The Championship thread

TrentVilla

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Quite interesting though his jokes are Brent like but actually coaching the players to improve them

Yeah it did come across a bit ‘Being Liverpool’ with the jokes, but not as detached from reality as Brendan. Sometimes though you have to leave you cynic at the door and embrace it. The positivity, the belief that what you do there on the training pitch can change the outcome of a game. I can imagine Southgate being the same. I feel the next generation of players (certainly English ones) are a different breed to what’s gone before them.

Love to have that insight into BMH, maybe it would enlighten a few of us disgruntled VillaTalkers about what goes into moulding a football team. Or perhaps Bruce would be shite ? this is probs the role of clement, calderwood mind. Wonder if he would be more like Warnock in that QPR documentary? 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

7 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Yeah it did come across a bit ‘Being Liverpool’ with the jokes, but not as detached from reality as Brendan. Sometimes though you have to leave you cynic at the door and embrace it. The positivity, the belief that what you do there on the training pitch can change the outcome of a game. I can imagine Southgate being the same. I feel the next generation of players (certainly English ones) are a different breed to what’s gone before them.

Love to have that insight into BMH, maybe it would enlighten a few of us disgruntled VillaTalkers about what goes into moulding a football team. Or perhaps Bruce would be shite ? this is probs the role of clement, calderwood mind

in contrast there is a lot more head coaches coming through from Britain, led by Rodgers, Dyche who will improve players ability. IN fairness Bruce is an old school British manager and they are a dying breed. Only Warnock and Hughes would be in that profile starting the new top flight season 

Problem is that English football is about 30 years behind Europe in adapting this approach

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

in contrast there is a lot more head coaches coming through from Britain, led by Rodgers, Dyche who will improve players ability. IN fairness Bruce is an old school British manager and they are a dying breed. Only Warnock and Hughes would be in that profile starting the new top flight season 

Problem is that English football is about 30 years behind Europe in adapting this approach

Agreed. I think there’s a switch in mindset from British players too. A change in culture, to listen and learn and appreciate that you can be better by thinking. 

In that QPR doc 4 year plan; the contempt some of the players shown toward P. Sousa when he arrived was astonishing; a fair few acted like spoilt children. (I think it was a similar environment to what Houlier faced when he arrived) Warnock was just banging on about money all the time and bringing lads in ? TBF though he achieved promotion, he does what he does well.

I think it’s time villa adopted these modern methods too, with a head coach. But to be fair to Bruce I don’t know what occurs on the training pitch beyond my cognitive bias. 

NB Were just such a big club down here, it’s like promotion or bust, an inexperienced head coach wouldn’t get the time and backing to make mistakes and learn. Although Bruce has had 3 cracks at the whip now ?

Edited by GENTLEMAN

I'm hoping for a rough start to Fat Frank's reign against Reading tonight.

Otherwise there will be a media wankfest of epic proportions.

Reading were shit last season though and if they are as bad as they were Derby really should win.

Edited by AshVilla

This Mason Mount, looks about 10 years of age he has some pretty impressive stats though for a midfielder at vitesse last season. 14 goals 10 assists shit league?

Edited by AshVilla

52 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bacuna on bench. Fancy Reading now

He's carrying an injury.

Reading only won once without him last season. If he stays on the bench and they can get up it will be their first win without him in 11 and a half months.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

He's carrying an injury.

Reading only won once without him last season. If he stays on the bench and they can get up it will be their first win without him in 11 and a half months.

The Bacuna bat signal must have flashed

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

He's carrying an injury.

They didn't win many with him either.

If these stats don't get you hard then nothing will.

:
Season Team Tournament Apps Mins Goals Assists Yel Red SpG PS% AerialsWon MotM Rating
2017/2018 Reading EC 29(4) 2649 1 3 8 1 1 79.9 1.1 - 6.69
2017/2018 Aston Villa EC 1 70 - - - - 1 77.8 1 - 6.53
2016/2017 Aston Villa EC 22(8) 2051 1 2 8 1 0.8 73.6 0.9 1 6.58
2015/2016 Aston Villa Premier League 27(4) 2418 1 - 8 - 1 77.6 0.8 - 6.63
2014/2015 Aston Villa Premier League 10(9) 981 - 5 1 - 0.9 78.6 0.3 1 6.54
2013/2014 Aston Villa Premier League 28(7) 2595 5 1 6 - 1.1 71.3 0.9 2

Total / Average     149 10764 8 11 31 2 1 76 0.8 4 6.65

Â