Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

My guess would be:

Villatalk - 98% keep, 2% change manager.

General Villa fans - 99.9% keep, 0.1% change manager. 

Unless you measured it by amount of words written on Villatalk by each side. That would be more like Bruce's possession stats - 35% Bruce to stay/65% Bruce out.

That 2% have a lot of time and a lot of energy judging by the amount they write.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Unless you measured it by amount of words written on Villatalk by each side. That would be more like Bruce's possession stats - 35% Bruce to stay/65% Bruce out.

That 2% have a lot of time and a lot of energy judging by the amount they write.

or those 2% are more convinced they are right

• Like 1

Now it's a convinced off? How do I prove how convinced I am? Is there a convinceometer online somewhere?

Bruce out is a non-argument now surely. After the Newcastle game I'd had enough but now he got us on the weird play shit and win nearly every game run and his points return alone in this league will be enough to guarantee him a go at it next season. Do I think he's the best manager in the world? No, but he doesn't need to be he just needs to repeat the trick he's managed 4 times already and get a club out of this division. If that means a play shit and win nearly every week run that lasts for all of next season then bring it on. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

or those 2% are more convinced they are right

Or the 2% aren't sure themselves so have to shout the loudest to try and convince  not just everybody else, but themselves too.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Or the 2% aren't sure themselves so have to shout the loudest to try and convince  not just everybody else, but themselves too.

But your sure ? Let's get that right .convince you of what exactly ? Your opinion is of no importance to me . But one thing I am sure of and have been all along  is that the football on offer under this manager is nothing short of abysmal , and this notion of people wanting him to fail is ridiculous, that's just a way of people using their doubts to turn it into an accusation , I  mean what self - respecting Villa fan would be happy to see them fail ? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree with most of that......where I think i have my doubts is......Managers set the team up with what talent they have and what money they have at their disposal, that brings results.....you are right in the sense that judging by history, it is likely that the style will continue, because the talent we can attract may not lend itself to Expansive football or a model of it.

However, If Steve Bruce, Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis was fortunate enough to secure a job managing any of the top 6......The style of football maybe entirely different.....because they would have the players to play it.

It is very difficult for a manager to break out of that mould, they can easily get typecast......sometimes "necessity is the mother of invention"

I have no pre conceived idea's of what Steve Bruce will do, when we get promoted......but that is not saying you are wrong, its just my opinion.

History, says you are right, but I prefer to think circumstances have dictated that history.

All players can pass and move ,it's basic . I don't see Eddie Howe or Japp Stam playing hoof ball . Why buy players like Lansbury and Hourihane, only to bypass them ?

I bet privately they've pulling their hair out .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Now it's a convinced off? How do I prove how convinced I am? Is there a convinceometer online somewhere?

Bruce out is a non-argument now surely. After the Newcastle game I'd had enough but now he got us on the weird play shit and win nearly every game run and his points return alone in this league will be enough to guarantee him a go at it next season. Do I think he's the best manager in the world? No, but he doesn't need to be he just needs to repeat the trick he's managed 4 times already and get a club out of this division. If that means a play shit and win nearly every week run that lasts for all of next season then bring it on. 

The convince-o-meter (which you zpelt wong) is right here on VT

Leading candidates? the ones who quote me

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree with most of that......where I think i have my doubts is......Managers set the team up with what talent they have and what money they have at their disposal, that brings results.....you are right in the sense that judging by history, it is likely that the style will continue, because the talent we can attract may not lend itself to Expansive football or a model of it.

However, If Steve Bruce, Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis was fortunate enough to secure a job managing any of the top 6......The style of football maybe entirely different.....because they would have the players to play it.

It is very difficult for a manager to break out of that mould, they can easily get typecast......sometimes "necessity is the mother of invention"

I have no pre conceived idea's of what Steve Bruce will do, when we get promoted......but that is not saying you are wrong, its just my opinion.

History, says you are right, but I prefer to think circumstances have dictated that history.

Pulis signed more creative players at Stoke like Tuncay, Gudjohnson and Palacios but quickly gave up on them once they couldn't fit into his very rigid system.

I think the best example would be David Moyes. Generally excellent results at Everton but they were a functional team rather than having huge amounts of flair. He goes to Man. United and the calibre of players being Rooney and RVP as opposed to Jermaine Beckford....and he plays in exactly the same way.

I would love to think we're going to play brilliant attacking football in the prem with regular 70% possession under Steve Bruce but it just won't happen no matter what he spends.

Be interesting to ask a Hull fan if they enjoyed the Bruce years more or what they're currently threatening to do under Marco Silva.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Be interesting to ask a Hull fan if they enjoyed the Bruce years more or what they're currently threatening to do under Marco Silva.

I play football with a Hull fan and he loves Bruce, as soon as we signed him he said we'd be going up either this season or next. Said the football can be crap at times but he'll get results even if you're not really sure how he keeps getting results, he also said Alex Bruce is a decent enough defender when we inevitably sign him 

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

All players can pass and move ,it's basic . I don't see Eddie Howe or Japp Stam playing hoof ball . Why buy players like Lansbury and Hourihane, only to bypass them ?

I bet privately they've pulling their hair out .

I don't think we are playing hoofball.....it may not be eye candy, but its not hoofball.

......has Eddie Howe 4 championship promotions on his CV......Jaap Stam couldn't stop us beating them at home......not exactly nailed on testimonials to your argument.

