January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

This Amavi for 25 million is such bull shit. He's 22 and not interested in moving to China. If we received an offer of 15 million plus to a proper club we would sell. Anyway I don't think Bruce rates him all that much so wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor start infront of Amavi. 

• Like 1

Bringing Taylor in makes sense to me for several reasons.

1) We have no left back cover if Amavi gets injured

2) Amavi needs proper competition for the LB berth.

3) I have a feeling that (unless we get promoted) Amavi will be gone in the summer.

4) If Amavi does go, we'll have a ready made replacement in Taylor, with the added benefit of him already being at the club for 6 months.

If bringing in Taylor means Ayew goes, then so be it.

I really like Ayew and think he's a very talented player but for some reason doesn't quite fit with the way Bruce wants us to play. If he has to go to strengthen the team, it's ok as long as the money gained is used wisely.

If Ayew is part of the deal for Taylor, then another striker is certainly needed. 

Reading between the lines, Rhodes has had his head turned by our interest and wants to come. The deal will happen as he is surplus to requirements at Boro, he wants out and we're his best option.

• Like 2

Im quite happy with the 'swap' as long as we sign a striker. Ayew as a striker ahead of our new midfield could work, but I dont think he's a wide player. We need a 'proper' striker, and if the management dont see Ayew as that player then Id be happy for him to go in exchange for Taylor plus a bit of cash

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

But..... But Bruce is an awful dinosaur of a manager who doesn't have a clue....... According to some.  Hmm maybe the 4 times promoted manager does have an idea how to plan after all. 

Well, he will have his own players in so I will be expecting more cohesive performances from the team before I will be convinced.

40 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Has he? I don't remember that. I remember RDM playing him there from the bench. 

I do believe I've seen him play LW under Bruce but when that was I don't remember. He certainly has the attributes, he's one of the few players in our squad capable of crossing the ball and beating his marker. I think he's done a fairly good job at LB but I personally would prefer to see him pushed forward. Some great midfielders have started out as defenders, I believe Barry started as a LB for us didn't he?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He actually started out on the left of a back 3. Then left back, then left midfield, then settled in centre mid under O'Neill.  

And he was one of the most professional and hard working midfielders I've ever seen at the Villa. Granted, the 98' season is the first year I can remember and I'm sure many posters will remember others. I'm certainly not suggesting Amavi will become a captain CM, but a high standard LW is not out of the question with his capabilities and two new CM who seem to know how to do their job.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 7392craig said:

And he was one of the most professional and hard working midfielders I've ever seen at the Villa. Granted, the 98' season is the first year I can remember and I'm sure many posters will remember others. I'm certainly not suggesting Amavi will become a captain CM, but a high standard LW is not out of the question with his capabilities and two new CM who seem to know how to do their job.

Think bjarnason will be more than good enough to take on the attacking left sided role - amavi might find it hard to keep his place if Taylor arriVes.

Edited by Eastie

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Think bjarnason will be more than good enough to take on the attacking left sided role - amavi might find it hard to keep his place if Taylor arriVes.

True, but perhaps Amavi could be the competition for that place? Or perhaps I'm just talking out my arse and this is all fantasy. But either way I think we'll be keeping Amavi in the starting 11, providing he keeps performing.

3 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

True, but perhaps Amavi could be the competition for that place? Or perhaps I'm just talking out my arse and this is all fantasy. But either way I think we'll be keeping Amavi in the starting 11, providing he keeps performing.

Defensively he needs to be on his game more because taylor is a solid  defender , amavi is a better attacking left back - depends which Bruce sees as more important .

• Like 1

I feel fairly certain Amavi will not spend a second season in the Championship.

And as we with all likelihood we be in the Championship next season he won't remain here.

Taylor is a solid enough option for any Championship team, even thou he and the entire Swansea defense has been diabolical this season.

And at 28 he's around the same age as most of our squad, not that I'm sure it really matters other than that next season is probably do or die for this crop.

Ayew + a sizable chunk of money would be an OK deal.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

I feel fairly certain Amavi will not spend a second season in the Championship.

And as we with all likelihood we be in the Championship next season he won't remain here.

Taylor is a solid enough option for any Championship team, even thou he and the entire Swansea defense has been diabolical this season.

And at 28 he's around the same age as most of our squad, not that I'm sure it really matters other than that next season is probably do or die for this crop.

Ayew + a sizable chunk of money would be an OK deal.

Taylor plus £5m ? Or are you wanting more?

Just now, Eastie said:

Taylor plus £5m ? Or are you wanting more?

Nah, that seems about right.

Obviously I'd like more, but I think it will be something like that if it comes off.

Would like us to have some sort of sell on clause thou. 20-25% maybe.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Eastie said:

At the minute I would still play green, at least short term, he hasn't put a foot wrong and wouldn't want to knock his confidence after having 2 good games for us. 

I kind of agree about the lb, amavi overall for me is a much better player than Taylor, however Taylor is more solid defensively. If we had the 2 of them competing then I think it would improve us no end from what we had at the start of the window (cissokho)

• Like 1