The retro gaming thread!

BOF

51 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

So I bought a v.1 wii, a gamecube controller, gamecube memory card, hyperkin wii2hdmi cable, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime & Star Fox Adventures. £140 wasted. Erm....Worth It! Yes, worth it. Why do we do these things to ourselves? 

I also use my Wii as a GC as I never had one growing up (I had a PS2). GC games can get a bit pricey but I started SM Sunshine in the summer but I haven't gotten back to it after reaching that beach level. It's really good though, I honestly think I like it more than SM Galaxy in terms of gameplay.

• Like 1

I've always said Sunshine is the best Mario game literally apart from the camera. It's so much better than Mario 64 that its baffling how more people dont love it. If you put Odyssey's controls and camera into Sunshine I think I'd lose my mind

48 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I've always said Sunshine is the best Mario game literally apart from the camera. It's so much better than Mario 64 that its baffling how more people dont love it. If you put Odyssey's controls and camera into Sunshine I think I'd lose my mind

Second best, after Odyssey 😁

Sunshine is a brilliant game.

Super Mario Sunshine is almost universally held as amongst, if not the, worst 3d Mario games. Not only is the camera atrocious, it's also one of the most bizarrely janky flagship titles Nintendo has released. Watch any clips of GiantBomb's run through of the game and you'll see dozens of moments where they inexplicably fall through platforms or get **** by the camera being awful. The infamous challenge sections are basically a struggle against bad mechanics.

I never thought much of the backpack backpack either. Felt by token gimmick, more than anything the series had had before.

I've never actually put much time into Galaxy but of the 3d Mario titles, Sunshine is the one I'd avoid.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Super Mario Sunshine is almost universally held as amongst, if not the, worst 3d Mario games. Not only is the camera atrocious, it's also one of the most bizarrely janky flagship titles Nintendo has released. Watch any clips of GiantBomb's run through of the game and you'll see dozens of moments where they inexplicably fall through platforms or get **** by the camera being awful. The infamous challenge sections are basically a struggle against bad mechanics.

I never thought much of the backpack backpack either. Felt by token gimmick, more than anything the series had had before.

I've never actually put much time into Galaxy but of the 3d Mario titles, Sunshine is the one I'd avoid.

<insertarniecommandowronggifhere/>

Do you all just use the wii's scart output or do you use a hdmi converter? Because while I'm waiting for my hdmi cable to arrive the picture on my 4k telly looks like I've dunked my head into vaseline. It looks like pure ass. 

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Mostly use my Wii to play Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Eternal Darkness.

What about Skyward Sword? Probably my favorite Zelda game after OoT.

I use my Wii mostly as a GC and for games I have save data in like Mario Kart. Otherwise I play most of my Wii Games on the Wii U as it upscales to 1080p quite brilliantly. Looks better than my quite decent $100 line-doubler with OEM component cables at the very least.

On 18/11/2019 at 22:50, Keyblade said:

I use my Wii mostly as a GC and for games I have save data in like Mario Kart. Otherwise I play most of my Wii Games on the Wii U as it upscales to 1080p quite brilliantly. Looks better than my quite decent $100 line-doubler with OEM component cables at the very least.

I love Skyward Sword too but god damn the motion controls at times makes me want to smash shit up. Im playing it again on and off but I think I'm purposefully holding off on delving into it again hoping that a HD remake with normal controls is coming out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I love Skyward Sword too but god damn the motion controls at times makes me want to smash shit up. Im playing it again on and off but I think I'm purposefully holding off on delving into it again hoping that a HD remake with normal controls is coming out.

I actually really liked the controls, or at least found them really interesting in 2011, now maybe not as much. But I never found them to be restrictive or hurt the experience. If anything, they were more immersive than Twilight Princess' lazy tacked on waggle controls.

On 18/11/2019 at 22:50, Keyblade said:

Yeah the motion controls kinda ruined it for me. Still deciding whether it's worth get a 2DS for A Link Between Worlds.

I do want a Wii U though.

30 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Yeah the motion controls kinda ruined it for me. Still deciding whether it's worth get a 2DS for A Link Between Worlds.

Yes. It is. A fantastic game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Thing about the Wii U is that it's definitely a product of its time and now kind of invalidated by the Switch. It doesn't have a Zelda game (well I guess BotW counts, but the Switch has that too) or a Metroid game. A lot of the best games were also released on the Switch like Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze. Even the New Super Mario Bros game is on there. Smash 4 has also been topped by Ultimate rendering it obsolete. Really the only game I can think of right now is Super Mario 3D World which is a good game, but not exactly a console seller.

