2016 Summer Olympics, Rio de Janeiro

StanBalaban

Talk about commentators curse :

"This is mos chance to be the first british athlete to win 3 golds, and you know what it's looking good for mo so far"

Literally one second later Farah is on his arse after team mate & training partner Galen Rupp crashes into him.

Back on his feet quickly & doesn't seem to have done him much harm though and still plenty of the race left

Bit of intrigue in the long jump as Lawson of the USA looks to have won it with a monster jump (and with the last jump of the competition).

Cue outrage when he's measured about 60cm down on what he thought he had jumped.  Looks like he stuck his hand down in the pit early though (schoolboy etc) - and as I typed this, we get a Richard Keys eque "another view" that confirms that.  Rutherford gets a bronze.

I'm surprised rutherford didn't make more of a fuss about his foul jump, Think that one would have won gold  by some distance and there didn't really seem to be much of a mark on the line and stills appear to show he didn't actually touch it.

EooMbCu.jpg

Edited by LakotaDakota

Should be fun, Ennis has a PB time of about 10 seconds better than Thaim for the 800 but that time was 5 years ago.

Thiam ran 2.17.28 in may this year

Ennis ran 2.07.81 but that was in 2011, The best she has ran this year is 2.11.46

could be very close but looks like she could miss out on the gold this time

Edited by LakotaDakota

Ennis-Hill needs more than a little luck to get gold here. She's a better 800m runner but the gap is tight. If she they both run equal to PBs she wins, just, but that isn't going to happen.

She's going to get a silver by a small margin.

Edit - the Beeb actually reckon an equal PB for each gives the Belgian the win by 6 points. So it's an obviously tight one..

Edited by Chindie

Shame for Jess, but to be fair to Thiam, dragging yourself over the line for a PB to make sure gold doesn't slip away is some way to end the event (not to mention nearly busting her arm in the Javelin).

Was about to call it a night, but then saw the Brazil volleyball team are playing - and now I have to find out whether they still have their wildly gesticulating coach on the sidelines :P

Unlucky for ennis but Thiam was very good from the high jump onwards.

If KJT could sort out her throwing it will be a good battle in future between her & Thiam as they are very evenly matched phsically. KJT is quicker on the track but there are 12 year old kids who can throw a Javelin & shot put farther than she can

Edited by LakotaDakota

6 hours ago, darrenm said:

Taking greater contact friction out of it, if I was 200kg and you were 100kg yet I was pushing 500w and you 250w, I would be twice as fast. Hence, power to weight ratio isn't important in track cycling, it's all about power. This is the basic physics, have a read up

No you wouldn't. 

Power to weight ratio= power (watts) : weight (kg) 

500:200=2.5

250:100=2.5.

Someone's a little rusty ;)

2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

No you wouldn't. 

Power to weight ratio= power (watts) : weight (kg) 

500:200=2.5

250:100=2.5.

Someone's a little rusty ;)

Yes I would. That's what I'm saying. Power to weight ratio doesn't matter. With the same power to weight ratio, at a constant speed, the object with more power is going faster.

Look mate, no offence but I don't think you're going to get it. I can't really put it any more simple. This is stuff Newton discovered in the 17th century. Mass has no effect at a constant speed, only when accelerating or decelerating. Therefore track cycling is all about power over drag.

Don't take my word for it though, have a Google. 

26 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Yes I would. That's what I'm saying. Power to weight ratio doesn't matter. With the same power to weight ratio, at a constant speed, the object with more power is going faster 

:crylaugh:

Your still getting the same output power in both your examples, so no, your not going faster.The extra power from input is going into turning the load.

I wouldn't be so patronising if I was that bad at thinking I knew it all.

9 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

I'm surprised rutherford didn't make more of a fuss about his foul jump, Think that one would have won gold  by some distance and there didn't really seem to be much of a mark on the line and stills appear to show he didn't actually touch it.

EooMbCu.jpg

he was awarded that jump after review, it counted towards his final position.

3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

:crylaugh:

Your still getting the same output power in both your examples, so no, your not going faster.The extra power from input is going into turning the load.

I wouldn't be so patronising if I was that bad at thinking I knew it all.

*You're

Input and output power? Wtf?

Fair enough, you've completely flummoxed me with this tangent. I have no idea what this has to do with my assertion that power to weight ratio isn't important in track cycling

I take it you didn't have a Google then?

9 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Unlucky for ennis but Thiam was very good from the high jump onwards.

If KJT could sort out her throwing it will be a good battle in future between her & Thiam as they are very evenly matched phsically. KJT is quicker on the track but there are 12 year old kids who can throw a Javelin & shot put farther than she can

KJT makes my list of athletes who have literally never done anything except underperform every time I watch them. Obviously the athletes on this list must be good, because I rarely watch athletics and people who do always talk about them like they're important, but every time I see them they do terribly. Martin Rooney and Renaud Lavillenie also founding members of this club. 

Â