future are high but for now, I cant knock this little gadget at all. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I've been watching MJR for a few years now, love his stuff.

The Wii2hdmi arrived yesterday, set it up after work and I've got to say, for £6.99 its blown me away. It's a noticable night and day difference. I'm sure the more expensive stuff does it better but just the difference between this little dongle thing compared to using the standard wii AV cables on a 4k tv is absolutely astounding. Star Fox Adventures looks infinitely more like how I remember it. The fuzziness and blurriness has been drastically reduced. Puts the more expensive known brand Hyperkin cable that doesnt work properly to shame. £30 compared to £7. Shameful.

I know it's cheap chinese crap and the chances of it breaking in the future are high but for now, I cant knock this little gadget at all. 

That's great man. I've heard good things about the Wii2HDMI. Didn't know it was only £7 too. It beats all the other Chinese boxes, probably because it was designed specifically for the Wii and also because it's converting the Component signal which is the highest quality signal the Wii can output.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got to say, really enjoying playing on the gamecube again, the controller is great and that generation of games was my favourite period. No gaas bullshit, no overwhelming mtx's, no expensive and ridiculous dlc's etc... just pop the game in and **** play the word removed- ing thing. Straight to it. Great times.

Marvellous.

• Like 1

Bought a full size c64, its rather lovely & simple to just add whatever games you like using a usb stick. Will be nice if someone can tidy up the usb menu to look the same as the carousel mode available with the pre installed games. You can get the mini version much cheaper but the full size one actually has a working keyboard. Now on the hunt for a nice 4:3 monitor to go with it.

Still have my old original 64 & 128 but can't be bothered waiting for tapes to load and my 30 year old disc drive is rather temperamental to say the least

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 3

I was going to buy a playstation classic for my son but a few reviews mention very poor emulation.   Has anyone got one who can tell me what it's like?  Any alternatives instead of a PS Classic? Doesn't have to be playstation. 

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

I was going to buy a playstation classic for my son but a few reviews mention very poor emulation.   Has anyone got one who can tell me what it's like?  Any alternatives instead of a PS Classic? Doesn't have to be playstation. 

The PS Classic suffers on a few fronts. The emulation problems are mostly down to them using PAL versions of games, which run worse than the NTSC versions, for no reason. This basically means if you're used to playing Tekken 3 on a US system the version on the Classic plays awfully, for example

Another problem is down to the games themselves. A lot of PSOne games didn't run well back then and they don't run well now, but now we know about this and in some cases there's better ways to play those games these days.

And the most minor issue is that it does seem like they've fudged things a bit on some of the games. There's odd, very minor, issues with some of them, most notably the Ridge Racer game on it. Nothing that breaks it, just not bang on to what the game skills be. Which is really odd because the software they're using for the Classic is basically a common PS1 emulator they've pinched.

Of the classic emulator consoles the standouts are the SNES Classic and the Megadrive Mini by most accounts.

• Like 1

The SNES classic is really expensive, it's like £150 in GAME, I'm sure it was half that price on launch. Any reason why? Limited stocks I take it? For that price point it better be easy to hack and load more ROMs on to it.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The SNES classic is really expensive, it's like £150 in GAME, I'm sure it was half that price on launch. Any reason why? Limited stocks I take it? For that price point it better be easy to hack and load more ROMs on to it.

Nintendo does the artificial scarcity thing that toy manufacturers do (they claim they don't, but they suffer with problems getting stock out more than anyone else in the industry...). That tailed off with the SNES Classic far better than it did with the NES Classic, but then supposedly stopped production of them entirely this time last year, in which case at this point it's just whatever stock is leftover from a year ago. Nintendo massively overvalues their library so it wouldn't be a shock if they decided to knock a product on the head that was selling what they would value as, say, the better part of £300 of games for £80.

Also Game will be charging the most they feel they can get away with, and therefore about the worst possible place to buy one. It certainly isn't worth more than £100.

The Megadrive Classic is going for like, £60.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If it's any consolation it's very easy to hack and load ROMs in it. I have a couple hundred SNES/NES/Genesis/GBC/GBA games on it and they run flawlessly. I think Street Fighter Alpha 2 is the only game that doesn't run well that I've seen so far, but I can't imagine it was smooth sailing even on the original SNES.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love my mini collection- my kids like picking one at random off the shelf and then cycling through the games.  I've got a retro pi of course but theres something about having the right controllers and the nostalgia of the (albeit small) box. 

For above if you did want to revisit the playstation- I had seen classics go as low as £20 at one point, and then if you google "true blue mini" on amazon you will find loaded usbs for sale. Theres lots of different collections and they are plug and play. You can do it all yourself but if you arent keen on hacking- finding the roms etc its a cheap way to get the playstation classic to actually have some good games on it. 

• Like 1

On 02/01/2020 at 11:03, maxjackle said:

I love my mini collection- my kids like picking one at random off the shelf and then cycling through the games.  I've got a retro pi of course but theres something about having the right controllers and the nostalgia of the (albeit small) box. 

For above if you did want to revisit the playstation- I had seen classics go as low as £20 at one point, and then if you google "true blue mini" on amazon you will find loaded usbs for sale. Theres lots of different collections and they are plug and play. You can do it all yourself but if you arent keen on hacking- finding the roms etc its a cheap way to get the playstation classic to actually have some good games on it. 

I'll add to this, I bought the Genesis Mini yesterday for $75, brand new at Walmart. You can hack it just like the SNES Mini so you can have SNES games on there as well as the Genesis games. A much cheaper alternative to the scarce and expensive SNES Mini.

• Like 1

Royal mail doing some gaming stamps on the 21st of the month. Look quite nice. Loads of different variations & packs available.

https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stamp-issues/video-games

ICONIC GAMES FROM THE 1980S AND ’90S
Video Games
An action-packed collection celebrating classic UK-designed video games that put the ‘joy’ in ‘joystick’. A fun set of Stamps and Collectibles to get your thumbs twitching.

ap470-1-video-games-presentation-pack-3d

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a way to play Under a killing moon and Wing commander 3 without endless disk-swapping?

Challenge accepted :D Just need to find a SCSI card without a silly pricetag.

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

• Like 1

Â