Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, Nigel said:

You would never guess we were on a 3 game run of 2 wins and a draw (scoring 9 goals in the process) looking at this thread!

We have 5 points from 5 games in the league. That is the important stat right now. I want Bruce to do well and happy when we hired him. This is a big month for him and our club. Get it wrong and it could have massive consequences. 

• Like 1

Just now, omariqy said:

We have 5 points from 5 games in the league. That is the important stat right now. I want Bruce to do well and happy when we hired him. This is a big month for him and our club. Get it wrong and it could have massive consequences. 

It is an important statistic, but the more relevant one is the last 3 games.

We are on a decent run of form atm, a few have lost sight of that!

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Agree and lets hope it continues. I was pretty positive before Bruce tried a 541 formation against Bristol City. That shows me the problems still exist. 

• Like 1

Just now, omariqy said:

Agree and lets hope it continues. I was pretty positive before Bruce tried a 541 formation against Bristol City. That shows me the problems still exist. 

The new formation was an experiment to fix a problem, it didnt work and was quickly changed.  If a more popular manager had tried it most would complement him on his quick reactions. Doubt we will see it again.

I think another win and most will have to cede we are playing decently.  

Hopefully then a bit of the extra pressure can be taken off Bruce and the team; Then they can actually start to enjoy playing, instead of fearing repercussions of losing.

It is in all of out interests, whatever any thoughts on Bruce.

13 minutes ago, Nigel said:

The new formation was an experiment to fix a problem, it didnt work and was quickly changed.  If a more popular manager had tried it most would complement him on his quick reactions. Doubt we will see it again.

Hopefully then a bit of the extra pressure can be taken off Bruce and the team; Then they can actually start to enjoy playing, instead of fearing repercussions of losing.

I think we could win the next 10 games with an average score of 5-0 and there'd still be the usual characters hijacking every page begging for him to be sacked.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think we could win the next 10 games with an average score of 5-0 and there'd still be the usual characters hijacking every page begging for him to be sacked.

I think the danger here is.....you have a valid point.

There is a clear distinction between genuinely well thought out criticism and observation.....than just an effort to put him down at every opportunity.

Those that have never rated him or don't like him.....possibly never will....despite their claim that they just want the team to win, which we know they do.

We should put points on the board this month, as we play four home games and two away games against beatable opposition.  Anything less than four wins would be a failure (imo) given the strength of our squad.

I remain sceptical after reading today that Bruce thinks that our one win in five league games is an "average" start to the season, and that apart from half a game against Cardiff we have done "okay".

No more half arsed "management speak" Steve! 

No more negative football!

• Like 2

We, according to the general consensus as well as Steve Bruce himself, are 5 points off where we would like to be - in other words two points per game - and so we are now playing catch-up. Therefore, with 4 of the next 6 league games coming at home, and including 3 teams that are below us in the league table, we need to be aiming for at least 14-15 points from those games. That would get us much closer to where we want to be. Anything less than 12 points and we are falling further behind and also losing points from our home fixtures which is where we seem to get our better results.

The following 6 fixtures after the above are all, bar 1 against Blues away, against teams currently above us. They also contain 4 away fixtures! That set of games will be tougher but, if we want to get to the top of this league, we need to be aiming to take at least 10-12 points from those fixtures.

All-in-all, that's a minimum of 24 points from 36 from the following games:

Brentford H, 'Boro H, Barnsley A, Forest H, Burton A, Bolton H, Wolves A, Fulham H, Blues A, Preston A, Sheff Weds H & QPR A.

I can see us beating Brentford, Bolton, Sheff Weds at home, plus QPR away.. Can see draws against 'Boro, Forest and Fulham at home. I can see us getting draws at Barnsley, Burton, Blues, Preston and us losing away at Wolves. That's a reasonable 19 points from 36 but possibly not good enough given the start to our season. That would also mean only losing 1 in the next 12 games, which seems a lot to ask for given we have already lost 2 out of the first 5 games.

Given the start to our season, personally, I can't see this current Villa team getting as many as those 19 points but would love to be proven wrong.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

You would never guess we were on a 3 game run of 2 wins and a draw (scoring 9 goals in the process) looking at this thread!

As you are cherrypicking, why don't you just leave out the last game and that will make your stats even better. Look, 2 wins, 100% record - don't understand why people are not satisfied.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

It was a formation forced on him by injuries - let's not pretend otherwise.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I can see us beating Brentford, Bolton, Sheff Weds at home, plus QPR away.. Can see draws against 'Boro, Forest and Fulham at home. I can see us getting draws at Barnsley, Burton, Blues, Preston and us losing away at Wolves. That's a reasonable 19 points from 36 but possibly not good enough given the start to our season. That would also mean only losing 1 in the next 12 games, which seems a lot to ask for given we have already lost 2 out of the first 5 games.

Given the start to our season, personally, I can't see this current Villa team getting as many as those 19 points but would love to be proven wrong.

Exactly why we need to be targeting wins and playing attacking, front foot football.  We can't afford four draws.  And exactly why I worry we will do just enough for SB to keep his job, but not enough for where we need to be.

27 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

It was a formation forced on him by injuries - let's not pretend otherwise.

No it wasnt, he changed it midway through the first half, moving Chester across to the right.  

Samba went off injured later at half time!

23 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Exactly why we need to be targeting wins and playing attacking, front foot football.  We can't afford four draws.  And exactly why I worry we will do just enough for SB to keep his job, but not enough for where we need to be.

That's the trouble, IMO.

He now needs to be even better than he needed to be when the season started, and so far he's been worse than that !!?:blink:

That confused me when I wrote it but I think I know what I mean lol.

I dearly hope he achieves that - yes really, who actually wouldn't ? - but for me it's just not remotely feasible.

From here to the end of the season he needs to out perform his own record at this level, his own record since he's been here, his own record this season.

Thats a massive ask even for a great Manager who is really hitting his stride and has all his players firing. And Bruce has/is none of those.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Don't be ridiculous.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

So the last 3 games which include a cup game of no relevance is the more important statistic than the 5 league games we've played so far? could not disagree more.

The aim for this season is promotion, not how far we get get playing our reserves in the league cup!

• Like 3

Â