Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

56 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I agree. Midfield is a massive issue BUT there is also something wrong up front,  they just don't play well between each other or complement each other well,  and it seems the same way regardless of which of our large number of forwards are playing.  On paper we should be scoring for fun. 

It maybe that the changes in midfield will fix this but I do worry it's a deeper problem. 

Bruce needs to earn his corn. 

I mentioned this in another thread. Adomah, Kodjia and Ayew are all unpredictable, head down and run sorts, and i just don't think you can have a whole front line of these types, especially when 2 of those don't even like to pass the ball. 

I think you need McCormack and Grealish playing more often than not, at least until until Bruce gets a window to sort out the middle 

Nice to be picking up points but still a worry that we still do not have an identity or way of playing?  Think a 3-5-2 might suit us better.  We should be beating the likes of Burton and comfortably but we don't seem to know how.

Surely the Gardner deal is given by Steve Round not Steve Bruce?  Round should be responsible for the overall philosophy of the club moving forward and the identification of potential players that meet the Managers requirements?

I know people don't pay attention to the manager in a press conference, but that's what is giving me hope here. We're playing badly and grinding out wins with poor displays, but at least the manager is acknowledging that. Show's that he's not happy with how we're playing and the performances of certain players. At least he sees what we do, and he's not signing us up to play this horrid "style" of football for the foreseeable future. Think we'll know by January 31st whether or not we'll be making a real fist of the playoffs push

• Like 3

Also, not the usual fan in this respect, but I tend to feel happy after a game when I'm walking from the ground thinking "if we play like that every week we'll give any team a real good game". Even if we've lost, if we've played well and simply weren't good enough, or unlucky, or whatever it was. I just want to see consistent performances that match the ability of the playing squad.

At the moment, and for about a month, I'm thinking "if we play like that every week then we're a good team away from a battering".

It's not all doom and gloom, we've got good players and a good manager. But there's work to be done before turning this team into a cohesive unit. 

Edited by skarroki
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, skarroki said:

Also, not the usual fan in this respect, but I tend to feel happy after a game when I'm walking from the ground thinking "if we play like that every week we'll give any team a real good game". Even if we've lost, if we've played well and simply weren't good enough, or unlucky, or whatever it was. I just want to see consistent performances that match the ability of the playing squad.

At the moment, and for about a month, I'm thinking "if we play like that every week then we're a good team away from a battering".

It's not all doom and gloom, we've got good players and a good manager. But there's work to be done before turning this team into a cohesive unit. 

we havnt been a cohesive unit since MON left us .

i am impressed with bruce so far , preferring baker to elphick , dropping underperformers , trying different selections , it cant be easy with this ramshackle squad .

10 hours ago, Mantis said:

Why would I think they should?

I'm not very good at second guessing.....its for you to tell me.

you said they could be booing a victory soon....I said should they or should'nt they?....I was searching for your opinion.

i wasn't sure if it was sarcasm or a criticism or wishful thinking.

Edited by TRO

12 hours ago, Mantis said:

I honestly believe we're only a couple of more wins at home away from the team getting booed off after a victory. West Ham did it a couple of seasons ago.

Or maybe this is just a VT thing?

There was some booing yesterday at half time, so it's not just a VT thing.

While the team play is far from well.....this guy has the ability to secure wins.

He knows like we do, it's not right, but he also knows wins keep the wolf from the door while he goes about the equally difficult job of making us look convincing.

it can't all be done in 5 minutes, but he has addressed the most crucial bit....even if it is tough on the eye.

To be perfectly honest,  this kind of grinding out results but not playing very well is exactly what I was expecting from Bruce.  I'm not sure he will know how to change it that much,  it's kinda what he does.  I'm not complaining though,  a couple of midfielders should see the grind become easier,  but nothing will change dramatically imo.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Worry is interest paid on tomorrows troubles.... try enjoying today. Or you could change your name to Worrytom.

In light of what Tom has been writing since... well as long as I can remember... and since Tom undoubtably is a big Villa fan, Worrytom is an excelleny shout Villan_of_oz. ;)

(Sorry Tom, I don't mean to be an a**).

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I'm not very good at second guessing.....its for you to tell me.

you said they could be booing a victory soon....I said should they or should'nt they?....I was searching for your opinion.

i wasn't sure if it was sarcasm or a criticism or wishful thinking.

Why on Earth would I think they should be booing the team after a victory? I would've thought my posts on Bruce so far have made it blindingly obvious where I stand.

Edited by Mantis

Â