Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

He's got until the end of the season. If we don't improve by then then he has to go. I don't want to hang on to a manager, just because he has done well in the past, he has to be judged on what he does here.

• Like 3

Listening to that Steve Round interview (Steve Round thread) - it wouldn't totally surprise me if Colin Calderwood wasn't Steve Bruces first choice assistant manager. Brighton away was our best performance - we haven't hit the heights after that. - and thats the precise moment calderwood came in.

I think Bruce will survive until next season - Calderwood I'm not so sure.  

With my coaching hat on...I think it's just a formation change...too many games this season we have lacked support up front and been over run at the back...why....three in midfield...every team we have played have had to in the middle...they stretch us across the pitch and don't allow us to play through...because we end up so deep the defence have to go long ball to an isolated kodjia...play this in middle and I bet we would look better defensively and have more bods in attack 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Get Micky P in and fast.  Need him popping a few balloons on the bench and keeping old Brucey on his toes!

So basically what we've done is the equivalent of appointing Pearson without Walsh, or Clough without Taylor, etc.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don’t know mate. I said earlier in this thread that I am not sure what the plan was going forward last night. The only time we looked a threat was when we played it out wide and got down the channels but we didn’t do it often enough to suggest that was the game plan.

What I think we do need to remember here is that was the first time that midfield had played together. I can’t believe for a minute that we played as Bruce had instructed us. The plan if there was one seemed to be to get Kodjia in behind through the middle between their centre backs but Brentford soon sniffed that threat out.

Focusing just on Kodjia I don’t think he should be played through the middle. I think he is better coming in from out wide and I think he prefers it out there. He is clueless up top through the middle especially if you don’t get players right up alongside him. I think we may well see him wide left on Saturday and Hogan through the middle and if that is what Bruce goes with he has to believe in it and stick with it.

That team looked exactly like how Bruce sets us up. Lansbury and Hourihane slipped right into the same routine of how we play away from home under him.

I'm not calling for his head at all but I do think he needs to start taking a look at himself a bit more. Far too much chopping and changing, poor substitutions and very little obvious pattern of play. Once they figured us out that result was only going one way. 

Plan A doesn't work and plan B doesn't exist.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jon_c said:

So basically what we've done is the equivalent of appointing Pearson without Walsh, or Clough without Taylor, etc.

Bruce has managed 20 years - I think phelan only worked wiTh him at hull - no surprise fingers being pointed at calderwood though as Brighton have got better without him and we've looked awful since he came.

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

We have a manager who has been promoted from the Championship 4 times.

We have signed all of the Championship's best strikers.

We have a premier league CB as captain.

We signed Forrest's captain, Barnsley's talisman and an Icelandic dude who tore up the Euros.

WHY ARE WE STILL AWFUL I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYMORE!!!!!

Because we can't defend...........as a team.

the defence is the last line.....we just get opened up through the middle.

we just stand off.

I'm still so **** angry and its pathetic having football make me feel this way.

Steve Bruce is already now into the "I dont just think he's an incompetent, I really really dont like him" category. And that's being kind.

I've always maintained that I dont care how we play, as long as I can see what we're trying to do, what the plan is, the end game. Not only do I not see this under this clown, it's getting worse, week by week.

Edited by R.Bear

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Bruce has managed 20 years - I think phelan only worked wiTh him at hull - no surprise fingers being pointed at calderwood though as Brighton have got better without him and we've looked awful since he came.

But the sucess at Hull us what keeps getting reference as Bruce actually being good. 

I have seen the traits I seen with previous managers and previous players.

I think it's inconceivable to think that c 5 managers are bereft of tactical nous.

There is a fundamental problem, I think I know what it is, but have no idea how to cure it.

I suspect it's a BMH problem.

I think we need to pick the team by what they do( their roles) and then select the names to do it.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have seen the traits I seen with previous managers and previous players.

I think it's inconceivable to think that c 5 managers are bereft of tactical nous.

There is a fundamental problem, I think I know what it is, but have no idea how to cure it.

I suspect it's a BMH problem.

I think we need to pick the team by what they do( their roles) and then select the names to do it.

Coaching staff need to take a look at themselves too - calderwood and Walsh have arrived and performances rapidly deteriorated - need to be some bollockings amongst staff and players .

28 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I'm not calling for his head at all but I do think he needs to start taking a look at himself a bit more. Far too much chopping and changing, poor substitutions and very little obvious pattern of play. Once they figured us out that result was only going one way. 

Plan A doesn't work and plan B doesn't exist.

The chopping and changing does have to stop but I think it is understandable that there has been so much. He inherited an unbalanced squad and had no preseason to find his best 11 and get them playing the formation he wanted them to. He has had to get to try and find it whilst playing competitive games.

We have now just seen 8 new players come in and 6 leave. I’d like to think that Bruce having made those changes knows how he is going to fit it together and what his best team will be and knows the formation he wants to play. He then has to believe in that and stick with it otherwise we are never going to get any cohesion if we keep making 3 or 4 changes a game. What we have at the moment is an on paper good squad of players but what we don't have is a team.

Whilst performances such as last night are totally unacceptable we as a fan base though will have to accept a new team won’t click overnight and it is going to take time. The last thing we need to be doing is jumping on another group of players backs.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The chopping and changing does have to stop but I think it is understandable that there has been so much. He inherited an unbalanced squad and had no preseason to find his best 11 and get them playing the formation he wanted them to. He has had to get to try and find it whilst playing competitive games.

We have now just seen 8 new players come in and 6 leave. I’d like to think that Bruce having made those changes knows how he is going to fit it together and what his best team will be and knows the formation he wants to play. He then has to believe in that and stick with it otherwise we are never going to get any cohesion if we keep making 3 or 4 changes a game. What we have at the moment is an on paper good squad of players but what we don't have is a team.

Whilst performances such as last night are totally unacceptable we as a fan base though will have to accept a new team won’t click overnight and it is going to take time. The last thing we need to be doing is jumping on another group of players backs.

This is my point though Mark. They did click last night. They clicked exactly into the style of play synonymous with Steve Bruce away from home.

That performance was more to do with poor tactics than new players IMO.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Lol Brighton have got better?! Brighton have been good all season and for the last 3 years or so, bar literally two goals last season they would've been in the premier league already. 

No chance of the play-offs barring a bona fide miracle. These are Bruce's players now and we need to see some marked improvement between now and the end of the season. We can't make top 6 but top ten is a minimum 

So far I'm not 100% convinced that the new signings have dramatically improved us - My forest supporting mate says Lansbury performs 1 in 4 and is a bit of a goon the rest of the time, Bjarnason looked awful and doesn't look like a starter. Bree may have some learning to do. All the pressure is on Hogan and Hourihane to transform the team. Bruce is held up as a top man-manager so it's strange that he can't get performances from Ayew and McCormack, two highly talented footballers (and yet he persists with Gabby who is still struggling)

He needs to show improvement to the end of the season for me if he wants to continue 

Ugh, thinking about watching this dinosaur play shit football for the rest of the season gives me inner rage. Id happily see him replaced by a young manager that understands the modern game and actually encourages his players to hold onto the ball and try string a few passes together and take the game to the opposition. Even the commentator said last night that teams that have gone to Brentford and had a go at them have won comfortably whereas teams that have sat back and tried to counter have struggled. 

3 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

Ugh, thinking about watching this dinosaur play shit football for the rest of the season gives me inner rage. Id happily see him replaced by a young manager that understands the modern game and actually encourages his players to hold onto the ball and try string a few passes together and take the game to the opposition. 

Roberto di Matteo, was that. It's easy to say "well, someone else" but who knows if he'd be any better. 

Â