Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Blues have spent the 4th most in the division this season.

”Some of us” getting trotted out always gives me a lol though. 

“Some of us” can see past blind hatred of an individual. 

Hatred of an individual? If by that you mean i hate seeing my club (which happens to have one of the best squads in the league) produce gutless performances week in week out, than yes. I guess you're right. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Hatred of an individual? If by that you mean i hate seeing my club (which happens to have one of the best squads in the league) produce gutless performances week in week out, than yes. I guess you're right. 

No, the hatred for an individual was in regards to your hatred for Steve Bruce who, after a good run of form, a draw away at our most bitter rivals and us sitting 6th in the league is an “embarrassment to the club”. 

That was the part about the individual hatred. We’d all love to see Villa win every game. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Gutless performances week in and week out? Do you even watch the games?

I was pretty annoyed during the match and shortly after. But now i've cooled off, it's not really a bad point. I mean, Blues did beat Cardiff a few weeks ago at home, who are arguably the best team in the league. Second half, after we brought Davis on, we were so much better. It's just frustrating that we started so negatively. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jasoncb said:

Gutless performances week in and week out? Do you even watch the games?

I've got a ST i go to every home game. And it gutless. 

6 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

I was pretty annoyed during the match and shortly after. But now i've cooled off, it's not really a bad point. I mean, Blues did beat Cardiff a few weeks ago at home, who are arguably the best team in the league. Second half, after we brought Davis on, we were so much better. It's just frustrating that we started so negatively. 

I don't think Blues are a good team but they are very very physical. There is no way they will go down and they will get a lot of points at home. 

Our abilty to hold the ball is very frustrating but overall I really think we should have won that game. 

Jed and Whelan holding away from home against more physical teams is a good way to go. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Our home record is good tbf. Away from home is the problem.

I'm not talking about results though mate. On the face of it a point away from home in a local derby is an 'ok' result. I'm talking about performance and set up relative to squad strenght. And i maintain that Bruce is a gutless manager. 

19 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm not talking about results though mate. On the face of it a point away from home in a local derby is an 'ok' result. I'm talking about performance and set up relative to squad strenght. And i maintain that Bruce is a gutless manager. 

Fair enough. 

50 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Blues have spent the 4th most in the division this season.

”Some of us” getting trotted out always gives me a lol though. 

“Some of us” can see past blind hatred of an individual. 

How many of their starting 11 would you put in our team?

Why did we continually keep lumping the ball to Kodja for the first 60 minutes of the game, why don't our manager change it?

I got the impression that we would take a point and try and snatch a winner at some point and that's how it played out. I would expect with the squad he had at his disposal and the dire need for our club to get promoted he might have been a bit more on the front foot.

Let's see how he sets us up for Preston

• Like 1

I just don't understand Bruce. He wants to play a more direct style and completely bypass the midfield...fine. Then why play the extra midfielder, and not play the one player who can make the ball stick up front? It was no coincidence that as soon as Davis came on we were threatening and created multiple scoring opportunities. Such a frustrating performance.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I just don't understand Bruce. He wants to play a more direct style and completely bypass the midfield...fine. Then why play the extra midfielder, and not play the one player who can make the ball stick up front? It was no coincidence that as soon as Davis came on we were threatening and created multiple scoring opportunities. Such a frustrating performance.

Because it clearly wasn’t the plan.

I enjoy the idea that whatever the players do = managers’ plan. 

Can't argue with him starting Onomah, the player deserved to play today. Maybe that was the problem, doing right by a player based on the last performance but with hindsight at the expense of another player who perhaps would have been better suited in this game. Tough call as a manager, clearly the wrong one today. 

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Because it clearly wasn’t the plan.

I enjoy the idea that whatever the players do = managers’ plan. 

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here bro.

Are you implying that it wasn't Bruce's plan to play hoofball today, and it was all if the players' volition? Ignoring the fact that this has been our default way of approaching away games and assuming this to be true, does Bruce not shoulder the blame for the players not playing according to 'plan'?

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

100%. Exactly how i feel, and why i think Bruce is hasn't got a clue. 

