The retro gaming thread!

BOF

I've never sold a gaming device I've owned. Which actually isn't anything to brag about, cos I've got them, but I've taken terrible care of them. My original Game Boy still works, but the screen doesn't stay in.

Wish I still had my NES, even though it likely would have been useless by now (I think I had 2 as well). I gave it away to a family friend when I moved overseas. Other than that, I've kept all my working consoles (really onlythe N64). I guess now the Wii (that doubles as a GameCube) counts as a retro console so I still have that.

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I always sold consoles to fund the next gen one. Wish I didnt have to but I'm not made of money. I do always wish I'd kept my gamecube and games though.

GC consoles are really cheap on eBay. You can get them + a game or 2 and a controller for around 60 bucks. The hard part with GC is finding good controllers especially if you play Smash.

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I always sold consoles to fund the next gen one. Wish I didnt have to but I'm not made of money.

Same here. It's a shame because I love retro gaming but I barely have the time to play the modern versions these days.

Edited by Hornso

On 12/11/2019 at 14:35, Keyblade said:

Wish I still had my NES, even though it likely would have been useless by now (I think I had 2 as well). I gave it away to a family friend when I moved overseas. Other than that, I've kept all my working consoles (really onlythe N64). I guess now the Wii (that doubles as a GameCube) counts as a retro console so I still have that.

Wouldn’t worry I have the nes classic and that lays terribly on tvs these days. Nes you won’t play for long believe me

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wouldn’t worry I have the nes classic and that lays terribly on tvs these days. Nes you won’t play for long believe me

I don't even like too many NES games. All the ones I like are either on the Switch's NES service or I have them on my SNES Classic. It just has sentimental value for me because it was my first ever system, got it when I was like 3 and it was my only console until I was 10 (N64/PS1 era), so I spent a shitload of time with it.

Downloaded Gens the other day, used to use it all the time but it's been a few years. Binging on Mega Drive and Mega CD games at the moment. Mega CD actually had some really good games, Sonic CD the obvious one but really like the Batman port and Final Fight. Looking forward to playing Kojima's 'Snatcher' on it soon as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Downloaded Gens the other day, used to use it all the time but it's been a few years. Binging on Mega Drive and Mega CD games at the moment. Mega CD actually had some really good games, Sonic CD the obvious one but really like the Batman port and Final Fight. Looking forward to playing Kojima's 'Snatcher' on it soon as well.

Was playing Sonic Jam on the Saturn yesterday and I honestly forgot how good the original Sonic series was. Marble Zone really caught me by surprise. It was Megaman-esque almost. I always only remembered Green Hill Zone :lol: 

45 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Was playing Sonic Jam on the Saturn yesterday and I honestly forgot how good the original Sonic series was. Marble Zone really caught me by surprise. It was Megaman-esque almost. I always only remembered Green Hill Zone :lol: 

Doesn't get better than Sonic 3 + Knuckles. Best Sonic game ever made IMO

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Doesn't get better than Sonic 3 + Knuckles. Best Sonic game ever made IMO

Only played demos of that on my PC when I was a kid. Back when infuriatingly when you went to download a game it always ended up just being a demo. Can't wait to try it. Best part of Sonic Jam is that it has the + Knuckles backwards compatibility that the original Genesis games had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

When you look at the sonic games today in comparison  they really have ruined the franchise

Most of the franchise. Sonic Mania was incredible though and that released two years ago. It's literally the Sonic 4 we all deserved 20+ years ago. 

When you remove Sonic Team from the franchise good Sonic games are made. Hopefully Sonic Mania gets a sequel cause it's our only chance of getting another good Sonic game any time soon.

• Like 2

Speaking of Sonic 3, a prototype from late 1993 has recently been leaked, some videos can be found on youtube. Quite a few interesting things in it, different music for Carnival Night, Ice Cap and Launch Base zones, Sonic has the drop dash attack which was used in Mania and a host of different animations (as well as his sonic 2 sprite). Angel Island has the surf board intro. Pretty fascinating.

So I bought a v.1 wii, a gamecube controller, gamecube memory card, hyperkin wii2hdmi cable, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime & Star Fox Adventures. £140 wasted. Erm....Worth It! Yes, worth it. Why do we do these things to ourselves? 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â