I beg to differ, about them pulling their hair out....if that was the case it would seep out......no secrets in this world.

pass and move is basic......but as a player, you can't be in control of a colleague....you may move and you may pass.....but he don't, you look an ass.....He is still working on it.

ps The only time mutiny is a danger.....is when you are consistently losing....He has stopped that.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Pulis signed more creative players at Stoke like Tuncay, Gudjohnson and Palacios but quickly gave up on them once they couldn't fit into his very rigid system.

I think the best example would be David Moyes. Generally excellent results at Everton but they were a functional team rather than having huge amounts of flair. He goes to Man. United and the calibre of players being Rooney and RVP as opposed to Jermaine Beckford....and he plays in exactly the same way.

I would love to think we're going to play brilliant attacking football in the prem with regular 70% possession under Steve Bruce but it just won't happen no matter what he spends.

Chris, I take your point I really do......but the more you are explaining it.....I am more convinced, not less that Steve is an asset for us.

Ron Saunders was always teased with his philosophy about 110 % work rate.....similar derogatory remarks was made towards his style too.

I was happy in total with Ron's Football.....so I will stay with Steves too, but bare in mind he had been with us months and I would suspect the spectacle will get better.

out and out expansive football, you are probably right, he will never do that and Sir Ron wouldn't either.

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

But your sure ? Let's get that right .convince you of what exactly ? Your opinion is of no importance to me . But one thing I am sure of and have been all along  is that the football on offer under this manager is nothing short of abysmal , and this notion of people wanting him to fail is ridiculous, that's just a way of people using their doubts to turn it into an accusation , I  mean what self - respecting Villa fan would be happy to see them fail ? 

To set about proving their  argument right.

The take up of season tickets recently does not mirror your argument that football on display is abysmal unless the fanbase is suseptible to pain and grief.

or the fans see this a progressive state as opposed to the finished article and suspect it will get better.

I wonder which?

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think we are playing hoofball.....it may not be eye candy, but its not

has Eddie Howe 4 championship promotions on his CV......Jaap Stam couldn't stop us beating them at home......not exactly nailed on testimonials to your argument.

I beg to differ, about them pulling their hair out....if that was the case it would seep out......no secrets in this world.

pass and move is basic......but as a player, you can't be in control of a colleague....you may move and you may pass.....but he don't, you look an ass.....He is still working on it.

ps The only time mutiny is a danger.....is when you are consistently losing....He has stopped that.

I think you'll find Reading are above us in the league , Eddie Howe doesn't have 4 championship promotions on his cv ? He's took a team like Bournemouth into the premier and kept them there for 2 seasons ,playing a decent brand of football ,hence him being touted as a possible candidate for the Arsenal job . My point was ,there are no excuses for the dire football that's on offer .

Give credit where it's due .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

To set about proving their  argument right.

The take up of season tickets recently does not mirror your argument that football on display is abysmal unless the fanbase is suseptible to pain and grief.

or the fans see this a progressive state as opposed to the finished article and suspect it will get better.

I wonder which?

Give it a name .

20 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think you'll find Reading are above us in the league , Eddie Howe doesn't have 4 championship promotions on his cv ? He's took a team like Bournemouth into the premier and kept them there for 2 seasons ,playing a decent brand of football ,hence him being touted as a possible candidate for the Arsenal job . My point was ,there are no excuses for the dire football that's on offer .

Give credit where it's due .

what did Eddie Howe do before Bournemouth?.....its all a selective argument, Sheepy.

He finished 8th in his first season with Burnley and in his 2nd finished 13th.

The present spectacle is a result of where we are in the rebuild.....its not finished.

do you not get that? Or do you refuse to accept the rationale?

did you think one window and a few weeks was going to produce an all encompassing team that ticked all the boxes and sent the fanbase home in ecstasy.

slowly, slowly catch a monkey.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

what did Eddie Howe do before Bournemouth?.....its all a selective argument, Sheepy.

The present spectacle is a result of where we are in the rebuild.....its not finished.

do you not get that? Or do you refuse to accept the rationale.

did you think one window and a few weeks was going to produce an all encompassing team that ticked all the boxes and sent the fanbase home in ecstasy.

slowly, slowly catch a monkey.

What did Eddie Howe do before Bournemouth?  What kind of question is That ? There is no reason why we can't play a better brand of football, its not asking much . The fact is , Steve Bruce teams don't play that way ,and well you know it . Just because a teams rebuilding, that doesn't negate good football ,or at least some semblance of it

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What did Eddie Howe do before Bournemouth?  What kind of question is That ? There is no reason why we can't play a better brand of football, its not asking much . The fact is , Steve Bruce teams don't play that way ,and well you know it . Just because a teams rebuilding, that doesn't negate good football ,or at least some semblance of it

The best 'brand' of football is winning football. The recent run of wins we had is fact, to say it's unsustainable is opinion. 

Im sure if Hull had finished 9th and their best ever season in the prem (like wigan under Bruce) then they would prefer that to any manager they've ever had. It's a results based business and so long as we win I don't give a shit. Every fan will tell you the same (look at arsenal fans now, I'm sure they would be delighted to grind out a series of shit 1-0 wins). 

Now, end of fact and back to your opinions of how Bruce won't succeed to keep this vicious cycle circling.

• Like 1

Â