January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

8 minutes ago, honest_bertie said:

Good morning. Is today the day the window slams shut?

Yes,  I expect we are currently bracing ourselves for offers for our players whilst hopefully preparing bids for others. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I would assume the 5m for westwood and 5m for Ayew isfunding this deal. I think we are offering 10m + adds on if I was to speculate

Palace and Albion both interested in hogan too so could be work to do yet .

6 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Truth is some of the absolute dross we have wouldn't even get a game at Sunderland and you only have to look at their transfers to see how desperate they are. If we operated on the basis of having to sell Richards for example to finance other moves etc we wouldn't have signed anyone, that is the reality. Nobody wants them so why should the club stand still on that basis.

Exactly right. If I was another club I would be offering to loan Richards with %100 wages paid by villa. That's how bad an offer if any we would get for him. We keep him in the squad as some extreme backup let him run his contract out this year (I'm only hoping here) and see ya later. No one is buying Richards except for maybe peanuts. Literally. 

8 hours ago, Deisler123 said:

well. I am afraid that is the reality now.

Despite how mighty we were (still are, you may argue), we are not attractive to top players anymore. And this can only get worse and worse if we stay in this league longer.

Exactly. If you buy a team full of championship players you end up with a championship team. Which is why we are buying Tekkers. :D

• Like 2

I can see the Hogan soap opera going one of two ways, 1). He'll not sign, we'll batter them tonight and he'll see what a div he's been or 2). He'll not sign, score a hat-trick and this place will go into "Steve Bruce out" meltdown!

...... and we'll sign Benteke last minute! :trollface:

6 minutes ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

Exactly. If you buy a team full of championship players you end up with a championship team. Which is why we are buying Tekkers. :D

A championship team has a better chance of staying up than a team of inexperienced foreigners glued together to try survive.

I'm glad we are trying to build a team for the future where the nucleus of our side is british

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

A championship team has a better chance of staying up than a team of inexperienced foreigners glued together to try survive.

I'm glad we are trying to build a team for the future where the nucleus of our side is british

That's an important observation.  We haven't been a team for a long time and the premier league did that to us.  I'm all for building a team again

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Shoot for the moon bud, if you miss at least you end up among the stars! VTWD!

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Wasn't there talk of 3 teams when Xia took over- one to get us up, one to keep us up, and one to get us to Europe? 

That would suggest this is the "get us up" team and the changes will be rung where applicable once we're back up.

• Like 1

Buzzing for today, it's nice to actually be excited for a transfer deadline day for a change. Along with a chance to see some of our new signings in action tonight.

Let's leave the Benteke links out today though, as much as we all want him back we know it's not happening!

Hogan will do nicely!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tubby said:

That's an important observation.  We haven't been a team for a long time and the premier league did that to us.  I'm all for building a team again

Exactly this is what has led to our downfall. Bruce is building a team I think for the future not a short term fix like previous managers 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Godders said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Wasn't there talk of 3 teams when Xia took over- one to get us up, one to keep us up, and one to get us to Europe? 

That would suggest this is the "get us up" team and the changes will be rung where applicable once we're back up.

Wasn't that supposedly Moyes's (or another managerial candidate who didn't take/get the job) plan he stated at the interview?

Not that it was a bad plan. Tony may have already had similar plans or adopted this when hearing it.

We are where we are and we're getting some very good players. Some might make the jump to the Prem if we get promoted. If not, Tony will strengthen as most promoted teams do and we'll be in a much better bargaining position. He's not going to want us to go down once we're back up. It's all part of the building process.

15 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

I can see the Hogan soap opera going one of two ways, 1). He'll not sign, we'll batter them tonight and he'll see what a div he's been or 2). He'll not sign, score a hat-trick and this place will go into "Steve Bruce out" meltdown!

...... and we'll sign Benteke last minute! :trollface:

Think we can confidently say he won't be featuring at all tonight so that's one positive to come out of it already!