The retro gaming thread!

BOF

On 06/09/2019 at 10:49, Chindie said:

Giant Bomb looks back on the Dreamcast 20 years (!) later.

They're using a modded Dreamcast that outputs via HDMI and runs off an SD card, and it's a pretty fantastic thing.

The Dreamcast was such a bizarre console. It has a small group of classics that everyone remembers, but it also had a fair chunk of utter, utter shit. It had a life of about 2 years and killed off Sega as a hardware manufacturer. But it's still beloved.

As s bit of trivia, Sega has now been out of the hardware industry longer than they were in it.

I had a dreamcast, don't remember much about it except for a tennis game me and my brother used to spend hours on!

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

I had a dreamcast, don't remember much about it except for a tennis game me and my brother used to spend hours on!

virtua tennis?

great game, im not even a tennis fan but a lot of time playing that, it had the training sections where you did like 10 pin bowling with serves etc

Just now, villa4europe said:

virtua tennis?

great game, im not even a tennis fan but a lot of time playing that, it had the training sections where you did like 10 pin bowling with serves etc

Yes!!

I don't remember it being called Virtua Tennis but I do remember having to knock down pins so it must be the same one! :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/09/2019 at 13:13, villa4europe said:

virtua tennis?

Wasn't that Smash Court Tennis?

No, no... You are right, because I'm sure Virtua Tennis is the one I have on my Vita. 

Edited by avfcDJ

7 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Wasn't that Smash Court Tennis?

No, no... You are right, because I'm sure Virtua Tennis is the one I have on my Vita. 

i remember smash court on the playstation, anna Kournikova's SCT, that was a good game but virtua tennis upped the player models (the shirts moved!!!) and had the training games making it more fun

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i remember smash court on the playstation, anna Kournikova's SCT, that was a good game but virtua tennis upped the player models (the shirts moved!!!) and had the training games making it more fun

SCT was so much fun, I had it on a demo disk and played it to death till I could afford it, and when I had the money I bought Broken Sword 2 instead 😂

Anybody remember Nightmare Creatures? I loved that game.

52 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

SCT was so much fun, I had it on a demo disk and played it to death till I could afford it, and when I had the money I bought Broken Sword 2 instead 😂

Anybody remember Nightmare Creatures? I loved that game.

I remember the joys of absolutely rinsing the demo disc instead of buying the game.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater when it was just the warehouse level I think and possibly a time limit, played that to death. Also Dave Mirras BMX which was also only one level, me and a mate found out you could glitch the game by doing certain things so it just became who could perform the biggest glitch, ah those were the days.

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I remember the joys of absolutely rinsing the demo disc instead of buying the game.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater when it was just the warehouse level I think and possibly a time limit, played that to death. Also Dave Mirras BMX which was also only one level, me and a mate found out you could glitch the game by doing certain things so it just became who could perform the biggest glitch, ah those were the days.

Demo disks were my life! Do you remember the indie games on the disks? They were sometimes quite good!

Net Yaroze 👍

Edited by avfcDJ

13 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Anyone remember the icehocky game on Nintendo 8bit, where you had the skinny guy, normal guy and fat guy to choose from? 

I don't sorry, but in relation to that, the ice hockey game Blades of Steel on the NES is an absolute classic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hornso said:

I don't sorry, but in relation to that, the ice hockey game Blades of Steel on the NES is an absolute classic.

I remember the "BLADES OF STEEL" sound, but was this also the game that had fighting? Seem to remember a hockey game we played that included fighting. 

27 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I remember the "BLADES OF STEEL" sound, but was this also the game that had fighting? Seem to remember a hockey game we played that included fighting. 

That’s the one!

Crazy that even the Wii had N64 titles on the virtual console but not a single one on the Switch yet. 

I'd love to play all the miscellaneous games I never played yet and don't really want to spend the money on. I have all the heavy hitters for my N64 but games like Yoshi's Story, Paper Mario etc I'm not super interested in. If I had them all consolidated on 1 console (no pun intended) that would be sweet.

I think its surprising that given their success the classic consoles don't have some sort of ability built in for expansion

if Nintendo were now lining up a 2nd wave of games for say £50 they'd get some takers

I need to try and get a way of playing ghoul patrol

Â