January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

11 hours ago, villarocker said:

We want to go up to the Premier League ASAP so we need to be careful how many players we buy, together with the terms of contract, because we don't want to be laboured with a squad that is only good enough for the Championship. I think loans are the way forward for us herein. Johnstone is one, I'd make Rhodes another, Jenkinson (if possible) another and maybe Matt James. We could then go and buy Lansbury and Hourihane (if they want to join) because they would be decent enough for a squad in the Premier League, whereas Westwood and Gardner have already proved they aren't up to that level. 

They ain't up to THIS level.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I think the model that we seem to be following reflects the urgency of our situation, at least as that urgency as viewed by management/ownership. I'm not sure it would be fruitful over a longer term, but I would think once we were on firmer foundations (and back in the PL) the 're-build' could take place over a longer period of time and happen more organically. I'm not sure how long Leeds have been assembling that squad, but I doubt our ownership would accept the leisurely pace of more than half a season at this moment in time while promotion is still possible. 

I'm not too worried about the kinds of player we seem to be being linked with, or the types we bought over the summer. I think this league can be conquered with 'brute force' so to speak, and by that I mean simply buying better players and having a good manager. We've got some good players, and we've got a good manager, so I still think a few quality additions and we will have a decent side. 

Perhaps there's luck as well as judgement though in these things. 

Fair point....I more than accept your view.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Video starts with 'one of the bright young things of Australian football'.....

.... He's older than me and I'm the wrong side of 30!

He's not young but fitness has always been a strength of his and last time I saw him play he was still in good shape.

He is playing for Baniyas in the UAE but wants a move away so he can keep his spot in the Socceroos squad for Russia 2018.

There has been interest in him from clubs in England and Germany. Earlier in his career he was linked with a move to Manchester City and was on the verge of joining Arsenal after impressing Arsene Wenger on a trial.

I still see him as a gamble and it would only be a short term solution but I have always rated him and if we signed Hourihane I can see Milligan as potentially a good partner for him.

Edited by Michael118

1 hour ago, Ponky said:

As a Melbourne Victory fan I'm a huge fan of Mark Milligan but there's no way on God's green earth he would be a good signing for us. He's got a great engine but his passing his not much better than Jedinak's and as pointed out he's in his thirties. 

For a CDM I think his passing is fine. His range of passing is actually highlighted in his bio on the Socceroos website as a strength.

I have always rated him higher than Jedinak and I rate Jedinak as a player so naturally I think he can offer us something at this level.

The only thing Staunton lacked was a bit of pace,  otherwise he had everything.  His long range passing was amazing,  only Merse perhaps better since I been watching villa (87) 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bobzy said:

We need a new striker - especially given that we've shipped out Gestede.  Even if it's just a loan signing.

I don't disagree at all, Our choices are good but selfish, talented selfish no goals, pricey & underwhelmed, elbows and injuries, and out of shape hysterical caricature of a legend. Add in the overhyped wont sign and we're looking terrible despite the depth.

I just think if we had 2 players out injured for 3-4 weeks we wouldn't usually be planning to add to the ranks to cover for them we'd be using the squad.

23 minutes ago, Kingman said:

I thought the winky thing would be a bit of a give away! 

Tough crowd :crylaugh:

Totally cool. Kudos to you for setting up the gag anyway. :)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Junxs said:

The only thing Staunton lacked was a bit of pace,  otherwise he had everything.  His long range passing was amazing,  only Merse perhaps better since I been watching villa (87) 

I remember one of my Yorkshire mates used to always refer to him as Steve "seg it" Staunton, dismissing his long raking diagonals as him just lumping it up the pitch as soon as he got it.

Looks like the Lansbury deal will be a complicated one and not guaranteed, depends on the Forest takeover...

Expecting a thrashing today, no hope with Gabby starting up front. Would love to be surprised though.

I wonder if it's worth trying to go for Trippier again, we were linked in the last window

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Looks like the Lansbury deal will be a complicated one and not guaranteed, depends on the Forest takeover...

Expecting a thrashing today, no hope with Gabby starting up front. Would love to be surprised though.

I wonder if it's worth trying to go for Trippier again, we were linked in the last window

Let's hope we can get the Lansbury deal done early next week to give him a few days to train before wolves.

Not got a clue why he would start gabby over McCormack, maybe he wanted someone that can impact the game from the bench?

Trippier is a great shout mate, would love to have someone like him here

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Much changed Spurs team so you never know, why Gabby & not McCormack though?

His fitness, his hard work and application in training. But above all his footballing intelligence, on and off the ball. 

So the logic is that we are going to get a thrashing because Gabby is starting.

Isn't it the defenses job to prevent thrashings, and forwards jobs to help dish them out?

Forgot it is Gabby we are talking about, and he magically morphs into 11 shit players based on what "camp" you are in.

ALSO.Maybe saving McCormack for whats important, ya know, the league?

I swear, logic goes out the window.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So the logic is that we are going to get a thrashing because Gabby is starting.

Isn't it the defenses job to prevent thrashings, and forwards jobs to help dish them out?

Forgot it is Gabby we are talking about, and he magically morphs into 11 shit players based on what "camp" you are in.

ALSO.Maybe saving McCormack for whats important, ya know, the league?

I swear, logic goes out the window.

Actually no, thrashing because our team is comparatively much weak(er) in all areas and if Spurs had played a near full strength 11.

On Gabby, can't see him scoring or contributing much as usual.

Hope that clears that up and that we can somehow get a positive result. Encouraged a little by Spurs reserve 11.

• Like 1

Seriously though, I hope some of these players can prove a point and show some quality. They are fighting for their futures in a sense and need to show their worth to the manager, otherwise they will hopefully be replaced with better quality.

UTV