The retro gaming thread!

BOF

12 hours ago, Chindie said:

I had an original Gameboy that was initially my brother's, then eventually got my own transparent one when they re-released them in the mid-90s (which I still have). Then a few years later had a Gameboy Color, which I then sold to help fund a GBA when they came out, which again I've still got, in the translucent pale blue. Never felt the need to get an SP or Micro.

Nintendo kinda lost me on handhelds when the DS came out. I did buy a 3DS but it didn't have the magic that the Gameboy had with it's much more simple approach. Also age undoubtedly made a difference. I still think the DS is a fundamentally shit design and still kinda can't understand how it was so popular. The dual screen was near useless, the touch stuff rubbish... I also struggle to name real DS classics. You can reel off classics from the Gameboy and GBA, literal classics and just great titles, but the DS is much more difficult to do that with. It was only with the 3DS that even Nintendo started to crank out great titles, and even those mostly abandoned the concepts that defined the machine.

Post Gameboy machines I bought a phat DS and yeah 100% agree it was absolutely crap. The DSlite however is marvellous, for me it's the perfect iteration of the DS. Never got on with the 3DS machine itself really, against the grain as usual as I love the much maligned cheese wedge 2ds much more, I think the form factor is fantastic as a handheld. 

As for my GB Pocket I bought Tetris and Soccer today. £8 total for both. Also want the light magnifier clip on thing too. 

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I had a PSP 3000. Only really had Crisis Core for it, but I loved it. Battery went wonky and I haven't played it in ages. Still need to play KH:BBS which was on my list of games to play 10 years ago :lol:

Was that one of the ones redone for that ps4 collection?

22 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I had a PSP 3000. Only really had Crisis Core for it, but I loved it. Battery went wonky and I haven't played it in ages. Still need to play KH:BBS which was on my list of games to play 10 years ago :lol:

I went a bit mad about 8 months ago and splashed out on a second hand PSP and a metric ton of games, though Crisis Core was really the only reason I bothered to get the thing in the first place - glad I did though.  (Though this was about a month after I decided that a mere 13 years after buying it, I needed to get myself a second DS and copy of Pokemon Pearl so I could get my Pokedex completed in Diamond, but hey I did catch them all...).  Though I quickly found out that enabling 2factor authentication does not play well with PS3<->PSP comunication!

I didn't mind my original phat DS (though I only got a GB colour as a successful use of student loan monies in 2002), though having used my DS lite it's like stepping into a world of improvement (plus without the awful hinges made of wafer biscuits of the phat)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Just got the n64 out in the weekend. Still my favourite ever Nintendo console.

Although aiming with goldeneye with one analogue  is bloody harder than I remember!!

Yeah I think it's now my second favourite, after the switch. Got mine out a while back and also struggled with the aiming 😂

Best version of Mario Kart on that system too.

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

Yeah I think it's now my second favourite, after the switch. Got mine out a while back and also struggled with the aiming 😂

Best version of Mario Kart on that system too.

N64 is such a great console. I wish they woukd hd some of the games like banjo Mario 64 Mario party goldeneye an perfect dark

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

N64 is such a great console. I wish they woukd hd some of the games like banjo Mario 64 Mario party goldeneye an perfect dark

Shouldn't be too hard, banjo & perfect dark are already available on xbox along with conkers & jet force Gemini. Doubt goldeneye will ever happen officially at leastdue to licensing

GameBoy Pocket arrived today, was playing Super Mario Land for most of my break at work and I'm just as plop at Tennis as I was at it 20 odd years ago. Great fun though. 

Only minor thing is that the screen has a little bit of dark burn in which isnt massively obvious and I guess it's to be expected from a handheld that's 23 years old and been used. Other than that it's in great condition. I suspect the silver sticker on the back is a repro, not sure about the screen cover. But I'm not too bothered tbh as it looks great and I may have done the same eventually myself too.

Cant wait for the other games I ordered to arrive. Nostalgia overload!!!!!

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Sega Saturn is just so good. Playing arcade perfect Marvel vs games is a treat, along with all the other gorgeous 2D games.

What the Saturn did it did very well, arcade games especially. Ironically it was putting most of it's eggs in the arcade basket that was probably why it flopped (also how they hell did they contrive to not release a proper Sonic game for it?). I really like Nights into Dreams, one of the best games I've played on the Saturn. 

• Like 1

The Saturn gambled on 2d arcade style games being the foundation of gaming for the foreseeable, with its 3d performance much weaker than it's competitors and it's quirks making ports difficult. 

If you love 2d shooters it's basically the best console ever. If you're more into 3d stuff then apart from a few bits by the likes of AM2 then you're out of luck.

The lack of a Sonic game was mostly down to the struggle to switch to 3d which meant nobody really knew what they were doing and lead to an aimless chaotic development that eventually just collapsed. Ironically its been proven since that the Sonic style doesn't translate to 3d well anyway so not only were they fighting against the difficulties of trying to develop in 3d for the first time (for a console that struggled with it anyway), they ultimately were facing a problem nobody has satisfactorily solved since.

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

What the Saturn did it did very well, arcade games especially. Ironically it was putting most of it's eggs in the arcade basket that was probably why it flopped (also how they hell did they contrive to not release a proper Sonic game for it?). I really like Nights into Dreams, one of the best games I've played on the Saturn. 

I have Nights and I still haven't figured out how that game works and passed the first level :lol:

There are some amazing shooters and beat em ups on this. If they just focused on 2D gaming and waited a generation to hop on the 3D wave they could have had a classic on their hands.

Any old save files on them? When I first had my SNES as a ten-ish year old, I had a game called Exhaust Heat, which wasn't an awful unlicensed formula one racer. 

Unfortunately the previous owner had saved all the fastest lap / high scores with names like 'SHAGGER', 'BOLLOX' and 'rocket polisher', meaning I could only play it when I knew my mum wasn't about in case she thought I had made the swears.

That's a simple example of one of those things that will be entirely lost an a generation of gamers, the idea that when you let the game go, sold it, swapped it, whatever, so did your actual saves. Again as a kid with my SNES, I never emulated the end game save that was on my Mystic Quest Legend cart (aka. Final Fantasy USA), which was a really high level with all the best equipment and magic - until many years later when I replayed it as a teenager. 

• Haha 1

There was on pokemon under the name 'Alex'. If you look closely though at the top of the cartridge some kid has written 'Daniel' on it which set my OCD off a little bit but then I actually thought it was quite awesome, makes you realise these little pieces of plastic have had lives of their own.

On 10/11/2019 at 05:51, hogso said:

Any old save files on them? When I first had my SNES as a ten-ish year old, I had a game called Exhaust Heat, which wasn't an awful unlicensed formula one racer. 

Unfortunately the previous owner had saved all the fastest lap / high scores with names like 'SHAGGER', 'BOLLOX' and 'rocket polisher', meaning I could only play it when I knew my mum wasn't about in case she thought I had made the swears.

That's a simple example of one of those things that will be entirely lost an a generation of gamers, the idea that when you let the game go, sold it, swapped it, whatever, so did your actual saves. Again as a kid with my SNES, I never emulated the end game save that was on my Mystic Quest Legend cart (aka. Final Fantasy USA), which was a really high level with all the best equipment and magic - until many years later when I replayed it as a teenager. 

I got a PS2 earlier in the year and putting in my memory card was a trip down memory lane. Saves from 2006/7 when I was in high school. Played Kingdom Hearts (where my name is from) for the first time since then and looking at my earlier save I had almost everything you could get into the game. Must have sunk 60 hours into it. Also saw some games I forgot I rented and liked.

Â