Top Gear

Jez

Surely the only point of buying such a revolting car is to advertise the fact you can't afford a RRSport or Vogue.

eh?

Well thats the point isn't it? I want to buy into a luxury brand but haven't got the cash so I'll but its fugly little brother.

A top spec Evoque is more than a decent Sport. Why would anyone do that?

Same with Boxster drivers. **** off and buy a 911.

But surely aesthetic appeal can be quite generic like a Ferrari or Maserati but also aesthetic appeal is a very personal thing too. I quite like the Evoque and whilst I dont like the idiots that drive an x6 I quite like it, I also dont think its a pointless car. If someone can tell me of another car that is as quick, has 4x4, handles as well and sits high up to give that commanding driving experience then I dont know of it. Yes you get cars that have bits of each but not as an all round package.

Surely the only point of buying such a revolting car is to advertise the fact you can't afford a RRSport or Vogue.

eh?

Well thats the point isn't it? I want to buy into a luxury brand but haven't got the cash so I'll but its fugly little brother.

Isnt that why different models exist though? Isnt the Freelander the same thing? You wouldnt buy one if could afford a RR.

eh?

Isnt that why different models exist though? Isnt the Freelander the same thing? You wouldnt buy one if could afford a RR.

The Evoque and the Range Rover SPort are completely different cars.

it's like saying "the only point of buying a Ford Focus is to advertise the fact you can't afford a Mondeo"

They're different cars.

If you (Eames) were talking about the Range Rover Sport vs the Range Rover, I'd understand, because even though there are obvious differences, they are very similar.

Similarly with the Boxster comparison.

but the Evoque is totally different from the other Range Rovers. You're comparing Apples with Pears

Yes it's a lower price than the others, that's intentional. If we introduced it at the same price as a Sport, then we'd have substitute buyers rather than new buyers, which is exactly what we didn't want (incidentally that's why it was rebranded from a Land Rover in the first place).

Same reason it's not as big as a Range Rover (or a disco or a freelander). it's filling a gap in the product range. if it was as practical as a freelander, then people would buy a freelander. If it was as luxurious as a Range Rover, then people would buy a Range Rover.

Incidentally, if I had the money for a Sport, i'd save some and buy an Evoque. And I imagine a lot of other people woudl too.

I saw an evoque and thought it was one of the more stylish cars id seen in a while... It's all eye of the beholder I guess , my brother has a cayman and I think it's hideous not to mention noisy

I've always said I wouldn't have a 4x4 but the evoque has pretty much changed my mind ... Unless my test drive makes me hate it in which case I'll prob stick to another xf

my brother has a cayman and I think it's hideous not to mention noisy

12566946510.jpg

8)

yep that's the one .. a car so pants that when he gave me a lift to the airport one time we couldn't get my suitcase in the boot so he had to take my car instead ...

I'm sure it's superb really just not my sort of car

I might be an Evoque owner if it wasn't for their dealers. I had a two hour test drive, with my family, in an SD4 Auto Prestige and was very impressed. After my current car (worth around £10k in part-ex) was assessed by two different LR dealers, they both promised to ring me the next day with a valuation for my car and a 'cost to change' for an Evoque. That was 3 months ago and I've given up waiting.

As for its looks, whilst everyone has different tastes, the dozen or so family, friends and work colleagues I spoke to seemed to like it. A LOT!

I was wary of it just being a 'Freelander in a frock' but having studied both in detail, it's significantly different. Slightly less practical (but then I don't own a dog), better-on road (where 99% of driving is done), just as capable off-road (some tests even show the Evoque to be better) and above all it definitely felt more luxurious and special.

I'm not sure I was entirely ready to spend a stupid amount of money so for now I'm happy to continue with my 06 plate car. It's great when there's no snow! :|

I might be an Evoque owner if it wasn't for their dealers. I had a two hour test drive, with my family, in an SD4 Auto Prestige and was very impressed. After my current car (worth around £10k in part-ex) was assessed by two different LR dealers, they both promised to ring me the next day with a valuation for my car and a 'cost to change' for an Evoque. That was 3 months ago and I've given up waiting.

As for its looks, whilst everyone has different tastes, the dozen or so family, friends and work colleagues I spoke to seemed to like it. A LOT!

I was wary of it just being a 'Freelander in a frock' but having studied both in detail, it's significantly different. Slightly less practical (but then I don't own a dog), better-on road (where 99% of driving is done), just as capable off-road (some tests even show the Evoque to be better) and above all it definitely felt more luxurious and special.

I'm not sure I was entirely ready to spend a stupid amount of money so for now I'm happy to continue with my 06 plate car. It's great when there's no snow! :|

Thats very poor from the LR dealerships not getting back to you. I expect it is because there is a 6 month waiting list and they're not really under that much pressure to shift them but that certainly doesn't excuse such poor service.

my brother has a cayman and I think it's hideous not to mention noisy

12566946510.jpg

8)

Oh, why didn't you just say the girls Porsche

I thinks just a boxster with a hard top isn't it? Friend of mine is actually buying one tomorrow. Not my cup 'o tea but still, if it makes him happy!

Thats very poor from the LR dealerships not getting back to you. I expect it is because there is a 6 month waiting list and they're not really under that much pressure to shift them but that certainly doesn't excuse such poor service.

looking at various web sites that appears to be the norm ... seems to be a heck of a waiting list for them at present ?

I don't like the Evoque, looks like its been in a can crusher

As for the RR, I'd only get one that had been Overfinched

Surely you mean "ruined"

:(

Although I did like the one that Holland & Holland had got hold of that was featured on Top Gear. With the gun cabinet and bar in the back. :)

eh?

The Evoque and the Range Rover SPort are completely different cars.

it's like saying "the only point of buying a Ford Focus is to advertise the fact you can't afford a Mondeo"

They're different cars.

If you (Eames) were talking about the Range Rover Sport vs the Range Rover, I'd understand, because even though there are obvious differences, they are very similar.

Similarly with the Boxster comparison.

but the Evoque is totally different from the other Range Rovers. You're comparing Apples with Pears

Yes it's a lower price than the others, that's intentional. If we introduced it at the same price as a Sport, then we'd have substitute buyers rather than new buyers, which is exactly what we didn't want (incidentally that's why it was rebranded from a Land Rover in the first place).

Same reason it's not as big as a Range Rover (or a disco or a freelander). it's filling a gap in the product range. if it was as practical as a freelander, then people would buy a freelander. If it was as luxurious as a Range Rover, then people would buy a Range Rover.

Incidentally, if I had the money for a Sport, i'd save some and buy an Evoque. And I imagine a lot of other people woudl too.

I suppose really I can't see the point of the Evoque, or the need for its existance. Much like the Nissan Qashqai and other cars of their ilk.

I have a 4x4 because I need a 4x4, it pulls Mrs E's horses around and is great for filling with horsey supplies and general crap.

If we take Princess E, out, or go anywhere as a family, we take the Golf, because (despite a much lower spec level) it drives better, is more comfortable, more economical, higher MCAP safety rating IIRC, but still hugely practical.

I just can't see why you would need and Evoque and what they are for?

(EDIT that said - I said the same thing about the iPad until Mrs E bought one. Now wouldn't be without it so if the Evoque wasn't so bloody ugly, maybe I'd have one :?)

I just can't see why you would need and Evoque and what they are for?

well it would drive better than your golf and do the same job as your other 4x4

so 1 car instead of 2 :-)

Cant see that the Pony Club mob abandonning the bigger 4x4s for an Evoque with sport seats tbh.

Whats the towing capacity? Anyone know? Steveo?