Next Villa Manager

Richard

18 minutes ago, ender4 said:

no, no and no.

We absolutely must go up this year.  

So we must win around 19 games from our remaining 35 and then win the play-offs. Lets hope our new manager is a miracle worker!

Edited by Gary Thomas

39 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Rowett ruled out by Pat Murphy. 

Sorry Richard. 

Yes big shame for me.  But to be honest he was effectively ruled out yesterday afternoon as far as I was concerned.

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think that is what the owners aim still is.

I think the appointment of a new manager both in terms of when and who will demonstrate where the current thinking is regards promotion this year

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think that is what the owners aim still is. The only reason you sack a manager you have recently employed this early in this division is if you fear you are in grave danger of being relegated if he stays much longer or you fear you are going to miss out on the top 6/promotion. Despite our league position I don’t think for a second the fear was we would be relegated. For me the remit for the new guy will still be to get top 6 as if Xia was willing to accept less he may as well of stuck with Di Matteo for a while longer. The timing of the sacking suggests he believes this season can still be saved by changing manager quickly.

I am not sure supporters will now be expecting top 6. The new manager has the issue of this not being his squad and the issue of not having a pre season to work with them. I personally think despite some deficiencies this is still a squad of players if used correctly that can still get into the top 6 especially with a couple of additions in January. It will almost certainly mean the new manager whoever he is will need to hit the ground running otherwise I think we will all, including the owner, have to accept that the promotion ship has sailed.

Don't want to bore everyone with this but to get 74pts (which would have got us 6th in 2016 but only 9th in 2015) we need to win about 19 games from now (54%), draw say 7 and lose only 9 - that would put us on 74pts. I agree we have a decent squad, but for a new manager to come in a suddenly go from winning 1 in 11 to winning 19 in 35 is a massive ask.  My concern is we make the wrong short-term appointment because we are chasing something that has a very low probability of success. I want us to go for it this year, don't get me wrong, but the sensible play for our board is to recognize we are likely to be in this league next year and we need to plan and build so we definitely get out in 2018.

Edited by Gary Thomas

I think both the amount of money we spent on transfers, and the fact that many of the players we signed are getting on a bit in age would suggest that we were/are definitely aiming for promotion this season.

Other than Jedinak none of them are over the hill, but neither are they spring chickens. It's not a team build for the future, it's supposed to be good now. 

Jedi 32

McCormack 29

Adomah & Elphick 28

Chester & De Laet 27

Kodija 26

All currently supposed to be in their prime or there about.

Only Gollini and Tish are one's for the future

• Like 1

TBH Im not so sure going up this season would do us any good long term.  We are so mentally weak still that Id fear for us if we returned so soon. We would be in real danger of going straight back down, not only going back to square 1 mentally but having any decent assets stripped to boot.

Controversal but another season down here may not be that bad for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

TBH Im not so sure going up this season would do us any good long term.  We are so mentally weak still that Id fear for us if we returned so soon. We would be in real danger of going straight back down, not only going back to square 1 mentally but having any decent assets stripped to boot.

Controversal but another season down here may not be that bad for me.

Going up would add almost £ 100m to our coffers in TV money alone thou...

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Don't want to bore everyone with this but to get 74pts (which would have got us 6th in 2016 but only 9th in 2015) we need to win about 19 games from now (54%), draw say 7 and lose only 9 - that would put us on 74pts. I agree we have a decent squad, but for a new manager to come in a suddenly go from winning 1 in 11 to winning 19 in 35 is a massive ask.  

I accept it is tough ask. Even under Di Matteo though who made some very strange tactical decisions had we have had a better rub of the green I could easily find 5 or 6 points to put onto our current total. Under a manager who knows what he is doing and can get us organised then I do think winning 19 games is possible. It would be the equivalent to wining around 25 over a whole season and had you have asked me in August I would have said was possible.

You start looking too far ahead though and it does look like we have a mountain to climb. You break it down though and say if over the next 10 games we could chip away at that 10 point gap to the play off places and reduce it to say 6 points then we’d have 25 games left to claw back 6 points and a transfer window on the horizon. Sounds doable then.

Let’s see how it goes but I think like the owner I am still some way off writing the season off just yet.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'm gonna have a bet on Sven-Göran Eriksson today I think.

Current manager of a Chinese club, international experience, wealth of club experience. Worth a punt.

If that comes in I'll give you the money myself 

1363966007296,0.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I accept it is tough ask. Even under Di Matteo though who made some very strange tactical decisions had we have had a better rub of the green I could easily find 5 or 6 points onto our current total. Under a manager who knows what he is doing and can get us organised then I do think winning 19 games is possible. It would be the equivalent to wining around 25 over a whole season and had you have asked me in August I would have said was possible.

You start looking too far ahead though and it does look like we have a mountain to climb. You break it down though and say if over the next 10 games we could chip away at that 10 point gap to the play off places and reduce it to say 6 points then we’d have 25 games left to claw back 6 points and a transfer window on the horizon. Sounds doable then.

Let’s see how it goes but I think like the owner I am still some way off writing the season off just yet.

I hope so Mark, I really do. I guess I still believe it could happen in my heart, even if my mind is telling me not likely.  We need one of those big managerial bounces to kick-start us.  Say we go and beat Wolves and then Blues - the positivism gauge would go through the roof and who knows.

just want this over so the media circus of piss taking and twitter jibes ends and we concentrate on football, we are laughing stock right now, in fact we have been for years.

i thought Xia taking over and a big transfer spend was going to be the start of something different, not just more of the same clownery.

I have no idea who we should get anymore, I wasn't pro RDM but i didn't think he was a bad appointment either. Garde and Sherwood seemed decent ideas at the time, i was over the moon about Lambert.

Eric Black i would happily kick in the bollocks if I ever crossed his path. 

I would be pro Bruce but I don't think appointing another ex Brum boss is really a good thing.

Woy Hodgeson, get him in

I'm not sure about this interest in Wagner. All he has had is a few games at Huddersfield and coached the 2nd team at Dortmund. It would be a huge gamble. Mind you everybody is a gamble with Villa the way they are. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Typical short sightedness which has plagued the club for years. 

I actually think over strategizing has cost the club dearly over the years. It seemed make 'dross today' acceptable because we had a manager who was instilling an ethos into the club. Complete rubbish of course. Football more than ever is about the hear and now. Sure you have fergie and wenger - but on the whole most clubs are changing manager every 2.5 years or so.

Win the next 6 on the bounce and everything will look better - loose em and the new manager will tell us he is changing the culture of the club.

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I'm not sure about this interest in Wagner. All he has had is a few games at Huddersfield and coached the 2nd team at Dortmund. It would be a huge gamble. Mind you everybody is a gamble with Villa the way they are. 

If the only alternative was Bruce though, i would go with Wagner.