Next Villa Manager

Richard

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

Steve Cotterill would indicate to me that we are unlikely to be pushing for promotion any time soon, and that the board are pretty clueless as to what would be a good managerial appointment.

It indicates to me that Sky are making shit up because they would like some punters to put loads of money on him using their betting website (which is handily linked from the article) as that will make them lots of lovely money.

4 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

Did Michael O'Neill play attacking football when in charge of Shamrock? Obviously at NI he is often underdogs so has to be quite defensive.

He did domestically, but I agree with your earlier post that it's hard to compare the standard.

The first manager to get a side from Ireland to the Europa League group stages though.

He wouldn't be my first choice but I'd certainly choose him ahead of the likes of Cotterill

Edited by dubliner
word missing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheStagMan said:

It indicates to me that Sky are making shit up because they would like some punters to put loads of money on him using their betting website (which is handily linked from the article) as that will make them lots of lovely money.

Indeed so.

How can a so-called "news" operation be associated with a betting partner?

Clearly a conflict of interest, if not legally then certainly from an ethical point of view. Oh wait, Murdoch... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

That's a fair response - but if we were currently in the Top 10 (like we were when MON left) and looking to appoint a new manager then I don't think we would see either Howe or Dyche as a coup / statement of intent. Right now either would be a huge coup for us - but it isn't going to happen.  They are both in a "no lose" situation - performing well above expectations at clubs with "low" demands - they are never going to give that up for a risk like Villa.  So I would be astonished if Dr T persuaded either to sign up. 

But my point was more a "massive statement of intent" and I don't think that either are.  They've done a brilliant job at small clubs and taken them into a fantastic position but in my opinion both are bottom half of the Premiership type managers.  Xia has been talking about higher aspirations than that.  So a massive statement of intent would be signing a manager who would be expecting to manage teams competing in Europe.  Given where we are - I can't see that happening.  So I think the best we can hope for is more likely to be to sign a manager to get us back in the Premier League and then sign up our massive statement of intent manager. 

In which case I don't think that Howe or Dyche make much sense as they are neither one nor the other.  Neither would leave a comfortable job for a short term project with huge risk and I don't think that either are the long term MSOI solution either.  If Xia had just stated that his aim was to get us back into the Premier League then they would be amazing appointments and would definitely signal that he was backing up his commitment.  However, he hasn't.  He has said that he wants to take us back to at least where we are 10 years ago (top 6/7 team playing in Europe - or at the time fielding weakened teams in Europe to try and challenge for 4th) and beyond.  I just can't see Howe or Dyche doing that and so that is why amazing appointments as they might be - I don't see either as being a massive statement of intent.

I think spending 50 mill in the summer and appointing a manager who has won the champions league.......was a reasonable attempt at a massive statement of intent. some of the "pie in the sky" managers being mentioned will never achieve that in their lifetimes....such was the achievement.

What we need now is " A massive statement of intent" of knowing what we are and where we are........and appointing an appropriate manager to fix that

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

On the money

We are not in the right place for that kind of manager and if we appear to be lucky enough to get one it will be a big mistake IMO

I think similar things were said about Leicester and Ranieri?  Although I do tend to agree that this is the wrong time for such an appointment. 

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

We want a manager that can implement the very basic ingredients of attempting to win a football match.....This head in the clouds stuff has to stop, we are in a serious situation and need a manager who can identify with this and get on the training ground and get this team back to functioning to carry out the fundamentals.

You have hit the nail on the head, this is exactly what we need!  Someone who can make us do the basics, THEN take it from there.

Too many people want to run before they can walk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craigy1874 said:

You have hit the nail on the head, this is exactly what we need!  Someone who can make us do the basics, THEN take it from there.

Too many people want to run before they can walk.

Like who ? 

Just now, TRO said:

I think spending 50 mill in the summer and appointing a manager who has won the champions league.......was a massive statement of intent. some of the "pie in the sky" managers being mentioned will never achieve that in their lifetimes....such was the achievement.

What we need now is " A massive statement of intent" of knowing what we are and where we are........and appointing an appropriate manager to fix that

I whole-heartedly agree.  Unless Clark stays until the end of the season (which he shouldn't) our next managerial appointment should not / will not be a massive statement of intent.  Which is exactly what I was saying....

1 hour ago, BOF said:

A mate of mine mentioned him to me as well.  I'm unsure of Mancini's management ability in the same way that I was unsure of RDM's ability.  The trouble is that his status as a player gave him immediate access to managing football clubs that are naturally higher in the pecking order.  He has never had a task similar to what he would inherit at Villa and I'm not sure he'd be up to it.  I don't want to be another proving ground for a 'name' manager who ultimately flatters to deceive.  I'm not saying he's a charlatan to the degree that RDM seems to be, but I don't think he's all that either.

His status and name might even preclude us from getting him in the first place so it might all be moot.

Tbf he took over an Inter side that hadn't won a domestic trophy since the 80's and took them to 3 Serie As and 2 Coppa Italias in 4 seasons, after previously doing a great job with a Lazio side stripped of their star talents. Either way, there's no way he'd even return our call atm! Guidolin, Bruce or Wagner of those mentioned for me!

• Like 1

@Johnnyp

All of the fans who want footballing philosophies and all that shite.

Our players can barely defend, pass or score a goal.

We need to get back to basics, maybe even a bloody 4-4-2.  Get the basics sorted, then the confidence returns and we move on from there.

Edited by Craigy1874

You'd think that as a still big name which is still fairly revered around Europe we would raise a few successful manager's eyebrows.

Almost can't fail here. Do anything better than lose every game and you're doing well. A hugely potent attack force with a decent defence but a forgotten midfield. The promise of whatever funds are necessary to fill in the gaps in a couple of month's time.

I'd say and hope that a few big names would already have been on the phone by now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Tbf he took over an Inter side that hadn't won a domestic trophy since the 80's and took them to 3 Serie As and 2 Coppa Italias in 4 seasons, after previously doing a great job with a Lazio side stripped of their star talents. Either way, there's no way he'd even return our call atm! Guidolin, Bruce or Wagner of those mentioned for me!

That does make it sound like I'm doing him a dis-service.  Sadly it also makes it sound like we wouldn't have a hope in hell.  So pros and cons with your post then :P:P 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Craigy1874 said:

@Johnnyp

All of the fans who want footballing philosophies and all that shite.

Our players can barely defend, pass or score a goal.

We need to get back to basics, maybe even a bloody 4-4-2.  Get the basics sorted, then the confidence returns and we move on from there.

Not necessarily no. Like Rowett said yesterday, Wagner's Huddersfield were the best and most drilled side he's ever come up against. I just think he sets up his team very well and they work incredibly hard. No hard science behind that and id like to think he could get us doing that as well. Bruce may well be the answer, may well not. No certainties on how we go after whoever it is we appoint. None.

• Like 2