Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

30 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

The guy next to me tonight kept moaning on about Bruce should be sacked, he'd lost the dressing room.....my biggest gripe tonight was that he didn't change it early enough.

Massive game for him on Saturday

I can't say I noticed him change anything at any point. Sure, he swapped a couple of ineffective players for other ineffective players but from my vantage point (two rows behind where SB was patrolling the technical area) I didn't see him have any influence over our players. The only exception would be the quick chat he had with Amavi which coincided with Amavi starting to play poorly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skarroki said:

First it was better than di Matteo

Then the excuse was we're winning even when playing badly, sign of a good team

Then we stopped winning and it was take your pick of midfielder to blame the entire team's performance and the tactics on.

Then we were buying new midfielders to replace the ones that were complained about. We've replaced every position on the pitch who the fans have generally agreed need replacing. 

We're losing every week with only a rare sniff at goal and it's the tactics that are wrong. I don't want Bruce to leave, I want him to wake up and realise his part in us not living up to expectations. Stop telling us how terrible the performances are, we're being put through them.

Makes it all the worse when so many of us were hoping this would be the game we'd see a huge change. 

Please please change tactics and salvage this

What tactics would you like to see?

10 minutes ago, striker said:

For me it isn't the players. It also isn't some phychological curse or the amount of change either responsible for recent performances. It is the manager's tactics.

Why buy three midfielders with the ability to pass, move and score goals then bypass those midfielders by trying to hit the opposition on the break with high balls to a forward who isn't a target man?

If the Brentford manager had just spent umpteen millions on Villa's midfield and had Kodjia as his main attacking outlet he would have played exactly the same way he played tonight. Pass and move football to suit the players under him.

Bruce has however consistently used counter attack tactics away from home which didn't suit the previous midfield quartet or the new players tonight. By constantly sitting back he has continually handed the initiative to opposition who in the main would have been wary of playing Villa.

In each game I have watched Villa under Bruce the opposition's confidence has been allowed to grow to the point where they start to dominate games. Even in the cup game against a second string Spurs team Villa rarely threatened which I thought was a disgrace.

In the Championship where the standard of teams have been poor imo Villa should be trying to dominate games from the off (like Newcastle) rather than sitting back and allowing teams to get a foothold.

In his post match interview Bruce stated that there was still much work to do on the training pitch with the players. It would be much more beneficial to AVFC if Bruce and Calderwood sat alone in Bruce's office wiping the tactical board clear of archaic tactics and actually choosing a system to allow the players to express themselves in the way they did for their previous clubs.

Can't argue with any of that.

Also it is his squad now, he has been backed by the owner so he has to deliver.

2 hours ago, villan_007 said:

The first ten minutes if we put one of those chances away the game is ours. Its the going behind that seems to kill us. 

Its not just the going behind, or going in front.

its the failure to control the football and dominate their opponent.....they flounder and get caught with it and usually lose it, culminating chasing the game.

Dean Smith said we pressed them and gained control.....they all press us and gain control....we are just too easily beaten.

When SB first came in, he stopped this and we have drifted back again.

He has to work on us being miserly again.

despite the derisory comments of Jedinak,  we are missing a DM.....the 3 new boys are not DM's

but you cannot attack if you haven't got the ball.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, striker said:

For me it isn't the players. It also isn't some phychological curse or the amount of change either responsible for recent performances. It is the manager's tactics.

Why buy three midfielders with the ability to pass, move and score goals then bypass those midfielders by trying to hit the opposition on the break with high balls to a forward who isn't a target man?

If the Brentford manager had just spent umpteen millions on Villa's midfield and had Kodjia as his main attacking outlet he would have played exactly the same way he played tonight. Pass and move football to suit the players under him.

Bruce has however consistently used counter attack tactics away from home which didn't suit the previous midfield quartet or the new players tonight. By constantly sitting back he has continually handed the initiative to opposition who in the main would have been wary of playing Villa.

In each game I have watched Villa under Bruce the opposition's confidence has been allowed to grow to the point where they start to dominate games. Even in the cup game against a second string Spurs team Villa rarely threatened which I thought was a disgrace.

In the Championship where the standard of teams have been poor imo Villa should be trying to dominate games from the off (like Newcastle) rather than sitting back and allowing teams to get a foothold.

In his post match interview Bruce stated that there was still much work to do on the training pitch with the players. It would be much more beneficial to AVFC if Bruce and Calderwood sat alone in Bruce's office wiping the tactical board clear of archaic tactics and actually choosing a system to allow the players to express themselves in the way they did for their previous clubs.

Nobody has called it a "psychological curse" in fairness. And although the manager's tactics clearly are a factor, it's also the case that we see the same shit regardless of who the manager is.

41 minutes ago, striker said:

I am not making excuses for SB....but are you sure he wanted them to hoof the ball up to the striker.

He seemed clearly rocked by what he was viewing, so I am unsure that they were playing to instructions.

for me, they just lost the grip of the game and resorted to clearing the " thing" to where ever they could to relieve pressure......they just handled the pressure, Brentford exerted on them badly....they lost composure on the ball and it all went like a pack of dominoes.

