Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Darth Villa said:

I wasn't suggesting that anyone wanted anything but a quick return to the top flight but he had two years from the off and was worried about our decline. That was the reason given for his overly defensive approach which has now changed.

I was simply suggesting that perhaps a more considered and sustainable approach has kicked in after we failed last season?

I agree Bruce would likely get the push if we failed again but I'm not so sure now as he does seem to be building something we haven't had since MoN left us. A winning attitude.

Sorry, I've probably misunderstood your post.

I'm with you I'm not sure Bruce would get the sack if we missed promotion, now that he has shown he can produce a winning team.

I'm interested to know if the board are intending to look for potential replacements regardless of outcome, or if they are impressed enough with Bruce.

• Thanks 1

Now I’ve calmed down after the weekend it’s back to the reality of us still having a lot to do and relying on other teams to do us some favours. 

Credit to Bruce for getting them fired up on Saturday but for me Grealish is more important than the manager at this stage. I think the Preston and Sheff Wed games were evidence of this.

Im happy with Bruce but I’ll say the same thing that I do after a bad result. We won’t know if he has done a good job or was the right man or not until the end of the season.

It’s all or nothing. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

He is our first success story in 8 years. Credit to him.

I think that Snodgrass interview says as much about Snodgrass' attitude as it does Bruce.

We finally have a group of players willing to 'run through walls for a manager', and thankfully it seems Bruce is a decent man as well as manager.

I'm torn in a way. I knew the results would come under Bruce, even when it looked poor (the squad we were aquiring was just too good to continue to fail).

Now they have come and we are enjoying some success that we really haven't seen in nearly a decade.

That said, would I choose Bruce over say a financially backed Carlo Ancelotti (who is out of work)? Probably not.

I want us to take that next step as soon as possible, and although Bruce could very well be the man to win us promotion, it's an unknown how far he can take us.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If there even is the little doubt on anyone's mind that Bruce is still not the right man...

Clicky

This has been evident all season imo.

When we were having a bad spell people were saying the players weren't playing for Bruce or that he'd lost the dressing room.

Even though I fell into the Bruce Out camp eventually, I never got that impression. Even when it wasn't working I still felt the players were giving their all for the manager.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

When we were having a bad spell people were saying the players weren't playing for Bruce or that he'd lost the dressing room.

Even though I fell into the Bruce Out camp eventually, I never got that impression. Even when it wasn't working I still felt the players were giving their all for the manager.

I would say I too am in that camp stevo.

However he has my support until the end if season without question.

Even the way he celebrated on the weekend it meant so much to him. I loved that passion for the 4th goal.

43 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Well said Mark, as ever. And as usual I find myself agreeing with you. That's the commitment I want to see from a 'Bruce team'.

Tro!!

Weird how VT has affected the way the brain works! :snip:

One thing is for sure, if we end up in the play-offs, no one can say we wont have a puncher's chance after the weekend's display!

The other thing is the sad personal time for Bruce. I have no doubt, this TEAM, want to do this for the gaffer. Whether they do or not is kind of secondary to me. Finally, I'm watching a team again in claret and blue who want to win games as much as we do.

Bring on the tickly bit :)

I agree.....brilliant post VM

I have always been confident in SB ......but sadly have had my neggy wobbles, of which i am not proud of.

I get a bit disappointepd at times when folk begrudge SB any credit by citing the quality signings and wages we pay, like its a given to be where we are.

may i remind folk.....snoddy was a failure at West Ham.....Johnstone was 3rd placed Keeper....Adomah was unfancied at Middlesborough......Taylor a swap.....Hourihane and Lansbury budget buys.....Hutton a product of the bomb squad.......chester was a reject from Albion, they wanted rid.

No, for me he has worked wonders and continues to work wonders.

as for for my faith, i do have long term  faith now......just match to match, i am nervous.

I play games with myself.....In games like wolves, i declare a my negative side to lower my expectation.....then go off like a bottle of pop, when the team prove me wrong.

I guess its a way of milking the euphoria.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I agree.....brilliant post VM

I have always been confident in SB ......but sadly have had my neggy wobbles, of which i am not proud of.

I get a bit disappointepd at times when folk begrudge SB any credit by citing the quality signings and wages we pay, like its a given to be where we are.

may i remind folk.....snoddy was a failure at West Ham.....Johnstone was 3rd placed Keeper....Adomah was unfancied at Middlesborough......Taylor a swap.....Hourihane and Lansbury budget buys.....Hutton a product of the bomb squad.......chester was a reject from Albion, they wanted rid.

No, for me he has worked wonders and continues to work wonders.

as for for my faith, i do have long term  faith now......just match to match, i am nervous.

I play games with myself.....In games like wolves, i declare a my negative side to lower my expectation.....then go off like a bottle of pop, when the team prove me wrong.

I guess its a way of milking the euphoria.

I was in two minds whether or not to post this, as I don't want to dampen the view of SB's efforts but I will be nit picky and post anyway as I think it's worth pointing out.

Snodgrass averages 6 goals a season in the prem if you take out his season with WHU. Johnstone will command a fee of 6.5million, and I assume you mean 3rd place at Manchester United? Hardly a discredit to SJ's abilities. Adomah played 3 seasons of 40+ games for Boro averaging 8 goals a season and was only unfancied in the PL. Taylor a swap for a decent Ayew. Hourihane had an average of a goal in every 3 games and Lansbury a modest goal in every 5 games over 8 seasons. Both from midfield. We all know Hutton is really a reborn Cafu. And I'll give you Chester (what a gem that turned out to be).

