January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I agree entirely but for some reason we just don't seem to have a decent scouting network in place at the minute

I'm sure that is something Steve Round is working on for future, but currently we are never at the races when it comes to finding bargain lower/non league or continental talent 

Don't think we had a scouting network at Villa since.......can't remember now.

I certainly don't mind us signing Rhodes, but even though we can't seem to score for toffee, I think that is more in part to a lack of midfield. So I would say Rhodes is bottom of the must have list behind 2 new midfielders, a new right back and left back cover.

Looks like no one is going to be signed because if they were then surely the dealing would have been done before the market opened?  After all is the club supposed to be being run properly now?  From what i can see its still a joke club aka hiring RDM instead of Gary Rowett and also giving said RDM money to piss up the wall!!!

4 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I certainly don't mind us signing Rhodes, but even though we can't seem to score for toffee, I think that is more in part to a lack of midfield. So I would say Rhodes is bottom of the must have list behind 2 new midfielders, a new right back and left back cover.

I think Riccardo Calder might be left back cover now, he's really come on in the past couple of years 

9 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Can't argue too much with what you say @bobzy just think there is better players available than Rhodes for the sums it will cost. 

I agree, there probably is better value for money. But as a football club and/or manager, you're weighing up, say, £12m for a guy who has a better than 1 in 2 record whilst scoring over 150 goals in the exact league you're in versus, say, a £2m signing from France who has had one good season where he scored 20 in 30 games. 

I know which one I'd be more willing to buy in order to "guarantee success". 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Can't argue too much with what you say @bobzy just think there is better players available than Rhodes for the sums it will cost. 

There probably is but which ones will be willing to come me to us? Have you seen the league table? 

6 hours ago, allani said:

Ok - firstly, if the talented new recruits that I took on were of questionable character than I have ****ed up my recruitment.  My job when recruiting was to pick people who had the ability to do the specific job I wanted and to work effectively in a team.  (I worked in IT - so when signing a programmer, their coding skills would only have been one of the factors to consider - it was just as important that they could work effectively with the testers and / or client reps.  Indeed there were probably very good coders that I "rejected" because I could never, ever have sat them in front of the client and asked them to explain how part of the software system worked).  It is not always easy to spot that in an interview (or to revert back to football through scouting).  BUT....

If I recruit someone of "suspect" character and put them in an environment where the rest of the team: turn up on time, have a high attendance record, work bloody hard, and act professionally - then there is a chance that the "suspect" character will pull their socks up and live up to the standards of the rest of the team.  But put a "good" character in a team where everyone is taking the piss, turning up late & hungover/pissed, leaving early and generally dicking around then it is almost guaranteed that said "good" character will in no time be less professional than they used to be and highly likely that it will not be long before they are as bad as the rest of them.  (Which has almost certainly impacted on us in the recent past.)

So if your team is full of "talent" but the wrong attitude then bringing in a handful of new recruits is not going to work.  This is exactly where we were last season.  Not only were the team poor - but they delivered less than they could / should have done because they had no fight and very little professionalism.  That is what hurt more than anything.  Not so much that we were bad - but that we had no fight.  I'm still concerned that we have too many players who failed on many levels last season still in the squad / team and that this is partly why we are still struggling.  These players need outing not just from the team but from the squad and the club so that any new players aren't dragged down to their level.  This is why I still think we are in need of major change not just tinkering.  There are probably at least 8-10 players here who shouldn't be and we don't have the strength in depth or (from what I can tell) the young players coming through to drop them without replacements. 

And that's before we consider what happens should we do well next season (or by some miracle hit an amazing run this season) and get promoted - for example with decent fullbacks and a solid midfield - Baker / Chester looks pretty decent for a promotion push next year.  But would either let alone both be good enough to survive in the Premier League?  I don't know.  So even our better players / professionals are I think of limited value as they will ultimately need to be replaced if we are to get back to where I think we all think we should be.  If we only do that a couple of players at a time then we're looking at 6-7 years minimum and also at the fact that with that timescale we are constantly going to be losing our better players to clubs that might be able to fulfill their ambitions at some stage during their career.  Unless of course we fluke "a Leicester" - but that happens once every....

1980-81 was the last time before Leicester.:)

However,I agree with your rendition.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I don't get this talk of not wanting Rhodes because of our poor midfield as if it's an either/or situation.

I'm pretty sure the grand plan is to get both a striker AND a new midfield. You can't really dictate when and how those deals are going to be struck, especially when you are not the only club in for said midfielders.

• Like 1

Two decent, proven midfielders are a definite must. However, for the striker position, I would rather we take a chance on a promising up and comer from an outside league rather than being held to ransom by Boro over Rhodes. A good, proven striker would be ideal, but once we have the midfield, the onus on better strikers will be more relaxed.

Build the midfield, and the goals will come.

• Like 1