Next Villa Manager

Richard

13 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Neither, Just more the fact he is a yo-yo manager who has not won a thing in the process.

If we need to rely on Steve Bruce as our savior then I am giving up football altogether if it has came to this!

Wining things is not our concern at the minute is it. Getting promotion is. In fact just being competitive in this league would be an improvement at the moment. Take it a step at a time. Bruce of all the candidates looks like the outstanding choice for taking the big step back to the top flight as he has 4 promotions from this league on his CV the most recent just last season.

Beyond that then who knows but we can concern ourselves with what happens when we get back to the top flight when we actually get there. Nigel Adkins got Southampton back to back promotions into the top flight and then mid way through the season they sacked him and replaced him with Pochettino. If we have to be ruthless with the man who gets us promoted then so be it but to be looking that far ahead now is getting way ahead of ourselves.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

IMHO  I would take a punt on Michael Laudrup.

He signed alot of Gems at swansea and think he would do well with us.

Martin Laursen as No.2  Now that would be something!

Thats a good outside bet actually.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Unless you are winning things why would you take the stable option?  Is that what we have to look forward to now...being stable?

Clearly not what I meant. 

I meant that he is a stable pair of hands. You know what you're going to get - Promoted. 

Bruce or Dyche for me. Wagner too much of a risk.  We have proven players and now we need a proven manager. Someone who knows the league well and can get us promoted. After that we can think long term etc.

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I meant that he is a stable pair of hands. You know what you're going to get - Promoted. 

And you also know what your going to get if he fails to even get beyond 12th position!  - another drama, mess and another manager chop and change.  Keeps the circus rolling I guess!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Bruce or Dyche for me. Wagner too much of a risk.  We have proven players and now we need a proven manager. Someone who knows the league well and can get us promoted. After that we can think long term etc.

We have proven players? Proven at what? I cannot think of one player of ours that is proven at success, which is what we want / need.

2 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I think Martin Laursen would be awful in a management role. Him and Michael Laudrup has disaster written all over it imo.

That is interesting, Since he did more at Swansea than what our last 8 managers have done, and he had a lot less money too.

so on that note, I am going to disagree with you.

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

IMHO  I would take a punt on Michael Laudrup.

He signed alot of Gems at swansea and think he would do well with us.

Martin Laursen as No.2  Now that would be something!

Laudrup is an ego maniac and was deservedly sacked by swansea for a reason. Just one example is him cancelling training because he had flown out of the country to visit his daughter in Paris.

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

This is why the next appointment is very important DDID.

Like you say, not just another stop gap manager or someone just to save us etc.

I am sure you will agree that they need to be put in place now and know the sky is the limit for them, but at the same time ideally we should avoid journeymen championship managers and think a little beyond this.

Well I didn't say that and I don't agree, no. 

We do this every time lately. Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, RDM, potential potential potential. It has been both our transfer policy and our managerial policy for far too long. 

Giving the job to Steve Bruce would be the equivalent to signing a few established Premier League players with dependable attitudes the summer before last, as opposed to a load of soft nobodies. IMO. 

We don't want our club taking gambles like that again, so why are we dead set on them appointing those kinds of managers? Let's learn from our mistakes, for once. 

Maybe Wagner or Rowett would succeed. Maybe they'll go on to be the new Klopp and Clough. Maybe. 

Maybe. 

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That is interesting, Since he did more at Swansea than what our last 8 managers have done, and he had a lot less money too.

so on that note, I am going to disagree with you.

I don't see much fight in a Michael Laudrup side. I see a lot of pretty football that works for a short period of time.

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

And you also know what your going to get if he fails to even get beyond 12th position!  - another drama, mess and another manager chop and change.  Keeps the circus rolling I guess!

Is the same regardless who the manager is?

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

We have proven players? Proven at what? I cannot think of one player of ours that is proven at success, which is what we want / need.

Really? 

Aside from the hatful of goals our strikers have scored in this league, what have they proven?

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Wining things is not our concern at the minute is it. Getting promotion is. In fact just being competitive in this league would be an improvement at the moment. Take it a step at a time. Bruce of all the candidates looks like the outstanding choice for taking the big step back to the top flight as he has 4 promotions from this league on his CV the most recent just last season.

Beyond that then who knows but we can concern ourselves with what happens when we get back to the top flight when we actually get there. Nigel Adkins got Southampton back to back promotions into the top flight and then mid way through the season they sacked him and replaced him with Pochettino. If we have to be ruthless with the man who gets us promoted then so be it but to be looking that far ahead now is getting way ahead of ourselves.

I think winning things is very much our concern at the moment, we cannot even win a football match!

I agree getting out of this league is our aim, but to do that you need to win games!

Can I ask, if we did hire Bruce, and he did get us promoted this season.. what happens to him then once we are promoted?  Are you sticking as a thank you, or are you chopping him to get the manager who has a glittering Premier League CV?

I ask this because in today's game you have to think very much ahead.

If Mr Potato head is happy to come here for one season knowing he is going to get the chop the minute he promotes us.. what is the point??

We need stability now and in the foreseeable future because all we are witnessing is more manager changes than pit stops in a Monaco grand prix!

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Really? 

Aside from the hatful of goals our strikers have scored in this league, what have they proven?

How many of them have got promoted? Genuine question. 

Also, given we can only play a small number of strikers, despite RDM's attempts otherwise, I imagine the lack of proven players elsewhere negates how successful may have been.

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Really? 

Or the two (three if you include RDL) promotion winning defenders we signed.

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

How many of them have got promoted? Genuine question. 

Also, given we can only play a small number of strikers, despite RDM's attempts otherwise, I imagine the lack of proven players elsewhere negates how successful may have been.

So a player can can only be proven if they got promoted?

Well lets use your benchmark then.

Promoted from Championship: Elphick, Chester, Adomah, RDL (twice) , Jedinak, Bunn

Even with your arbitrary benchmark, there's 6 'proven' players right there. Without the 3 strikers with around 100 goals in this league excluded by your criteria.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

I get this sneaky feeling that not everyone is going to be pleased with this next manager!

Careful. You are really going out on a limb there.

• Like 1