Not to mention the purchase of Hogan, McCormack and Kodjia. Then the loan deal for Grabban. It's not as if he was gaining a squad of players that was underperforming in the championship, and SB magically turned their career around. No, he astutely went out and assembled a team worthy of a promotion push. So I would also like to add I am not trying to take away from the nous of SB to make such signings, I simply don't agree with you downplaying the value of each individual mentioned.

I was and have been a supporter of Bruce since day 1 this season. I knew the results would come eventually, but I knew this because of the signings he adeptly made and was afforded, not because he was some tactical genius. That's why I backed Bruce despite a draw at Hull, 3-0 loss to Cardiff, loss to Reading and 3 draws that came after the victory against Norwich.

Not once have I called for the sack. But it goes deeper than the good job Bruce is doing here for me. Someone was going to get it right eventually, with the backing from Xia, and instead of speculating as to who else might've done what, I'm thankful that we appointed Bruce as it would seem we have found someone capable of getting us out of this league.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I seem to remember him constantly saying about "players giving it their all" or "players didn't give it their all" or whatever after games as well.  People kept commenting about a lack of tactical nous, how Bruce doesn't do tactics, dinosaur manager etc. etc. but, it turns out, that he just really, really believes in having players giving their all for the team.  If you don't do it, you're out.  His message is pretty simple and the team have responded massively.

Probably the most united Villa squad I've seen, or noticed perhaps, in my lifetime.  His man management has been superb.

As an aside, I remember a lot of people saying "Bruce is fine for now, but if we go up we should sack him".  Now, we're still 3rd and definitely not promoted.  But everyone is positive, we're generally playing pretty well, we're certainly a very together group... would anyone who did think this change their mind?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I seem to remember him constantly saying about "players giving it their all" or "players didn't give it their all" or whatever after games as well.  People kept commenting about a lack of tactical nous, how Bruce doesn't do tactics, dinosaur manager etc. etc. but, it turns out, that he just really, really believes in having players giving their all for the team.  If you don't do it, you're out.  His message is pretty simple and the team have responded massively.

Probably the most united Villa squad I've seen, or noticed perhaps, in my lifetime.  His man management has been superb.

As an aside, I remember a lot of people saying "Bruce is fine for now, but if we go up we should sack him".  Now, we're still 3rd and definitely not promoted.  But everyone is positive, we're generally playing pretty well, we're certainly a very together group... would anyone who did think this change their mind?  

Me. 100%

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

With Brucies background this could be interpreted in one of two way. I like both 

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I would still prefer a different manager but I wouldn’t have a problem with him remaining as manager either. I still think the level of difference in the team and how we play without Grealish is a slight concern. 

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I was in two minds whether or not to post this, as I don't want to dampen the view of SB's efforts but I will be nit picky and post anyway as I think it's worth pointing out.

Snodgrass averages 6 goals a season in the prem if you take out his season with WHU. Johnstone will command a fee of 6.5million, and I assume you mean 3rd place at Manchester United? Hardly a discredit to SJ's abilities. Adomah played 3 seasons of 40+ games for Boro averaging 8 goals a season and was only unfancied in the PL. Taylor a swap for a decent Ayew. Hourihane had an average of a goal in every 3 games and Lansbury a modest goal in every 5 games over 8 seasons. Both from midfield. We all know Hutton is really a reborn Cafu. And I'll give you Chester (what a gem that turned out to be).

Not to mention the purchase of Hogan, McCormack and Kodjia. Then the loan deal for Grabban. It's not as if he was gaining a squad of players that was underperforming in the championship, and SB magically turned their career around. No, he astutely went out and assembled a team worthy of a promotion push. So I would also like to add I am not trying to take away from the nous of SB to make such signings, I simply don't agree with you downplaying the value of each individual mentioned.

I was and have been a supporter of Bruce since day 1 this season. I knew the results would come eventually, but I knew this because of the signings he adeptly made and was afforded, not because he was some tactical genius. That's why I backed Bruce despite a draw at Hull, 3-0 loss to Cardiff, loss to Reading and 3 draws that came after the victory against Norwich.

Not once have I called for the sack. But it goes deeper than the good job Bruce is doing here for me. Someone was going to get it right eventually, with the backing from Xia, and instead of speculating as to who else might've done what, I'm thankful that we appointed Bruce as it would seem we have found someone capable of getting us out of this league.

then, I am not referring to you in my thoughts...

my comments were merely a defence of the insinuations aimed at him in a begrudging tone IMO......not a boast on his behalf.

Personally, turning Villa around was potentially the hardest League, close to Sunderland.

I have nothing more to add.

Shocking performances away to Cardiff, Wolves, Derby and Fulham.

Blowing a 2-0 lead at home to Sheffield Utd

0-0 at home against a Boro team who had 10 men for 85 mins, 0-0 at home to Milwall and Brentford, losing at home to Sheffield Wednesday.

And then tonights disgraceful performance.

For as much as he's capable of getting the team to put in great performances, these type of games have happened too many times this season, and too many times under his tenure, and it is highly likely to cost us automatic promotion.

• Like 3

Â