Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Bruce you royally screwed up today. Your tactics were stupid, your subs confusing and dump the 352 shit we have lost every time you have adopted that shit formation.

Pathetic performance from him today

Just now, bobzy said:

Oh, so you think irrelevant of manager we're stuffed?  I disagree.

Should have qualified it as 'under Bruce'. If we sacked Bruce and made a good managerial appointment for once then yes we can probably play a lot better based on the players we have.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Should have qualified it as 'under Bruce'. If we sacked Bruce and made a good managerial appointment for once then yes we can probably play a lot better based on the players we have.

Yeah, that's what I meant.  Even when getting results under Bruce, we weren't playing "good" football.

• Like 1

Individually, all of our starting XI have been part of teams that have played decent football, and got results.

I can't see how we can't do it too.

But sitting back and hoping the other team don't score is not a strategy for success.

• Like 1

I don't consider myself a staunch Bruce supporter or a Bruce Out man. My mind has changed 2-3 times now during his reign. I said a strong end to the season and he deserves to have the summer to really sort things out, he looked like he had turned a corner making us hard to beat, but the season is quickly fizzling out and could end with a whimper. 

At this moment in time I am really in two minds, I hear the arguments about poor football and they should not be ignored. He needs to win the remaining games this season now to win me back. I am not sure he will as it looks like the players are already mentally on the beach.

• Like 1

And as a counter to the 'nothing to play for' argument, look at how Sherwood first season ended.

How we played in our final few 'nothing to play for' games was the rule and the run before that was the exception.

I don't think we can afford to continue playing like this and fluking wins if we're serious about going up next year.

• Like 1

Has rightly been praised past few weeks but has got it wrong today and Saturday. Needs to show a lot more equally some of the players do, if they aren't showing it now with the pressure off they won't be good for us going forward (I.e Gardner). We are still carrying too many players.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm bemused as to why you would change to 3-5-2 with 24 hours between games. Seems like a recipe for disaster & it was.

Thought I'd reply here as the match thread will be closed shorty. 

I understand making changes after such a short turn around, but there was just no logic to that lineup. 

Its like he decided to play what he considers to be his strongest 11 against Reading, then just thrown todays team together with what was left. The fact there was no change to the system/personnel after the sending off was quite staggering. 

Poor poor show from Bruce today. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Thought I'd reply here as the match thread will be closed shorty. 

I understand making changes after such a short turn around, but there was just no logic to that lineup. 

Its like he decided to play what he considers to be his strongest 11 against Reading, then just thrown todays team together with what was left. The fact there was no change to the system/personnel after the sending off was quite staggering. 

Poor poor show from Bruce today. 

I understand the fact we need to make changes, but I really don't see how and why we need to change formation - especially to one which has been less than successful this season.

The problem with playing crap and winning, like we have been in our great run of results, is that there's not much patience when the results aren't there. There are zero positives.

If we were putting together some moves that excite me, I'd wouldn't be too bothered about the odd result slipping away. Obviously once you get into a run of losses, it's no good, but style of play and intent to attack will be treated with enthusiasm by the fans.

Give me a coach who can make this championship dream team string five passes together.

I was very against Bruce on February after that poor run and playing Gabby. 

Recently I've been OK but retrospectively I think the results overshadowed our performances. Do we deserve the recent run of form with how we played? Probably not. 

I don't think we'll get rid of Bruce, purely because he's meant to be the 'expert'. Where else do you turn for promotion? 

The way we play under him though, we'll I don't like it at all. 

I think the formation was made worse by the personal. 

Starting with a midfield 2 of Gardner and Jedinak was far 2 defensive, and meant that the strikers were always going to be isloted. Another issue was the fact that Fulham have speedy wingers, meaning our wingbacks were run ragged and 3 CB were pulled out of postion to cover.  

The whole set up was wrong, and when Kodjia went off it got even worse, because Hogan isn't the sort of bloke that will hold it up and neither Jedinak or Gardner can pass a ball, so we couldn't keep hold of the ball. 

The line up was crap, not changing it after the sending off was just stupid. 

23 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Another poor appointment. 

This is a sentiment that I can't really get my head around.

Our job at the moment is to get promoted. Steve Bruce has been promoted from this league more times than any other manager. He has done so without having to spend hundreds of millions on players each time. His name was bandied around in the press for the England job when Allardyce was appointed. On paper, he was arguably the best man for the job when we appointed him.

A few questions then - did you want Bruce in to begin with? If not why not? And if you were in charge of recruiting a new manager for Villa, what would your criteria be?

• Like 1

Steve Bruce has to do better I'm afraid.

With our players, other managers in this league would be licking their lips.

We are not effective as a team. He's been here for some time now and we still don't have a style. Even if it the style is route one at least make us effective. 

I'm concerned about next season because 2 weeks abroad and 4 weeks across the country will not be enough to implement a style this summer.

I have posed this question before and again in the match thread today.

What identity is Bruce trying to impose on us, he has had 30+ games and been backed by the owner and if anything we are worse. He has failed to get the best out of any of his signings and I cannot believe that he will have us playing any better next season - it will be a re run of this season and we will end up sacking him in October.

• Like 1

Â