Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

In my humble opinion the idea that Bruce has ever, or would ever, made or make any decision at all about anything based even remotely on anything any fans say or think is just silly. 

And I dread to think what a dogs dinner we would be if he did !

It does happen though. Lambert dropping Hutton to the bomb squad was purely to please the fans in my opinion. 

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It does happen though. Lambert dropping Hutton to the bomb squad was purely to please the fans in my opinion. 

?? Nothing to do with him being awful then? He’s done ok now in the Championship but was a joke in the Prem and still has mares now. He’s actually looked better at LB. I’d hope a manager is strong enough not to listen to fans and have confidence in themselves but I think some do when the pressure mounts. Not sure if Bruce does as he seems a stubborn git. That can be a good and a bad thing. 

14 hours ago, briny_ear said:

So this thread has been getting crazier every hour for about the last 6 months and now is reaching its zenith in the idea that Steve Agnew turned up on the morning of 22 December and by the afternoon the team had completely transformed the way it played.*

(Helped just a little bit by the return to fitness and form and recovery from injury of some of our best players :))

Seeing as Bruce and Wyness have credited him to changing things immediately and Hogan bigs him up. Then Birkir even said we’ve been better drilled recently it’s hard not to. Against Sheff Utd we flew out the blocks something we’ve rarely done but couldn’t keep it up. We’ve then since Brentford improved week on week. Something has changed and if it’s all down to Grealish being fit we need to wrap him in cotton wool as all the rest were fit at the start of the season. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

?? Nothing to do with him being awful then? He’s done ok now in the Championship but was a joke in the Prem and still has mares now. He’s actually looked better at LB. I’d hope a manager is strong enough not to listen to fans and have confidence in themselves but I think some do when the pressure mounts. Not sure if Bruce does as he seems a stubborn git. That can be a good and a bad thing. 

He was awful but he wasn't make him train with the kids awful. 

20 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Haha true but I think that was more to keep them away from the main group and try to make them move. Bruce’s bomb squad is in Australia. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Haha true but I think that was more to keep them away from the main group and try to make them move. Bruce’s bomb squad is in Australia. 

Also lets not forget it was Lambert that bought him back 2 years later! 

I think he was very harshly treated. 

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seems to be that like most Managers in life, Bruce needed the right people. So he had a choice, recruit somebody new or take a chance on waiting for his main man to become available. It was risky but we had more than enough in the team and squad for him to take that risk. 

We was asked many times.....why do we keep mentioning time?, why does Bruce need time?

you have just highlighted one of the reasons.....The time it takes to get the right people and that includes players.

The whole thing is starting to look joined up, with everyone singing off the same Hymn sheet.....that has been missing for years, its just been a game of self survival, inc behind the scenes.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think SB is a decent guy, who treats them all fairly( from what I gather).....I don't know the finite details of " Cormackgate" so I can't directly comment....but equally I don't think SB is a man to **** about with either.

Any fan who knew Bobby MacDonald will tell you Ron Saunders used to make him train with the kids on Occasions.....Thats what happens when relationships break down.Bobby was critical of Ron in his treatment, but Hey! I'm a Villa Fan( not an employeee) Ron was a hero to me.

I am not going to tell professional football managers how to punish or motivate their players, that up to them to decide.

Some players do take the ****......and they get all precious when  the Boss takes it back.

There is only one boss in a football club( on the playing side) and they all have to know who he is.....We just have to accept they are doing all the things that are right for the club, irrespective of how they do it.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Also lets not forget it was Lambert that bought him back 2 years later! 

I think he was very harshly treated. 

Hutton has been playing at a decent level for most of this season and parts of last, but when Alan's off his game it's not pretty. Easy to forget how shocking he was, I think. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lerner's Driver said:

Hutton has been playing at a decent level for most of this season and parts of last, but when Alan's off his game it's not pretty. Easy to forget how shocking he was, I think. 

I've not forgetton. I just think it's wrong to make a player train with the youngsters just could he is not playing well enough. 

Feels like He was one of the biggest scapegoats of Mcleish era and made an example of by the new manager at the time. 

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I've not forgetton. I just think it's wrong to make a player train with the youngsters just could he is not playing well enough. 

Feels like He was one of the biggest scapegoats of Mcleish era and made an example of by the new manager at the time. 

I think in the main, they get singled out and treated like that, not because they are playing poorly......but because they are playing poorly and then bitching at the manager for not playing them.

players have to take some responsibility for their own form and deal with it.

football clubs are not renowned for "holding your hand across the road".....its a bit of a dog eat dog environment.....thats what matchday gets you ready for.

I think Steve Bruce gets that balance right.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think in the main, they get singled out and treated like that, not because they are playing poorly......but because they are playing poorly and then bitching at the manager for not playing them.

players have to take some responsibility for their own form and deal with it.

football clubs are not renowned for "holding your hand across the road".....its a bit of a dog eat dog environment.....thats what matchday gets you ready for.

Lamberts weak. Didn't even have the balls to walk even though the job was destroying him. 

Anyway to keep thing back on topic...

Bruce out! 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Seeing as Bruce and Wyness have credited him to changing things immediately and Hogan bigs him up. Then Birkir even said we’ve been better drilled recently it’s hard not to. Against Sheff Utd we flew out the blocks something we’ve rarely done but couldn’t keep it up. We’ve then since Brentford improved week on week. Something has changed and if it’s all down to Grealish being fit we need to wrap him in cotton wool as all the rest were fit at the start of the season. 

See my earlier response to a similar point made by another poster. (Can't remember who).

42 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Lamberts weak. Didn't even have the balls to walk even though the job was destroying him. 

Anyway to keep thing back on topic...

Bruce out! 

You are right the job was destroying him - but clearly it was not all down to him - The club itself did not lend itself to supporting him fully during a very disappointing tenure in my humble opinion 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seems to be that like most Managers in life, Bruce needed the right people. So he had a choice, recruit somebody new or take a chance on waiting for his main man to become available. It was risky but we had more than enough in the team and squad for him to take that risk. 

If that is indeed what happened, and it may very well be, I think that would be terrific testament to Bruce’s character, and at last a case of forward thinking by this Club !! About time we employed people we actually want rather than grabbing people out of desperation. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 18:04, Dave J said:

You are right the job was destroying him - but clearly it was not all down to him - The club itself did not lend itself to supporting him fully during a very disappointing tenure in my humble opinion 

It was a ship sinking and everyone clambering for the lifeboats.

when its like that.....the sea( situation) just gobbles you up.

Edited by TRO

Â