The retro gaming thread!

BOF

On 07/10/2019 at 14:34, Demitri_C said:

I just dusted off the gamecube forgot how good this console was.

I dont know if it was the point I was at at that time in my life being late teens but I'll always remember getting my game cube and the following years of amazing games as THE best gaming memories of my life. No other console apart from maybe my GameBoy or OG XBox has had as much of an impact in my life than that. Im not even sure I can properly explain or make sense of why that console means so much to me personally and if I did it would sound **** ridiculous. Probably my favourite console of all time.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think its surprising that given their success the classic consoles don't have some sort of ability built in for expansion

if Nintendo were now lining up a 2nd wave of games for say £50 they'd get some takers

I need to try and get a way of playing ghoul patrol

Takes less than 5 minutes to load more games with hakchi2

• Like 1

2_Analogue_Pocket.0.jpg

Analogue, the company behind heralded retro consoles like the Super NT, is making a take on the Gameboy. Plays GB, GBC and GBA games with adaptors for Game Gear and the like planned. It's also **** gorgeous.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Chindie said:

2_Analogue_Pocket.0.jpg

Analogue, the company behind heralded retro consoles like the Super NT, is making a take on the Gameboy. Plays GB, GBC and GBA games with adaptors for Game Gear and the like planned. It's also **** gorgeous.

giphy.gif

That looks decent wonder how much thay will go for.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

$199 so probably the same here. Not as bad as I expected.

That a a bit pricey I think considering you can get similar things for half the price. I seen some modded handhelds that have all this plus snes mega drive n64 extra.  

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

That a a bit pricey I think considering you can get similar things for half the price. I seen some modded handhelds that have all this plus snes mega drive n64 extra.  

What you're paying for here is something that works every time without much fiddling, configuration or anything else. The Analogue Pocket is hardware based and runs the original cartridges for GB, GBC and GBA. This isn't an emulation box, it's an all in one replacement for official Nintendo hardware.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Recently completed Metal Gear Solid 1 again. I don't think I've played a more engrossing game in all my life. MGS2 runs it close but MGS1 is the best game I've ever played.

Do konami hold the rights? Can see it getting a RE2 / FF7 style remake next gen, I know they've already done twin snakes but it can be done again, the facility expanded 

For me it's the ties with RE and FF are because I loved the 1st game (taking it as FF7) , so much that I soaked up all the buzz over the 2nd game, got caught up in buying gamesmaster for new screen shots and details, played the demos half to death, then had the anticipation of its release, spent the week before its launch trying to find someone who'd gone early 

98 to 01, ps1 to getting a ps2 on launch day (which in itself was incredible) great times, started working at Game in 02 or 03

Capcom's recent financial report referred to DMC 5 as an indisputable success, so here's hoping that they reboot some other old IPs. Would love to see a next gen Dino Crisis (plausible) or Breath of Fire (less so). 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Do konami hold the rights? Can see it getting a RE2 / FF7 style remake next gen, I know they've already done twin snakes but it can be done again, the facility expanded 

Konami still own the IP for Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Bomberman, Contra, Castlevania and Gradius to name but a few. 

I don't see them remaking anything though as Konami make more from Pachinko machines than they do from games. I think the best case scenario is we get a new Metal Gear Solid game minus Kojima because that IP prints money, but aside from that I don't think Konami cares about remaking, or releasing new games for 99% of the IP they own. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just won a mint condition yellow gameboy pocket with SML, Tennis and Wave Race plus the official carry case that came with it. £40. Cant wait. Going to buy the light magnifier and sml2, tetris, star wars, soccer, killer instinct and a few more also. 

Excited!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Just won a mint condition yellow gameboy pocket with SML, Tennis and Wave Race plus the official carry case that came with it. £40. Cant wait. Going to buy the light magnifier and sml2, tetris, star wars, soccer, killer instinct and a few more also. 

Excited!

I used to have a GameBoy Pocket as a kid. Played the hell out of Pokemon Blue and that's it. I used to think it was fake because all the other kids had GameBoy Colors. I don't think I ever wanted anything that much in my life. I think I was begging my parents for a year. Best present ever.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I used to have a GameBoy Pocket as a kid. Played the hell out of Pokemon Blue and that's it. I used to think it was fake because all the other kids had GameBoy Colors. I don't think I ever wanted anything that much in my life. I think I was begging my parents for a year. Best present ever.

haha was just going to post yellow Gameboy pocket? that was the pokemon Gameboy for me

I then had the tribal pattern flip open one which was a great piece of kit at the time but I cant remember what I played on it, definitely advanced wars and then I think 2D Metroid and Zelda games 

I had an original Gameboy that was initially my brother's, then eventually got my own transparent one when they re-released them in the mid-90s (which I still have). Then a few years later had a Gameboy Color, which I then sold to help fund a GBA when they came out, which again I've still got, in the translucent pale blue. Never felt the need to get an SP or Micro.

Nintendo kinda lost me on handhelds when the DS came out. I did buy a 3DS but it didn't have the magic that the Gameboy had with it's much more simple approach. Also age undoubtedly made a difference. I still think the DS is a fundamentally shit design and still kinda can't understand how it was so popular. The dual screen was near useless, the touch stuff rubbish... I also struggle to name real DS classics. You can reel off classics from the Gameboy and GBA, literal classics and just great titles, but the DS is much more difficult to do that with. It was only with the 3DS that even Nintendo started to crank out great titles, and even those mostly abandoned the concepts that defined the machine.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Excited!

Beautiful 

• Thanks 1

Â