But, in a weird way, if you want it to play Wii games...it looks better on modern TVs than the Wii itself, with its native HDMI support and excellent internal upscaler.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Thing about the Wii U is that it's definitely a product of its time and now kind of invalidated by the Switch. It doesn't have a Zelda game (well I guess BotW counts, but the Switch has that too) or a Metroid game. A lot of the best games were also released on the Switch like Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze. Even the New Super Mario Bros game is on there. Smash 4 has also been topped by Ultimate rendering it obsolete. Really the only game I can think of right now is Super Mario 3D World which is a good game, but not exactly a console seller.

But, in a weird way, if you want it to play Wii games...it looks better on modern TVs than the Wii itself, with its native HDMI support and excellent internal upscaler.

The other thing is Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD. Oh how I wish they would bring these to the Switch.

I'm going to get shot for it, but I just can't get in to BOTW. Maybe I need to give it a bit more time than the 3 hours I've played so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

The other thing is Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD. Oh how I wish they would bring these to the Switch.

I'm going to get shot for it, but I just can't get in to BOTW. Maybe I need to give it a bit more time than the 3 hours I've played so far.

I forgot about those 2. You just reminded me that I need to get Wind Waker HD (I've never fully played the original). Would love if it were on the Switch eShop. Haven't played BotW either, but from the looks of it, I think I'd really enjoy it.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2019 at 22:20, Ingram85 said:

Do you all just use the wii's scart output or do you use a hdmi converter? Because while I'm waiting for my hdmi cable to arrive the picture on my 4k telly looks like I've dunked my head into vaseline. It looks like pure ass. 

Wii outputs 480P. When I bought the machine new the cable that came with it, which was either UHF or SCART? Don't remember which tbh, was so laggy it was unplayable on games that required fast response times. Mario Kart was pointless.  I found the the Wii HDAV to composite cable worked best for response time and delivered the 480p.

If you were going to go for a HDMI convertor looking to upscale somewhere in the chain? I'd check reviews, cos you need to keep that latency down.

10 minutes ago, Xann said:

Wii outputs 480P. When I bought the machine new the cable that came with it, which was either UHF or SCART? Don't remember which tbh, was so laggy it was unplayable on games that required fast response times. Mario Kart was pointless.  I found the the Wii HDAV to composite cable worked best for response time and delivered the 480p.

If you were going to go for a HDMI convertor looking to upscale somewhere in the chain? I'd check reviews, cos you need to keep that latency down.

Thanks for that, helps a bit trying to understand the process a bit more.

The hyperkin cable arrived, I set it up and while it produces a great image it goes off every 10 seconds then comes back on so it's either a faulty cable or not compatible with my tv. So I ordered one of those little white boxes. If this doesnt work I'm thinking of just getting a 480p CRT.

Which one are you talking about?

61ctmS0OuUL._SX425_.jpg

41yVwdtAUIL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Edited by Ingram85

On 18/11/2019 at 17:20, Ingram85 said:

I used to use cheap HDMI converters but they look awful on my 4k TV. From what I remember, the Wii2HDMI has pretty positive reviews, being a cheap but decent solution.

Personally, I bought a RetroTink-2x for about $100 which is a straight line doubler, which basically means it takes 240p or 480i signals and doubles it (or deinterlaces it, in the case of 480i) to 480p, with no introduced lag and just a clean signal not muddied up like some of the cheap "upscalers". I have to say, it's a very good investment. I use it for all my retro consoles. My PS2 and N64 and even my Saturn with $10 S-Video cables all look brilliant on it. The difference between it and the other upscalers is night and day (quite literally in some cases actually, link in dark scenes, on cheaper upscalers are almost pitch black whereas everything is clear on the RetroTink).

For the Wii in particular, I bought the official component cables (I didn't know it did SCART!), but to be honest...I'm not a fan of how it looks on my TV when put through the Retrotink. It's kind of blurry for some reason. There's a mode where you can just pass through the 480i input (it doesn't accept 480p input though!) and let your TV handle the deinterlacing (this might introduce input lag though) and it looks better that way, but still not perfect. I noticed that when playing Wii games on my Wii U, the games look SO much better. So if you have a Wii U, definitely play them that way. For GC games, they look decent on the Wii, but the GC itself with componenet cables (which are apparently ridiculously expensive and hard to find) looks very good which leads me to believe it might just be a quirk with the Wii's output. 

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Which one are you talking about?

Some TVs can upscale. I'd check reviews on any device.

Spot the monster that works here.

New TVs may not have the connection though?

Photo1418.jpg

Cheers for the advice guys. I'm going to stick with the Wii to play my GC games. I'd get a GC but the mo ey involved is a bit daft. The Eon adapter is expensive and the component cables were never available in PAL regions plus PAL GC's disable the component output anyway. No idea what Ninty were thinking at the time. Apparently the best bet for PAL GC's is to stick with RGB Scart and a CRT. 

I'm not chasing THE perfect picture, I just want to eradicate a lot of the blurriness and fuzziness. Star Fox Adventures looks like plop on a 4k set. If I can get a picture I'm relatively happy with I'll be happy. 

• Like 1

Â