Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Source?

To be honest I can't be bothered to track down the quotes - my point was that I expected Bruce with his experience to be able to get the best out of Ayew, McCormack and Amavi and he's done the complete opposite. He now seems to be having a similar effect on Hourihane, Hogan and Lansbury

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Can I see us being in the Premier League in 18 months with Bruce in charge despite our form?  Yes, it's fairly likely

On what basis is it fairly likely???????

i would think there is a greater chance of relegation!!!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

We need to win games for confidence and this means particularly in home games playing on the front foot and attacking teams - Barnsley will strongly fancy their chances of beating us .

for me the 352 system depends on having jedinak in the team - as he is not fit it's no good shoehorning players into that position .

play a passing game and play to the strengths of the likes of Lansbury and hourihane - otherwise what was the point of signing them if your going to ask them to play a different role .

I don't think Bruce is listening.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mantis said:

I think that's an indicator of the mental issues surrounding the club. I'm not at all defending Bruce, but I don't think it's a coincidence that players often do better elsewhere.

Put it this way, if McCormack, Robinson and Clark were in the team right now you can bet they wouldn't be putting in very good performances.

23 hours ago, TRO said:

I totally agree.

burning question......what is causing this mental issue?

I don't think there are mental issues. It is just down to the manager. The job is too big for him and the other recent managers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I've been posting here just over 12 months and been right about Bruce, RDM, Xia, Garde, Elphick, Ayew, Grealish, Gil, Gueye, Clark, Traore, Gollini, Jedinak, Chester, Baker.

All against popular opinion.

That's just off the top of my head and I could add more.

Ok, so have actually just sat down and though about this.

theres some names id like clarification on because I'm not sure what you've said to be right.

but, in no particular order, 

Gil: there is no proof either way wether you are correct or not... It's all conjecture. My argument with you from the start was that he couldn't do it in the English league. So, actually, IM RIGHT because he hasn't. With numerous different managers and styles. 

Bruce: he's had half a season, in which he's rebuilt a squad, and you're right that's he's destined to fail? And take us lower? Aren't we about where we were when he took over? So, how are you right? This is inconclusive. Most people said, based on his 4 previous promotions, he had the credentials. So, they were correct. He does. At the moment, those people (myself included) were more correct than you because 4 promotions is fact.

rdm: I actually think ALOT of people had reservations about him and his record. You are correct here, but I think it was a fairly popular opinion on here and people were just feeling generally more positive because of the takeover. So, your fairly popular view, was correct.

garde: read RDM.

grealish. I'm unsure what you said, but how anything can be conclusive about him and someone consider themselves 'correct' is beyond me. He's still a kid learning the game! 

Fancy helping me out with some of the others and how you were correct? Especially xia, love to know how your unpopular view was correct here!

sorry mods for taking this off topic.

19 hours ago, Mantis said:

That's a good point although it could also be the case that as a club we "break" managers and destroy their reputations.

I'm sorry, Mantis, but I don't believe that that makes sense. I think the managers are either hogtied by lack of funds or just are not good enough.

30 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I don't think there are mental issues. It is just down to the manager. The job is too big for him and the other recent managers.

There clearly are though. The manager is a factor of course but I don't think it's one or the other.

I don't think the mental issues are with this particular group of players per se but I do think we've been weak and in decline for so long that it "infects" new players. We've been one of the most mentally weak and fragile teams in the football league for years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Michael 118, what exactly do you think we should do to in order to get back in the Premier League. I'm not having a go, just intrigued as to how you would change things? 

Start kozak up front!!!! :wacko:

1 hour ago, VillaCas said:

To be honest I can't be bothered to track down the quotes - my point was that I expected Bruce with his experience to be able to get the best out of Ayew, McCormack and Amavi and he's done the complete opposite. He now seems to be having a similar effect on Hourihane, Hogan and Lansbury

That wasn't what you said but OK.

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Errr, no, not with close to 100 million spent. What are Barnsley worth.............about a mllion quid

I remember being laughed at when I said 55mill wasnt enough for the beginning of the season.

We must buy a new GK, still have no cover at CB & DM, we needed another winger and striker.

What happens when one or more of Baker, Chester or Kodjia gets injured?

We'll have a shit GK, 1 Shit CB, No DM (Jedi out for a further 3/4 games) and 1 Striker who cant play to hoofball.

We needed in excess of 100mill

6 hours ago, lexicon said:

We desperately need stability at the club. I think we've got the right players and right manager in order to get promotion but don't be fooled, it takes time. 

this is the same attitude that Bruce has when he does his team talk

"We desperately need stability in the team.
I think we've got the right players and right formation in order to get results but don't be fooled, we need to hoof it"

6 hours ago, Michael118 said:

I've been posting Bullshit here just over 12 months and been Wrong about everything, Bruce, RDM, Xia, Garde, Elphick, Ayew, Grealish, Gil, Gueye, Clark, Traore, Gollini, Jedinak, Chester, Baker, so far.

All my own opinion.

I'm off my head and I couldnt be any more wrong.

Corrected 4 ya

Yo' Shyi-it no cred go down wit da Grasshopper

Homey, quit yo scribes

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Farlz said:

I don't know what to think. I wouldn't care if he's sacked tomorrow but then the other half of me thinks constantly sacking managers hasn't got us anywhere and It would result it yet another big change in backroom staff, I'd like some stability for once.

Basically this whole thing is shit. 

Constantly keeping managers hasnt got us anywhere either

4 hours ago, Eastie said:

Don't see this as being the time to attract a manager anyway so might as well give hIm to the summer and assess the situation then when there is better chance of tempting a new manager should we go down that route.

The problem there is how will we know what damage has been caused till the end of the season?

What if Chester, Amavi, Lansbury, Hourihane, Adomah, Kodjia & Hogan all think "F**** this, I'm out!"?

More losses on transfers as prices for replacements goes up & up

5 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Constantly keeping managers hasnt got us anywhere either

it might if we got the right one.  If I hired 2 managers that couldn't do the job (that's Xia's experience) it would hardly be time to just let the most recent bad decision stay in place and do more damage....

I personally think that Dr Tony made his first mistake last week, when he basically said that this season is now about gelling the players and working towards another push next season - or whatever it was he actually said.

I believe that he probably did that to take pressure off Bruce but he may have done him more harm than good because the players may have read that to be "don't worry if you don't make it this season guys, we understand you need time to work at things" and then thought "well it's gonna be tough now so might as well take it easy, stay fit and go again in August". 

I'd have preferred if he did have a word in quiet with Bruce but then tell him he doesn't want the players to know because he wants to see what they're like under pressure. 

Who knows how it all happened? I'm clutching at straws a bit in order to try to understand what the hell is going on right now because just when you thought thing could only get better - they have gotten worse! 

• Like 1

Fine dividing lines - we were the better team against forest and Ipswich and should have won  both both apart from poor finishing and silly errors - had we done so then this thread would not be so active - once the players are on the pitch Bruce has to stand or fall by their mistakes - who'd want to be a manager .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 3

Yeah, back to back wins would have been great, and add Preston to that too, thing is though we need to do it for 90 minutes and the fact that somehow we contrive to lose these games, that they don't finish 0-0, is a big problem. If you can't win it don't lose it. In the first run of decent results we were not playing nice football but we weren't getting beat every week.

Â