International Football General Chat

villa4europe

12 hours ago, Hornso said:

Much more of the same I expect. Two of our back 4 last night were earning only their 3rd caps each. Both have only played in the A League, but both have just joined Hearts. Even Redmayne the GK hero, is a 33 year old A League player earning only his 3rd ever cap.

I imagine we will be very much making up the numbers. As previously mentioned on here, since the good squad of 2006, we have been a long, constant decline in terms of talent.

What happened to the Aranzi guy who went to Celtic, he was your big hope a few years ago but career seems to have stalled.

Yeah it's a shame the Aussie player talent pool has run dry a bit now you're getting to world cup every time compared to 90s and early 2000s.

Can't see them getting anything off Danes or France, Tunisia will probably be most boring game of group stage as they're very defensive themselves.

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

What happened to the Aranzi guy who went to Celtic, he was your big hope a few years ago but career seems to have stalled.

Yeah it's a shame the Aussie player talent pool has run dry a bit now you're getting to world cup every time compared to 90s and early 2000s.

Can't see them getting anything off Danes or France, Tunisia will probably be most boring game of group stage as they're very defensive themselves.

I think that's part of the problem. Pinning our hopes on the next big thing to pull Australian football out of the mire when it's often a lot of hype with not a whole lot of substance. I remember a young 16 year old called Seb Pasquali getting articles written about him and earning a transfer to Ajax because of his performance for Melbourne Victory in a friendly against Juventus down here. Of course he was back in a couple of years and now is struggling to get time in the A League.

Arzani was at Melbourne City, then was bought by Manchester City and loaned to Celtic. He made one appearance off the bench for them early in the season before doing his ACL. It's all been downhill since. The following season he played 5 minutes for them in the Cup. In 2020 he was loaned to Utrecht, played about 90 minutes of senior football for them before being loaned to AGF in Denmark where he managed 120 minutes. Last season he was loaned to Lommel in the Belgian 2nd division and made about 15 appearances.

I've just read he's a bolter for the WC squad if he can get regular football.

Another one for the "what happened to" file is Mass Luongo. Broke out at the 2015 Asian Cup, scoring in the final and became a key, young part of the national team, looked like he could be headed for the premier league. Now's he's not getting called up and struggling down in League 1, but I think injuries have played their part there too.  

Edited by Hornso
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Hornso said:

I think that's part of the problem. Pinning our hopes on the next big thing to pull Australian football out of the mire when it's often a lot of hype with not a whole lot of substance. I remember a young 16 year old called Seb Pasquali getting articles written about him and earning a transfer to Ajax because of his performance for Melbourne Victory in a friendly against Juventus down here. Of course he was back in a couple of years and now is struggling to get time in the A League.

Arzani was at Melbourne City, then was bought by Manchester City and loaned to Celtic. He made one appearance off the bench for them early in the season before doing his ACL. It's all been downhill since. The following season he played 5 minutes for them in the Cup. In 2020 he was loaned to Utrecht, played about 90 minutes of senior football for them before being loaned to AGF in Denmark where he managed 120 minutes. Last season he was loaned to Lommel in the Belgian 2nd division and made about 15 appearances.

I've just read he's a bolter for the WC squad if he can get regular football.

Another one for the "what happened to" file is Mass Luongo. Broke out at the 2015 Asian Cup, scoring in the final and became a key, young part of the national team, looked like he could be headed for the premier league. Now's he's not getting called up and struggling down in League 1, but I think injuries have played their part there too.  

Luongo was linked with us as well, think it was the Sherwood summer but might be wrong 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Luongo was linked with us as well, think it was the Sherwood summer but might be wrong 

He was a good player at Swindon around that time, think he went to QPR and stagnated with injuries as @Hornso says so that's something that can't be predicted in players development.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Pretty shitty thing to do, throwing away the Peru keepers notes

Here's an interesting breakdown of his shootout performance analysed and all the extra little things he did to swing the percentages in his favour:

I mean, I'm biased in this case but I didn't really care that he threw away his notes. I imagine they'd have them memorised and the notes are a back up. I did see people suggest the next step is to do what the QB's in the NFL do and have them on their equipment. Written on their gloves perhaps?

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 15/06/2022 at 21:37, VillaChris said:

Funny, just read a tweet from a journo saying he’s coming back to the A-League.

This was not Redmayne’s first dance. He used the same technique when saving two kicks in the shootout that gave his Sydney FC the A-league title vs Perth in 2019. Other than that, his shootout experience is limited and his regular penalty saving percentage is poor (13%). 3/9

Is that actually a low percentage?
I'm all for this tbf, nobody is getting hurt and win at all costs. If you don't win you're the one that looks like a complete fool.

25 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Iplayer . England u17 Euros vs Austria at 7pm 

Carney Tim and Aaron all start in an all Villa midfield . I can confirm they have plugged in the stream this time 

Tim must be boderline for cut off, 19 in less than two weeks.

44 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Tim must be boderline for cut off, 19 in less than two weeks.

It’s U19, not U17.

Carney scored the only goal so far

This popped up on Twitter, probably the greatest game I have watched. End to end between two top teams. Two future Villa players scored as well, that assist at the end was incredibly clever from Poborsky

• Like 4

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The cut back for the winning goal is a thing of beauty, not often you some something so unselfish 

If I remember it was late, maybe even last minute, most players would have instinctively smashed it as the keeper was expecting

Poborsky was one of them players underestimated because he had a poor spell in England

Â