International Football General Chat

villa4europe

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bolivia sanctioned for fielding an ineligible player and now Chile leapfrog Argentina in qualifying :lol:

Argies really up against it now....their 4 home games away to Brazil, Uruguay, Bolivia and Ecuador are as tough as it gets in South America for differing reasons.

Going to have to rely on their home form I think, probably need minimum of 10 points from their final four home games so little margin for error.

They really have messed up what should have been a simple qualification....need to re-appoint Maradona to get them over the line like last time they had trouble qualifying. ;)

International week ends suck. The football is shite. The TV coverage is shite. The news coming out of VP drys up, so thats shite. No Championship predictions to play, thats shite. No last man standing, thats shite. In fact its all shite.

Roll on the 18th when we get back to proper football and the domestic leagues.

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 2

Possibly not the right forum, but hey ho.

FIFA and UEFA really are doing everything in their power to remove the normal fans from their precious tournaments.

Just read that, as expected all alcohol will be banned at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. No alcohol in the stadiums, the streets, the squares or any fan areas.

Obviously it is possible to have fun without alcohol (or so I've read) but they are really not catering to the ordinary fan in the first place by giving it to Qatar. 

This follows giving it to Russia where no sane person who values their life would go as an opposing fan.

And the preposterous idea of having the next European championships played in 13 different cities in as many countries. Making it extremely expensive and complicated to go to more than 1 of your teams games. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sne said:

FIFA and UEFA really are doing everything in their power to remove the normal fans from their precious tournaments.

Just read that, as expected all alcohol will be banned at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. No alcohol in the stadiums, the streets, the squares or any fan areas.

Obviously it is possible to have fun without alcohol (or so I've read) but they are really not catering to the ordinary fan in the first place by giving it to Qatar. 

This follows giving it to Russia where no sane person who values their life would go as an opposing fan.

And the preposterous idea of having the next European championships played in 13 different cities in as many countries. Making it extremely expensive and complicated to go to more than 1 of your teams games. 

I hope it backfires massively on FIFA and UEFA. Bunch of bent cretins

Don't know why the big associations don't just peel off and form a new governing body. 

21 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Watch Brazil-Argies on Thursday evening and try to type that nonsense afterwards. :P

Ive watched plenty of Brazil and Argentina matches and guess what, they've been not very good. Anyhow its on at 11.45pm which is way past my bed time.

I stand by what i say, which is basically, being English, that International football is boring zzzzzzzz

imo :)

3 hours ago, sne said:

Surely that's more on Qatar than FIFA though? pre-Brazil, I know they enforced alcohol being sold at stadium (Budweiser, as it's a sponsor). I'd imagine FIFA would want alcohol there, but maybe it's Qatar kicking up a fuss because of their laws.

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Surely that's more on Qatar than FIFA though? pre-Brazil, I know they enforced alcohol being sold at stadium (Budweiser, as it's a sponsor). I'd imagine FIFA would want alcohol there, but maybe it's Qatar kicking up a fuss because of their laws.

True. From what I've read it was supposed to be alcohol served in the stadiums, but Qatar have now gone back on that agreement. 

But  FIFA knew full well that by placing the tournament in Qatar this would happen, as well as making it impossible for many ordinary fans to afford going there in the first place.

This of course pales in comparison to all the other issues with giving the tournament to Qatar.

Edited by sne

Just now, sne said:

True. From what I've it was supposed to be alcohol served in the stadiums, but Qatar have not gone back on that agreement. 

But  FIFA knew full well that by placing the tournament in Qatar this would happen, as well as making it impossible for many ordinary fans to afford going there in the first place.

This of course pales in comparison to all the other issues with giving the tournament to Qatar.

Indeed. The whole thing is a terrible mess. You'd hope a lesson is learned from it. Then we'll get North Korea 2034.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Indeed. The whole thing is a terrible mess. You'd hope a lesson is learned from it. Then we'll get North Korea 2034.

I couldnt think of a better place for prima-donna footballers ;)

20 hours ago, imavillan said:

Ive watched plenty of Brazil and Argentina matches and guess what, they've been not very good. Anyhow its on at 11.45pm which is way past my bed time.

I stand by what i say, which is basically, being English, that International football is boring zzzzzzzz

imo :)

True but imo England play some of the most boring football in international football (given their pool of players) and also usually get drawn in some of the most boring qualification groups aswell so if that's all you base international football on then yes it is a yawnfest.

Look at what happens around the world...South America could have the incredible story of Argentina and Messi missing out on the world cup....African section has half our squad involved and I notice Concacaf has U.S- Mexico on Friday in Ohio...not sure why but reckon that will be pretty lively.

I'd leave you with this point...look at how much playing and winning in international football means to Bale, Neymar, Ronaldo and Suarez. Four of the best players in the world.

another great result for Brazil, new manager is just proving that Scolari and Dunga were absolute idiots

as for Argentina they have no idea how to play their strikers in big games. I dont think Messi can play with Aguero or Higuain

Yes I'm a big critic of Brazil but appointing Tite was a masterstroke...he's making Big Phil and Dunga look like football dinosaurs with what he's getting out of Brazil currently.

He's got them playing as a solid unit which is half the battle in international football.

What's also exciting for them is he's finally got Coutinho into the starting line up so he can provide another threat if Neymar is having an off day.

What can you say about Argentina...I still have think they have a tremendous amount of quality but it's just not happening for them. They look in as big a mess as during the Maradona days.

Their defence is horrible though and could well cost them a finals place...Otamendi is nowhere near a top quality centre half imo, Fuenes Mori is a reserve for Everton and Zabaleta is passed his best now.

50 goals in international football for Neymar. He has a better international record than Messi. Coutinho is as good as any player in the Premier League. It would be unbelievable if Argentina don't qualify given the talent they have at their disposal. I saw the Colombia v Chile game and that was awful. Only one team came to play and Chile played every time wasting trick in the book to get a 0-0. Load of cheats.

Edited by PaulC

Â