Next Villa Manager

Richard

I just can't believe that Bruce is anything other than the media peddling their own agenda.  Considering what the Doctor originally said about wanting to create our own identity and brand of football, together with his most recent comments such as the one below:

I'd say actually we consider the stability & long term vision very important aspects but we need get all right b4 starting long march.

How you get Steve Bruce from that is anyone's guess!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Can I ask why we are all so focused on Bruce, when we have managers out there available to the caliber of Roberto Manchini!

A mate of mine mentioned him to me as well.  I'm unsure of Mancini's management ability in the same way that I was unsure of RDM's ability.  The trouble is that his status as a player gave him immediate access to managing football clubs that are naturally higher in the pecking order.  He has never had a task similar to what he would inherit at Villa and I'm not sure he'd be up to it.  I don't want to be another proving ground for a 'name' manager who ultimately flatters to deceive.  I'm not saying he's a charlatan to the degree that RDM seems to be, but I don't think he's all that either.

His status and name might even preclude us from getting him in the first place so it might all be moot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Its probably a lot to do with the very realistic possibility that such 'Caliber' managers would laugh if asked to play in the championship!

Most around here are realistic of the division and prediciment we find ourselves in.

Money Talks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Money Talks.

I agree, but its not as if we are the only club who will offer money to these calibre managers.

Im not sure of Mancinis position personally, but Id guess most would rather wait for money and a higher level.

It could happen but its definately not the level we should be expecting.

5 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

I just can't believe that Bruce is anything other than the media peddling their own agenda.  Considering what the Doctor originally said about wanting to create our own identity and brand of football, together with his most recent comments such as the one below:

I'd say actually we consider the stability & long term vision very important aspects but we need get all right b4 starting long march.

How you get Steve Bruce from that is anyone's guess!

The doctor lives in cloud cuckoo land to be perfectly honest. His delusions of granduer need to stop. We will not be the best supported club in th world competing in the champions league anytime soon. He needs to get a grip on reality and get a safe pair of hands in, he needs to realise fairly quickly that we are relegation candidates at present and that this football club has had more managers than wins in the last twelve months!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

"Steve Cotterill to be interviewed for Aston Villa job - Sky sources"

Thank you Sky Sources , but who?

A guy that Coventry deemed not good enough to be their new manager only last week. That's who he is :)

Managed Bristol City, Forest, Cheltenham amongst other teams. Always getting the sack as well

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

"Steve Cotterill to be interviewed for Aston Villa job - Sky sources"

Thank you Sky Sources , but who?

Gee, it looks as though he has come in to 8s on SkyBet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villan4Life said:

A guy that Coventry deemed not good enough to be their new manager only last week. That's who he is :)

Managed Bristol City, Forest, Cheltenham amongst other teams. Always getting the sack as well

:wacko:

Steve Cotterill would indicate to me that we are unlikely to be pushing for promotion any time soon, and that the board are pretty clueless as to what would be a good managerial appointment.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Gee, it looks as though he has come in to 8s on SkyBet.

If he comes out and says there is no truth in the rumour/source then sky need to be investigated for this blatant ripping off of punters on made up facts. I imagine it happens a lot.

Honestly, we would be lucky to get Steve Bruce. Aston Villa is the closest thing to career suicide going at the moment and has been for a long time . It wouldn't surprise me if Bruce bides his time for another prem league job - he interviewed for England 3 months ago and probably fancies that as his level...he's probably right. Sunderland, Stoke or West Ham will be available soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rubberman said:

Well, they are currently 12th and 13th so close enough to top 10.  We are 19th in the championship so persuading someone to step down from that level to us would be, for me, a massive statement of intent.   Given what they are producing with much smaller clubs they should be able to take us comfortably into the top 10 (theoretically!)

That's a fair response - but if we were currently in the Top 10 (like we were when MON left) and looking to appoint a new manager then I don't think we would see either Howe or Dyche as a coup / statement of intent. Right now either would be a huge coup for us - but it isn't going to happen.  They are both in a "no lose" situation - performing well above expectations at clubs with "low" demands - they are never going to give that up for a risk like Villa.  So I would be astonished if Dr T persuaded either to sign up. 

But my point was more a "massive statement of intent" and I don't think that either are.  They've done a brilliant job at small clubs and taken them into a fantastic position but in my opinion both are bottom half of the Premiership type managers.  Xia has been talking about higher aspirations than that.  So a massive statement of intent would be signing a manager who would be expecting to manage teams competing in Europe.  Given where we are - I can't see that happening.  So I think the best we can hope for is more likely to be to sign a manager to get us back in the Premier League and then sign up our massive statement of intent manager. 

In which case I don't think that Howe or Dyche make much sense as they are neither one nor the other.  Neither would leave a comfortable job for a short term project with huge risk and I don't think that either are the long term MSOI solution either.  If Xia had just stated that his aim was to get us back into the Premier League then they would be amazing appointments and would definitely signal that he was backing up his commitment.  However, he hasn't.  He has said that he wants to take us back to at least where we are 10 years ago (top 6/7 team playing in Europe - or at the time fielding weakened teams in Europe to try and challenge for 4th) and beyond.  I just can't see Howe or Dyche doing that and so that is why amazing appointments as they might be - I don't see either as being a massive statement of intent.

7 minutes ago, KHV said:

The doctor lives in cloud cuckoo land to be perfectly honest. His delusions of granduer need to stop. We will not be the best supported club in th world competing in the champions league anytime soon. He needs to get a grip on reality and get a safe pair of hands in, he needs to realise fairly quickly that we are relegation candidates at present and that this football club has had more managers than wins in the last twelve months!

Regardless of where he lives, he has a vision and no matter how 'ambitious' that vision, he comes across as someone who sticks to his guns.  That to me points to the fact that it won't be Bruce.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, claretman said:

I can't believe that Sherwood is featuring in these conversations.  What's the matter with folk?

I've had to tell a couple of Villa supporting mates today to behave themselves when hearing "I'd have him back" and remind them how he was completely found out tactically and WAY out of his depth.  The man seems to be revered on the basis of our FA Cup run.

15 hours ago, claretman said:

I can't believe that Sherwood is featuring in these conversations.  What's the matter with folk?

I've had to tell a couple of Villa supporting mates today to behave themselves when hearing "I'd have him back" and remind them how he was completely found out tactically and WAY out of his depth.  The man seems to be revered on the basis of our FA Cup run.

well he is more popular with fans off this site.....don't know why, perhaps they see something different.