We are failing to implement the very basic's of the game.....we are still poor without the ball and then that poor play is manifesting itself when we have it.

bringing in new players and new managers is pointless with this.....The manager has to fix a fundamental problem.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Need to revert to a back three imo. Our defence is just not good enough and our keeper is awful. 

---------------------Johnstone (Just)---------------

------------Chester----Elphick-----Baker---------

Bree-------------------------------------------Taylor

----------Hourihane-----------Jedinak------------

-----------------------Grealish----------------------

--------------Hogan-------------Kodjia-------------

For the weekend as Lansbury is out i believe? Relieve Grealish off tracking back.. put him behind the front two. Kodjia was too isolated.. Hogan up top with him. 

Below is a side with nobody from last seasons squad. May be worth a shout just to not have that excuse. 

Bree--------Chester-------Elphick---------Taylor

-----------------------Lansbury----------------------

-Adomah------------Hogan-------------Kodjia

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KSV said:

Need to revert to a back three imo. Our defence is just not good enough and our keeper is awful. 

------------Chester----Elphick-----Baker---------

Bree-------------------------------------------Taylor

-----------------------Grealish----------------------

--------------Hogan-------------Kodjia-------------

For the weekend as Lansbury is out i believe? Relieve Grealish off tracking back.. put him behind the front two. Kodjia was too isolated.. Hogan up top with him. 

Below is a side with nobody from last seasons squad. May be worth a shout just to not have that excuse. 

Bree--------Chester-------Elphick---------Taylor

-----------------------Lansbury----------------------

-Adomah------------Hogan-------------Kodjia

Really like that first formation.

I don't know if it's Bruce or not, I was annoyed last night and wanted him gone, but his post match interviews always make me think "we'll hold on, if you can see what we are all seeing, then why isn't it being fixed?" 

Maybe I was being too harsh and reactions last night and he obviously needs time with his new players and work out a system.

3 hours ago, striker said:

This post is so good I can't like it enough

42 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Was thinking a 352 might work. Maybe Bree in the 3 with Baker and Chester. I think we have to play at least 4 in the middle and 2 up front

Hadnt thought of Bree in the 3. He has played a bit of CB this season. However.. Hutton stays on the right or do you put a more attacking player like Adomah who would track back a little? 2 uptop is a must. When Gabby is our best player at holding up the ball.. you know we cant play with the 1 upfront. 

4 hours ago, choffer said:

I can't say I noticed him change anything at any point. Sure, he swapped a couple of ineffective players for other ineffective players but from my vantage point (two rows behind where SB was patrolling the technical area) I didn't see him have any influence over our players. The only exception would be the quick chat he had with Amavi which coincided with Amavi starting to play poorly.

Now you mention it. Thats true!

I am still behind him but he messed up today. Hopefully he can adjust and learn going forward.

11 minutes ago, Spoony said:

We have a manager who has been promoted from the Championship 4 times.

We have signed all of the Championship's best strikers.

We have a premier league CB as captain.

We signed Forrest's captain, Barnsley's talisman and an Icelandic dude who tore up the Euros.

WHY ARE WE STILL AWFUL I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYMORE!!!!!

Refer to the curse thread. Its true. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, KSV said:

Hadnt thought of Bree in the 3. He has played a bit of CB this season. However.. Hutton stays on the right or do you put a more attacking player like Adomah who would track back a little? 2 uptop is a must. When Gabby is our best player at holding up the ball.. you know we cant play with the 1 upfront. 

Not Hutton, Adomah. Amavi left. I said in Bjarnason thread I didn't understand the hype about him and Swiss league is not all that bar a couple of teams. I was thinking for game today we'd see 4141 with Jedi in front of back 4. Was he injured? Hourihane right in 433 bizarre. He's left footed. Play him LCM in mid 4 at least. I think Kodjia and Hogan as a 2 will work well although Hogan looks like he can play as a lone centre forward

I don't understand the hoof all Bruce. We have kodjia who is better with the ball at his feet. You sold Rudy so why sell him if your going to play the Rudy way? His tactics were shite last night. I demand improvement on weekend no more excuses

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't understand the hoof all Bruce. We have kodjia who is better with the ball at his feet. You sold Rudy so why sell him if your going to play the Rudy way? His tactics were shite last night. I demand improvement on weekend no more excuses

Was thinking that as well last night.

Why sell your targetman and then go on to play hoof ball to an isolated forward?

Why buy ant entire new midfield with good passing ability and then bypass them totally by hoofing it over their heads?

Also, Sam Johnstone, just why?

22 minutes ago, sne said:

Was thinking that as well last night.

Why sell your targetman and then go on to play hoof ball to an isolated forward?

Why buy ant entire new midfield with good passing ability and then bypass them totally by hoofing it over their heads?

Also, Sam Johnstone, just why?

It don't make sense I think the performance was dreadful and the shape tactics were responsible for a majority of that. But like you have highlighted Johnstone looks **** awful. He is shaky meaning our defence are panicking every time he comes forward. Gollini was much better. Johnstone looks like garbage. Thankfully only a loan but he is piss poor. What a depressing state of affairs :angry:

Â