Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

57 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Because we've spoken so much about wanting Bruce out that we're now convinced he has left and have moved into new manager speculation. Duh!

Not such a bad idea to open a "new manager" thread that the anti-Bruce mob could go and and spend time in, leaving this thread for sensible discussion of our real manager?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

If Bruce is here for the start of next season (and he will be) we will not be getting promoted

I don't know who could bring us promotion but I know that Bruce won't

How do you 'know'? Are you some kind of psychic? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

If Bruce is here for the start of next season (and he will be) we will not be getting promoted

Why? I don't understand the negativity or doubt towards Bruce. He is a very good manager at this level, very similar to Chris Hughton who are both questionable at Premier League level but proven in the Championship. I liked who we signed in January - especially the young talent like Bree/Bedeau. In my opinion, with a pre-season we will only get better under his leadership.

It still feels like Bruce is being judged at Premier League level, this league is totally different. It won't be pretty all the time next season, but I have faith that SB will get us over the line. I predict that he will leave us in a better place than he found us.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Why? I don't understand the negativity or doubt towards Bruce. 

Boredom. It'll get fun again when we dump the dross, sign some good 'uns and gear up for the first game of the season. Until then, nobody at Villa is safe from criticism, NOBODY!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Why? I don't understand the negativity or doubt towards Bruce. He is a very good manager at this level, very similar to Chris Hughton who are both questionable at Premier League level but proven in the Championship. I liked who we signed in January - especially the young talent like Bree/Bedeau. In my opinion, with a pre-season we will only get better under his leadership.

It still feels like Bruce is being judged at Premier League level, this league is totally different. It won't be pretty all the time next season, but I have faith that SB will get us over the line. I predict that he will leave us in a better place than he found us.

I'll start by saying i think Bruce will get us up but and it's a big BUT he's shown nothing in his time here to warrant 100% faith. We are all pinning our hopes on his track record before he came here. If he hadn't so many promotions on his CV he'd be sacked this summer going off of his record here. The football is atrocious. The tactics are scattergun. He seems to only trust youth as a last resort. There are way more negatives about his reign here than there are positives. The only positives for me are he'll have a full preseason and keeping him gives us a bit of stability. If he can thin the squad out that alone will be worth keeping him. Bruce will need to get off to a flyer and not the leave the top 3/4 all season for me but ultimately if we go up on penalties at Wembley he'll have done his job. If Bruce wants to be successful here after promotion he needs to get us playing exciting football. 

• Like 3

Bruce should have been sacked after those 7/8 losses, unforgivably bad run .....not many managers in any league survive a run like that. At least he has "sorted our defence" out though. 

Edited by NottingVilla
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

Bruce should have been sacked after those 7/8 losses, unforgivably bad run .....not many managers in any league survive a run like that. At least he has "sorted our defence" out though. 

It would have been an incredibly emotional and foolish decision, especially as the team went on a great run after that difficult period (a period that included a overhaul mid-season, and our key player missing for a lengthy period of time). 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

I'll start by saying i think Bruce will get us up but and it's a big BUT he's shown nothing in his time here to warrant 100% faith. We are all pinning our hopes on his track record before he came here. If he hadn't so many promotions on his CV he'd be sacked this summer going off of his record here. The football is atrocious. The tactics are scattergun. He seems to only trust youth as a last resort. There are way more negatives about his reign here than there are positives. The only positives for me are he'll have a full preseason and keeping him gives us a bit of stability. If he can thin the squad out that alone will be worth keeping him. Bruce will need to get off to a flyer and not the leave the top 3/4 all season for me but ultimately if we go up on penalties at Wembley he'll have done his job. If Bruce wants to be successful here after promotion he needs to get us playing exciting football. 

I have faith in him achieving promotion, not 100% as there are no certainties in life. His knowledge of the league is an asset, but I actually respect what he has achieved here so far - that gives me the most encouragement. 

He is not infallible, for example I liked who we signed in January but not how he integrated them into the team (that Brentford game still gives me nightmares :huh:). He has flaws, he isn't a great tactician or is going to implement an exciting/attractive football style. But Bruce is what the club needs to move forward, somebody to build the foundations, create a winning mentality and achieve promotion.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I have faith in him achieving promotion, not 100% as there are no certainties in life. His knowledge of the league is an asset, but I actually respect what he has achieved here so far - that gives me the most encouragement. 

He is not infallible, for example I liked who we signed in January but not how he integrated them into the team (that Brentford game still gives me nightmares :huh:). He has flaws, he isn't a great tactician or is going to implement an exciting/attractive football style. But Bruce is what the club needs to move forward, somebody to build the foundations, create a winning mentality and achieve promotion.

But you started your OP by saying you don't understand the negativity or doubt towards Bruce. I was just pointing out there's a few reasons to have both. Yet again it's another biggest summer ever. 

7 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Yet again it's another biggest summer ever. 

It would be a great deal bigger if we had to replace our manager. I'm glad that for once, we can finally spend a full summer to look at filling four first team positions and aside from selling off the dross, there will be no distractions and a settled AVFC manager and squad can get their heads down and prepare for the season ahead. Just my humble opinion but it's complete madness to be wanting all change, yet again, I mean talk about shooting yourself in the foot repeatedly. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

"7/8 losses"?

Which was it? 7 or 8?

2 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

Not many managers would've got so much criticism for the great run we had either. 

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Not such a bad idea to open a "new manager" thread that the anti-Bruce mob could go and and spend time in, leaving this thread for sensible discussion of our real manager?

I'm game for that.

So whilst "Bruce Out-ers" could discuss plan B you could discuss our real manager.

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, VillaCas said:

Lol..... You know that Bruce won't. Can you explain how you know? Are you really Marty Mcfly?

4 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I'm game for that.

So whilst "Bruce Out-ers" could discuss plan B you could discuss our real manager.

Well I did start the Bruce in thread!

10 hours ago, NottingVilla said:

What happened after those games? I think "unforgivable" is such a drama queen reaction to be honest 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sne said:

Sorry, I just can't in any way go along with a Mourinho/Bruce analogy.

It doesn't work for me on any level. They are nothing alike, and neither is their football.

Mourinho is a pragmatic who uses the tools he feels he has to best work against the opponents, defensive or attacking.

The squad we have is in no way suited to the way we play.

I meant Mourinho also seems to have an overly negative mentality which is not always justified by the players that he has. Consider this season alone. He has had some of the best players in the league - exciting, attacking talent. He exiled Mkhitaryan until injuries forced him into playing him and he turned out to be one of their best players. 

My point is that Mourinho also seems to be unable to utilise his creative players to their full effect, similar to Bruce. I would argue that United's hoofing to Ibrahimovic is negating the effect of some of the best attacking talent in the league, similar to us. We've got some of the most creative players in this league but they're just watching the ball sail over their head time and time again.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Wanna bet?

I'll give £50 to Acorns if we don't get promoted next season (under the condition Bruce is here all season)

if you match it if we do get promoted.

If Bruce is sacked or resigned before the end of the season I'll pay up regardless of league finish.

I like this. See if the fortune teller is willing to put his money where his crystal ball is. 

• Like 1

Â