Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We will be lucky to get 3 points from Forest the way they are playing against Arsenal 3-1

Wouldn’t take too much notice of cup results at this stage as many teams put out weakened sides - the fa cup sadly is nothing compared to what it  once was.

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Perhaps you would like to go back and point out where I said i didn't agree that it was the wrong word to use?

Why am I being asked to go back and point out where you said you didn’t agree with it, when I’ve never said that you didn’t :huh: I’m simply saying I’m glad you agree ‘fluke’ was the wrong word.

People who say that we still had a strong enough team to beat Posh aren't appreciating that we didn't really have a team.  We had a lot of individuals, some that have played a lot together, others that have hardly played at all, against a team that have been playing together weak in weak out with each other and this was arguably one of the the biggest game of their season. 

I get fans are upset with Bruce with the way he setup a second string team.  If thats your only complaint then fine, I agree with this.  If your complaint is that Bruce should have fielded a stronger team then I can't agree.  We are just about getting through a mini injury crisis after a gruelling December, last thing we needed was more injuries. 

If fans think yesterdays performance represents the rest of the season. Then that makes no sense considering only 1 of the players started against Bristol City. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

1-3 at home v P‘boro, defeats v Cardiff, Reading & Brentford certainly make it look that way

With that rational Newcastle must have fluke promotion as they lost 10 games last season. 

Wolves lost to QPR when even we could beat them!! Must be a fluke Wolves are top.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

People who say that we still had a strong enough team to beat Posh aren't appreciating that we didn't really have a team.  We had a lot of individuals, some that have played a lot together, others that have hardly played at all, against a team that have been playing together weak in weak out with each other and this was arguably one of the the biggest game of their season. 

I get fans are upset with Bruce with the way he setup a second string team.  If thats your only complaint then fine, I agree with this.  If your complaint is that Bruce should have fielded a stronger team then I can't agree.  We are just about getting through a mini injury crisis after a gruelling December, last thing we needed was more injuries. 

If fans think yesterdays performance represents the rest of the season. Then that makes no sense considering only 1 of the players started against Bristol City. 

The way I view it is like this - Bruce has only himself to blame simply because since being here the football has been turgid- we lack cohesion and any semblance of a style of play and because of this he is rightly or wrongly depending on which camp you are in only ever 1 game from getting pilloried - he has done nothing to buy himself any grace or favour and I include myself in this.

yestetday hand on heart I can understand to a degree making changes - but here it comes - he should have been good enough to have masterminded a victory over a league one team - and should also have shown the competition a little more respect in terms of changes made in my opinion 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Its was a question, not a claim.

Ok not arguing, but.

why did the revered Dean Smith fail against lowly Notts county.....does he not know what he's doing, because he can beat aston villa anytime he likes, but not Notts county.

What was a question? 

What relevance does Dean Smith have in this discussion? 

As for the Peterbrough game.

If you don't like Bruce you're going to say the game does matter and it's a disgrace that we lost etc.

If you do like Bruce you're going to say it doesn't matter.

Most of us probably sit in the middle. It's a shame to lose and it was a disappointing result, but we can see why we played a weakened team. But that team should still have been good enough to win. Ultimately our priority, rightly or wrongly, is the league.

• Like 2

can't say i agree. manager sets his strategy, philosophy cross the club, not only for his first XI. he was sitting down with players he chose for few days, talked about tactict and formations. its not like he was choosing players he doesnt know from a menu...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dave J said:

The way I view it is like this - Bruce has only himself to blame simply because since being here the football has been turgid- we lack cohesion and any semblance of a style of play and because of this he is rightly or wrongly depending on which camp you are in only ever 1 game from getting pilloried - he has done nothing to buy himself any grace or favour and I include myself in this.

yestetday hand on heart I can understand to a degree making changes - but here it comes - he should have been good enough to have masterminded a victory over a league one team - and should also have shown the competition a little more respect in terms of changes made in my opinion 

I agree with your entire post with one caveat. We are 5 points off second place. 

I just can't constantly be angry with the guy when he has us so close to promotion. 

didn't we have a similar 2nd string against Wigan in the cup and won comfortably?

9 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

didn't we have a similar 2nd string against Wigan in the cup and won comfortably?

They had a second string too. I've no doubt had they had their strongest team they would have given us a game. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

44 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree with your entire post with one caveat. We are 5 points off second place. 

I just can't constantly be angry with the guy when he has us so close to promotion. 

Does he though ? We have bobbed in and out of the play offs for a little while - I would say promotion is totally in the balance and could very easily go either way - which is why I repeat that ok is not ok 

So do people feel Bruce wanted out of this competition in order to remove distractions from the main aim, but can't say so for obvious reasons and so chose a team to lose, or wanted to win but just miscalculated the balance of first teamers and others that would get us through?

1 minute ago, peterms said:

So do people feel Bruce wanted out of this competition in order to remove distractions from the main aim, but can't say so for obvious reasons and so chose a team to lose, or wanted to win but just miscalculated the balance of first teamers and others that would get us through?

I don't believe for  a second Bruce deliberately lost the game, he would have just played the same weakended Side in next round

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

If you don't like Bruce you're going to say the game does matter and it's a disgrace that we lost etc.

Most of us probably sit in the middle. It's a shame to lose and it was a disappointing result, but we can see why we played a weakened team. But that team should still have been good enough to win. Ultimately our priority, rightly or wrongly, is the league.

F*** me, for once I kind of agree with you Stevo  :o

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't believe for  a second Bruce deliberately lost the game, he would have just played the same weakended Side in next round

I believe he wanted go let his old pal Barry Fry progress combined with wanting to retain focus on the league.

Hey f*** it.. if we had won we would still be moaning about something without a doubt  :D

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I believe he wanted go let his old pal Barry Fry progress combined with wanting to retain focus on the league.

Hey f*** it.. if we had won we would still be moaning about something without a doubt  :D

Well you and GH would ;)

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm in the do not like Bruce camp but also think the game doesn't matter.

Â