Euro players and Brexit

Villafied

The lower pound may mean we may not be able to attract the really top european players. I think the Premier League will slightly be devalued in the short-term. Guess nothing will change with players coming and going until the exit deals have been negotiated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Players will cost more and wages will not be as high. 

I don't recall that being an issue 5 years ago when the pound was weaker against the euro than it is now.

Plus, wages will be as high as the club is willing to pay. £100,000 a week still buys the same amount of stuff now as it did this time last week, regardless of how weak the pound is vs the euro.

There was a lot of talk about things like this when the Russian Ruble plummeted when the west started with sanctions against Russia a few years back.

Not sure how it turned out, but the doomsday scenario where every non Russian player (in both football and ice hockey) would leave has not happened as of yet.

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hang on though. If the pound has collapsed doesn't this mean that whatever money Xia was going to pump in will now be worth more in GBP? 

If they were already transferred and converted to pounds then no.

If they were not, then yes.

I think...

Don't forget we won't have to pay them as much though because once they are here they can access our NHS for free though. . Boooooo all foreign players out. 

The Pound dropping was a kneejerk reaction for the richlist to suck a little more of the little mans money up.

Give it month and the pound will rise again

Norway & Switzerland dont have too much trouble being stable.

Politiking

It'll be another 2 and half years before we're out anyway. Even if we cant negotiate a "Exempt Status"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

The Pound dropping was a kneejerk reaction for the richlist to suck a little more of the little mans money up.

Give it month and the pound will rise again

Norway & Switzerland dont have too much trouble being stable.

Politiking

It'll be another 2 and half years before we're out anyway. Even if we cant negotiate a "Exempt Status"

The pound will be weaker for a few years, you can bet on that.

On June 24, 2016 at 11:34, sexbelowsound said:

Send them all back to where they came from. I can't believe they were allowed here in the first place to take jobs away from Jay Spearing and the like.

Would he have played any worse than our lot last year?

Short term, nothing will change except British talent will become even more expensive as there is a game-theoretical benefit to stockpiling it early, in anticipation of the introduction of EU work visas. 

Long term, more issues will need to be decided, such as what relevance the Bosman ruling will have in the future and whether EU nationals will need to have played 75% of games for their country or whatever the rule currently is for non-EU players. Expect to hear a lot of factlets about how Payet and Kante couldn't have joined the league last season. 

18 hours ago, Godders said:

I don't recall that being an issue 5 years ago when the pound was weaker against the euro than it is now.

Plus, wages will be as high as the club is willing to pay. £100,000 a week still buys the same amount of stuff now as it did this time last week, regardless of how weak the pound is vs the euro.

It buys the same amount in the UK. It buys considerably less everywhere else, and the players being discussed likely want to spend a good portion of their time everywhere else. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26 June 2016 at 05:27, Raymond said:

It buys the same amount in the UK. It buys considerably less everywhere else, and the players being discussed likely want to spend a good portion of their time everywhere else. 

Indeed. I believe the price of shisha in Dubai has gone through the roof.

Â