Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

17 minutes ago, Eastie said:

imperitive that we get off to a good start !

As we discussed yesterday, this is why (sha aside) i would like to see Steve experiment with a few of the kids over the next few games. Its all about preparing for next year now. 

15 minutes ago, NottingVilla said:

What if he loses all the remaining game this season? He could get the sack then, we may still get lucky here. Some tough fixtures after tomorrows beating.

I still think he'll get to start next season with the team. He needs to stop coming out with this " we don't keep the ball well enough " That's blatantly obvious.  He needs to start adressing it rather than talking bout it tho. The man talks well I'll give him that much. If we don't pass it well, make stupid mistakes it's as much a reflection of the manager in charge.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, av1 said:

As we discussed yesterday, this is why (sha aside) i would like to see Steve experiment with a few of the kids over the next few games. Its all about preparing for next year now. 

Yeah I'm surprised he hasn't .. would have made losing to Reading more palatable had we given four or five kids a run out 

4 hours ago, av1 said:

I think the opposite. For me, he needs to show the sort of performances that will convince doubtful people like me that he can take us up next season, using his best and settled team.

And I have a feeling he may also have to convince Xia.

There is still a lot to play for this season in my eyes because we have to finish in the top 10. We have to.

His words, which i imagine would have been hinted at from above him.

I think he could fail this one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There is still a lot to play for this season in my eyes because we have to finish in the top 10. We have to.

His words, which i imagine would have been hinted at from above him.

I think he could fail this one.

Yes, in many ways, based on the players we have and the money we have spent, a bottom half finish it totally unacceptable. However at this stage I struggle to really care, 'fighting' for a top 10 Championship finish is all too depressing for me.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Hope not. That might mask a problem.

Pre season - that's different.

but surely he needs to see them in this league, playing under the pressure this league brings.

Its all very well doing fancy work on the training ground or matches with 1500 in attendance.....they need to be seen with 30,000 in the ground and see how they cope with it.

I do actually agree with an earlier poster, who said they must win the right to play.....that too i can see the merits of.......but the way we are going we will never see if they have the right credentials and it could save us some money.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

AV I understand what you are saying, but I am not suggesting we have to wait for promotion that long.I am merely suggesting the players we see now will be changed Imo, for various reasons.

what has prompted me to say this was when I was talking directly to Graham Taylor many moons ago.....He explained, that when a club has gone through a long protracted spell of demise, it takes a lot to get it back and you cannot go from one point to another in one fell swoop, he was rolling his fingers in explanation and said it has to be a gradual process of progression.

Said the very man who got us up straight away.

• Like 1

Talk of fixes to the squad? This squad is more than good enough, if we can hold it together and offload some of those surplus we should be going up, the squad is no longer a problem requiring money to be thrown at it. 

13 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Said the very man who got us up straight away.

GH You are correct, but if my memory serves me correctly.....there was no transfer window in those days, so you could just buy when you felt the need or when the opportunity arose....it has a big difference to the time element on repair.....these windows favour the big boys, who's squads are already complete in the main.

His style never suited everyone GH .....I though he was great....great man too.

However, thats what the man said to me.

51 minutes ago, Dale said:

Talk of fixes to the squad? This squad is more than good enough, if we can hold it together and offload some of those surplus we should be going up, the squad is no longer a problem requiring money to be thrown at it. 

I don't think a major overhaul is required, but I still see imbalance.....I would still like to see a winger who causes problems for the opposition.....will o' the wisp type.

I think it needs further strengthening here and there, but not major surgery.

I also think we need to see the current squad improving and gelling better, in time for next season......particularly moving  off the ball and taking better care of the ball which Steve himself has "banged the drum" for.

One window was always a big ask.

Edited by TRO

Tomorrow will be interesting to gauge where we are at..we won't play well, we haven't played under Bruce even the wins were a hard watch. His football is more about containment first then strike if we can. Still think the best we played all season was the first 45 against forest at villa park.

For me, tomorrow is our first pre-season game for next season. We need to figure out who is up for the fight next season, and who needs shifting on. 

I think Bruce has a good idea of what he is looking for this summer, which is reassuring because I've not felt that with previous managers. 

Bruce has shown in patches that he can be he man to take us back up next season, that said he does need to hit the ground running. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

For me, tomorrow is our first pre-season game for next season. We need to figure out who is up for the fight next season, and who needs shifting on. 

I think Bruce has a good idea of what he is looking for this summer, which is reassuring because I've not felt that with previous managers. 

Bruce has shown in patches that he can be he man to take us back up next season, that said he does need to hit the ground running. 

Thats the crucial bit I think he will be looking for.

13 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Thought performance, team selection etc was really poor. I'm not for sacking him, but you have to question selecting amavi in defence and not bringing Grealish  and hogan on earlier

There wasn't too many options ahead of amavi to replace the injured Taylor.

as for Grealish. He hasn't shown what we believe he can deliver much this season and I don't hold out much hope he will either.

hogan could do with more time on the pitch next to kodjia though 

• Like 2

Â