Top Gear

Jez

is Land Rover & Range Rover two totally unconnected companies?

and is the Evoque a Range Rover or a Land Rover?

Land rover and Range Rover are both part of the same company (as is Jaguar).

The Range Rover brand is the more luxurious end of the market with Land Rover more focussed on function but obviously with a high level of comfort. The key differnce can be seen when you compare the Land Rover Discovery and the Range Rover Sport. Both fundamentally the same car underneath, one has just been blinged up to charge more money.

"Evoque" actually started its life out as a Land Rover (see LRX concept car) and in its early development it was always a Land Rover. Later on it was decided that it could slot into a higher market position by rebranding it as Range Rover and increasing the quality of the trim etc.

I just can't see why you would need and Evoque and what they are for?

well it would drive better than your golf and do the same job as your other 4x4

so 1 car instead of 2 :-)

Cant see that the Pony Club mob abandonning the bigger 4x4s for an Evoque with sport seats tbh.

Whats the towing capacity? Anyone know? Steveo?

8 million tonnes

(i don't know ;) )

The Range Rover brand is the more luxurious end of the market with Land Rover more focussed on function but obviously with a high level of comfort. The key differnce can be seen when you compare the Land Rover Discovery and the Range Rover Sport. Both fundamentally the same car underneath, one has just been blinged up to charge more money.

"Evoque" actually started its life out as a Land Rover (see LRX concept car) and in its early development it was always a Land Rover. Later on it was decided that it could slot into a higher market position by rebranding it as Range Rover and increasing the quality of the trim etc.

yep. There were substitution worries as well.

As in, if it was priced around the same as a freelander, why would you buy a freelander?

Much in the same way Golfs these days aren't made as fancy as they could be, because they worry people wouldn't buy Audi A3s if they were.

No all out of the same Solihull stable I believe

yes, in terms of they're the same company.

But the Freelander and Evoque are actually built in Liverpool

yep. There were substitution worries as well.

As in, if it was priced around the same as a freelander, why would you buy an Evoque?

Much in the same way Golfs these days aren't made as fancy as they could be, because they worry people wouldn't buy Audi A3s if they were.

Fixed.

I suppose really I can't see the point of the Evoque, or the need for its existance. Much like the Nissan Qashqai and other cars of their ilk.

I have a 4x4 because I need a 4x4, it pulls Mrs E's horses around and is great for filling with horsey supplies and general crap.

If we take Princess E, out, or go anywhere as a family, we take the Golf, because (despite a much lower spec level) it drives better, is more comfortable, more economical, higher MCAP safety rating IIRC, but still hugely practical.

I just can't see why you would need and Evoque and what they are for?

(EDIT that said - I said the same thing about the iPad until Mrs E bought one. Now wouldn't be without it so if the Evoque wasn't so bloody ugly, maybe I'd have one :?)

In a way, this is exactly what the company were going for.

You're clearly a practical 4x4 driver (wwhich is fine, obviousl). What the company didn't want was for you to think "well, I'm not buying a freelander next time, I'm buying an Evoque"

The priority was to keep our existing customers buying their cars, and attract new customers with the Evoque.

So some people who never bought 4x4s before, may well be attracted to buying one with the Evoque, because it's a bit different (see tonyh)

Correct Stevo, somebody here told me that by far the most common car that is coming in for p/x against an Evoque is a (BMW) Mini.

Its a new market for the business.

Wow! Now that is a surprise - considering an Evoque new has got to be £20k more expensive that a new Mini. If people are selecting on the driveability factor thats very promising as well - the Mini is brilliant to drive. An absolute scream.

Its not for me (as I'm sure you've got by now) but fair play - hope it sells shit loads because JLR are a fab brand.

Correct Stevo, somebody here told me that by far the most common car that is coming in for p/x against an Evoque is a (BMW) Mini.

Its a new market for the business.

Wow! Now that is a surprise - considering an Evoque new has got to be £20k more expensive that a new Mini. If people are selecting on the driveability factor thats very promising as well - the Mini is brilliant to drive. An absolute scream.

Its not for me (as I'm sure you've got by now) but fair play - hope it sells shit loads because JLR are a fab brand.

Minis are expensive. An Evoque would be nowhere near £30k more expenisve.

Incidentally, a lot of the styling ideas were taken from Minis as well, so I guess TV's point shows that it worked as intended.

6 month minimum waiting list suggests it isn't over priced.

Or that a bunch of divs with loads of cash have put deposits down..... :winkold:

They're not mutually exclusive statements. They're both true. You charge what divs will pay and they're clearly paying it, so hats off to JLR :) The same explains the X6.

:shock:

I've just built an Evoque with the same(ish) spec as my Freelander..... its £50k!

Well then you have an extremely high spec Freelander.

And the equivalent spec on an Evoque will be far superior.

The highest cost Evoque is around £45k with the basic options for that Trim Level. Additional extras push it just over £50k, IIRC, so you've essentially built the highest spec Evoque possible