Last season the plan was to lump it up to kodjia and hope for the best. We then spend £14m on a guy that scored for fun at his previous club, a guy that makes clever runs and needs service, and continue to employ the same 'lump it forward' approach. Result, he looks shit. 

He signs Hurihane who scored buckets loads in an advanced position for his former club, plays him as a defensive midfielder. Result, he looked shit. 

He then stumbles upon Davis (and yes i give him little credit for that because everyone else was injured), and bingo, it suits his style. Because there is huge gap between midfield and attack Davis hold up ability brought enough time for our midfield to get up in support of the attack. Result. We start to win games. 

Kodjia then gets fit, Davis gets dropped and we start to look like a bag of shit again. 

Now, just to be clear, I'm not making young Davis out to be some sort world beater, on the contrary. He is young, raw and has a lot to learn. But but he is the only forward we have that suits Bruce's style of play. 

I even saw posts in the match thread suggesting Hurihane was atrocious, is it any fecking wonder? You have Whelan sat infront of the defensive, Onomah effectively given some sort of free role off Kodjia (even though he was clear when he joined that wasn't his position), so Hurihane was effectively the only midfielder. 

There is a lot of quality in this squad, enough imo for promotion. But Bruce's tactics are making everyone look shit. He has to go. 

27 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Can't argue with him starting Onomah, the player deserved to play today. Maybe that was the problem, doing right by a player based on the last performance but with hindsight at the expense of another player who perhaps would have been better suited in this game. Tough call as a manager, clearly the wrong one today. 

These are the calls he's paid the big bucks to make though, and he consistently gets them wrong.

Against Wolves for example he opted for a 2 man midfield against their midfield passing game and we predictably (even he predicted it before the match which makes his decision even more indefensible) got overrun in midfield and completely ripped apart. 

Today he made the correct decision at around 70 mins (I'll not get into how it was about 25 minutes too late) to bring on Keinan and have a target man up front. But he completely undermines it by taking off Hourihane for the last 20 minutes, our best set-piece taker (and only decent one left on the field after taking off Snodgrass) and leaving on Onomah who was having a stinker. What happens is we have some very good set-piece opportunities in the dying minutes and our best set-piece taker hauled off the pitch inexplicably. I would have backed Conor to bury that last free kick. It's this complete lack of foresight that bugs me.

His only tactics seem to be "don't change a winning team" and "only try something different/new after losing". Unfortunately it's not 2002 anymore and he can't just coast by being a 'man manager'. His complete lack of tactical awareness and foresight has been costing us points. These aren't some clairvoyant tactical masterstrokes he's not delivering on, these are the basics that you'd expect any manager to be able to employ.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

100%. Exactly how i feel, and why i think Bruce is hasn't got a clue. 

Last season the plan was to lump it up to kodjia and hope for the best. We then spend £14m on a guy that scored for fun at his previous club, a guy that makes clever runs and needs service, and continue to employ the same 'lump it forward' approach. Result, he looks shit. 

He signs Hurihane who scored buckets loads in an advanced position for his former club, plays him as a defensive midfielder. Result, he looked shit. 

He then stumbles upon Davis (and yes i give him little credit for that because everyone else was injured), and bingo, it suits his style. Because there is huge gap between midfield and attack Davis hold up ability brought enough time for our midfield to get up in support of the attack. Result. We start to win games. 

Kodjia then gets fit, Davis gets dropped and we start to look like a bag of shit again. 

Now, just to be clear, I'm not making young Davis out to be some sort world beater, on the contrary. He is young, raw and has a lot to learn. But but he is the only forward we have that suits Bruce's style of play. 

I even saw posts in the match thread suggesting Hurihane was atrocious, is it any fecking wonder? You have Whelan sat infront of the defensive, Onomah effectively given some sort of free role off Kodjia (even though he was clear when he joined that wasn't his position), so Hurihane was effectively the only midfielder. 

There is a lot of quality in this squad, enough imo for promotion. But Bruce's tactics are making everyone look shit. He has to go. 

Spot on.

Â